Looks like Apple is stepping in to the gaming ring.

General and high profile video game topics.
Rookie1

Looks like Apple is stepping in to the gaming ring.

Postby Rookie1 » September 7th, 2015, 7:36 am

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/apple ... 03996.html

Saw this article today. Not sure what they are planning, maybe something comparable to the STEAM Machine? I highly doubt they would do anything disc based.

Curious to see what they come up with.

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Looks like Apple is stepping in to the gaming ring.

Postby Hardcore Sadism » September 7th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Curious to see what they come up with.

This is a common click-bait, because people for whatever reason are eager to see Apple destroy console gaming like they, EA, and Activision had for portable games. These articles pop up every time a product of theirs (re) releases.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » September 7th, 2015, 2:24 pm

It didn't work 20 years ago with the PipPin. I remember that bomb of a console. What makes anyone think they could do it now?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 7th, 2015, 3:55 pm

SigSauerLover wrote:It didn't work 20 years ago with the PipPin. I remember that bomb of a console. What makes anyone think they could do it now?

I hear it is going to be a dress that plays video games. In a world first they will make the ultimate game frock!

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 7th, 2015, 4:01 pm

SigSauerLover wrote:It didn't work 20 years ago with the PipPin. I remember that bomb of a console. What makes anyone think they could do it now?

I completely forgot about that thing. I remember being super excited about it. :lol:

My guess is that it would be connected to STEAM in some way. Or host games directly from iTunes (more plausible). I dont know how "next-gen" it will be, but its not hard to fathom that it could support PS3/360 level graphics.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 8th, 2015, 2:55 am

I just figured this would work like an OUYA except run IOS instead of android. Is there more to it than this?

Tron

Postby Tron » September 8th, 2015, 7:35 am

Wallyworld wrote:I just figured this would work like an OUYA except run IOS instead of android. Is there more to it than this?

That's what I was thinking. Like Rookie stated it's extremely unlikely that it will support physical media so I'm out.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » September 9th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Lol, Apple being Apple over charging you for last years product in a new shell with only a bigger screen to spare. Let's also release the Apple TV with as little compelling reason to upgrade from the previous generation model than before, and a remote that's more likely to break. Wonderful.

This ~*~*~*~*~*~NEW~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Apple TV is never going to be a fit gaming console. Never.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm

With only 64gb storage max, no way to add external storage, and a Wiimote-like controller at the outset the new AppleTV won't be competing on the level of the Xbox One and PS4. Microsoft and Sony have nothing to worry about. The new AppleTV is more along the lines of an Amazon Fire when it comes to gaming. They really treated gaming as an afterthought in the keynote. That said, the new Siri integration is pretty impressive, it looks like a great upgrade from the previous models and I like how it can search across all of your content providers for the show or movie you're looking for, plus the way of controlling it with Siri is neat. Of everything they announced this morning, the new Apple TV is what I'm most interested in.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 9th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Apple updated their site to pimp this as the first of many controllers for the Apple TV. https://steelseries.com/gaming-controllers/nimbus

Nice, I like the layout of the controller. Still, I want that new Apple TV for the Siri integration, so awesome. With the forthcoming apps for tvOS I think I should be able to retire my old HTPC and clear a bunch of space in my entertainment center.

Return to “Video Games General”