With the Plague Knight add-on, Shovel Knight is now in my all-time top 5...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

With the Plague Knight add-on, Shovel Knight is now in my all-time top 5...

Postby Paul Campbell » September 18th, 2015, 4:17 pm

After downloading the free Plague Knight upgrade last night and playing for a while, I am officially putting Shovel Knight somewhere in my unofficial top 5 games of all time. There is not a game on this green Earth right now than I would rather be playing than Shovel Knight with this new reason to play, and that is really saying something. Even though the Plague Knight character is more difficult to control, he adds a new dimention to the control that I think is a fun challenge. And playing through the first few levels only served to remind me how absolutely incredible the core game is. The music is absolute, AUTHENTIC 8-bit bliss. I have been humming the first level tune all day now. It seriously is as catchy as anything to come out of the 8-bit era, and it sounds like it COULD HAVE come from the 8-bit era, not a modern tune done in 8-bit style.

I could go on forever, but I'll cut this short as i know how much I hate long posts. This is such a friggin' awesome game. I can't stress it enough. Dave needs to find some way to review this thing as soon as possible simply because I want him to experience it. It is absolutely everything good about 8-bit gaming, and none of the bad stuff that we have complained about over the years. It's also challenging as hell without ever seemeing unfair. I hav to stop now because I will end up rambling on forever about how good Shovel Knight is.

Tron

Re: With the Plague Knight add-on, Shovel Knight is now in my all-time top 5...

Postby Tron » September 18th, 2015, 10:28 pm

I'm getting this on the 3DS when it comes out. Think this content will be on the 3DS cartridge or will I have to download it?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 19th, 2015, 3:51 am

I assume it will be a download, partially because you have to beat the initial quest to be able to receive the download. I think there is a way around that, though...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 19th, 2015, 3:58 am

And in case I wasn't clear before, the additional content only served to remind me how great the game is. The game doesn't NEED anything more. It was already perfect.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 19th, 2015, 6:15 am

Paul Campbell wrote: I can't stress it enough. Dave needs to find some way to review this thing as soon as possible simply because I want him to experience it. It is absolutely everything good about 8-bit gaming, and none of the bad stuff that we have complained about over the years. It's also challenging as hell without ever seemeing unfair. I hav to stop now because I will end up rambling on forever about how good Shovel Knight is.

It's coming out in physical release I believe (and it is getting an Amiibo to boot), so if it makes Dave happier with it, he should buy it that way. I would hate him to waste any energy or enjoyment being upset about it being a download, and then miss the fact that it's completely perfect.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 19th, 2015, 12:45 pm

I can't wait to pick this up next month... I'm buying it day 1 and I know I'm going to love it. I'm so happy that they are actually doing a physical release for the game.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 23rd, 2015, 6:17 am

I love Shovel Knight, but I find it really hard to get used to the controls of Plague Knight.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 23rd, 2015, 3:09 pm

I prefer physical media as much as the next person but this game was worth getting when it first came out as download-only, if for no other reason than supporting Yacht Club Games. I won't let download-only deprive me of a good game, especially if it's for a deep discount like often happens with big budget games. I'll probably pick this up on disc for the Wii U as well even though I already have it since I got the autographed soundtrack and other goodies for it last year at their booth at PAX Prime, may as well complete the collection! I'm going to want that Amiibo too...

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 28th, 2015, 5:55 am

So I finished the Plague Knight add-on. I found it difficult to control, but things got a lot easier when I required the floating burst update. So if you have troubles in the beginning of the game, try to get it as soon as possible.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 28th, 2015, 11:59 am

CaptainCruch wrote:So I finished the Plague Knight add-on. I found it difficult to control, but things got a lot easier when I required the floating burst update. So if you have troubles in the beginning of the game, try to get it as soon as possible.

That's exactly how I felt. And while the Plague Knight control is difficult, I really enjoyed the challenge. It was tough but also was a kind of control I don't think I have ever seen a game try to do, so it was still a fun experience. But a lesser game than Shovel Knight probably wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Return to “Video Games General”