Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
NX17

Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

Postby NX17 » October 6th, 2015, 6:46 pm

I think so. Microsoft announced a ton of bundles this past week. PS4 is rumored to be getting a $50 price drop as well. And Wii U? Holding firm at $300 with a game bundle. Their "big" value game is a bundle of launch New Super Mario Bros U and 'expansion' Luigi U for ... $60! :roll:

The rest of the lineup:
- Yoshi's Wooly World for $50 - I don't have anything against Yoshi but $50 for this series with a low amount of content and replays based on collectibles is way too much.
- Fatal Frame (download only) - not interested in this niche genre, not even a retail release
- Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival - a simple party game with Amiibo pack ins
- Mario Tennis - looks barebones like the poor 3DS release
- Xenoblade Chronicles - probably the most critically acclaim release, but also the most niche, not interested in these types of games
- Devil's Third - Nintendo publishing one of the worst reviewed, broken games of the year

I really don't see how Nintendo can shovel this out. The 3DS slate is no better. They're obviously preparing for the future, but they've seem to flat out conceded having any sort of value for the holidays. MSRP isn't dropping, and their idea of value is charging full price for a launch game that came out three years ago, with an add on game that released after.

Rookie1

Re: Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

Postby Rookie1 » October 6th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Yeah I don't know what their game plan is. People have very short attention spans and i just feel like a poor lineup is going to cost them. I hear the argument going back and forth about the WiiU being dead or not. I'm torn as sales haven't been terrible, but there just isn't much of a library. I think next year will make or break the system. If they don't pump out some flagship titles I think the system Will be lost.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 6th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Yeah, I'm bummed Star Fox isn't coming out. That and Battlefront were going to be the two new games I was going to pick up this fall. Halo 5 with no split-screen isn't seeing a retail purchase from me.

I still hold my ground that the NX is coming out next year. Considering they're focusing so much on software for something other than the Wii U it might even come out in the summer versus the fall.

Does anyone remember when the 3DS launched or the DS? I feel like both were more spring/summer releases but I could be completely wrong.

It's funny but Nintendo has yet to come out with a Player's Choice line up of games. If the retail market is inching games up to $70 new for out of print games Nintendo could make a few easy bucks by release $20-30 games of prior hits.

NX17

Postby NX17 » October 6th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Yeah I don't know what their game plan is. People have very short attention spans and i just feel like a poor lineup is going to cost them. I hear the argument going back and forth about the WiiU being dead or not. I'm torn as sales haven't been terrible, but there just isn't much of a library. I think next year will make or break the system. If they don't pump out some flagship titles I think the system Will be lost.

Console sales or major game release sales? I mean Amiibo and big name releases like Mario Maker and Splatoon have kept them afloat software wise, but hardware wise Wii U is about as big of a bomb as it gets. It's going to end up the worst selling home console of all time for Nintendo, below the Gamecube.

I don't get why Nintendo is making a half hearted effort. Either TRY to sell it, or don't make any effort at all and invest the rest into the next console. There's no sense in wasting 10-20% of your resources to send out a trickle of games that won't sale.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » October 6th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Yeah I don't know what their game plan is. People have very short attention spans and i just feel like a poor lineup is going to cost them. I hear the argument going back and forth about the WiiU being dead or not. I'm torn as sales haven't been terrible, but there just isn't much of a library. I think next year will make or break the system. If they don't pump out some flagship titles I think the system Will be lost.

Nintendo doesn't get it and its loyalists won't ever either, and this is coming from someone who owns a good chunk of their hardware history. When people get too cozy, CEO's/Presidents get cocky. Then you have clowns like Reggie throwing lip Don Mattrick style, we have every damn right to ask about Zelda and Metroid. I get into a conversation about whether or not the Wii U is a decent investment now and nobody I've talked to were ever objective about it -- had to whine about the other guys.

Nintendo drop a bombshell about the NX please this is getting old.

They're just like the post-2004 SONY during the initial years of the PS3 and PSP, no idea how to handle their company assets and ended up replacing once-major company figureheads.

NX17

Postby NX17 » October 6th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Hardcore Sadism wrote:

Nintendo doesn't get it and its loyalists won't ever either, and this is coming from someone who owns a good chunk of their hardware history. When people get too cozy, CEO's/Presidents get cocky. Then you have clowns like Reggie throwing lip Don Mattrick style, we have every damn right to ask about Zelda and Metroid. I get into a conversation about whether or not the Wii U is a decent investment now and nobody I've talked to were ever objective about it -- had to whine about the other guys.

Nintendo drop a bombshell about the NX please this is getting old.

They're just like the post-2004 SONY during the initial years of the PS3 and PSP, no idea how to handle their company assets and ended up replacing once-major company figureheads.

I rather them now announce NX until they actually are going to do something about it. They need to stop getting into these Zelda and Starfox situations where games are announced a year and a half to two years before release. And honestly, I think they need to consider pushing every Wii U title next year to NX and forget about Wii U. They really need a strong launch for the new platform, they can't have a repeat of the Wii U disaster.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » October 6th, 2015, 10:29 pm

The cost of the Wii U Gamepad is most likely why they don't want to drop the price of the console, it's an unfortunate situation for them because the very thing that makes the system unique and interesting is the very thing that is keeping them from significantly cutting the price. It's too bad because I really like the Wii U.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 7th, 2015, 9:04 am

NX17 wrote:
Console sales or major game release sales? I mean Amiibo and big name releases like Mario Maker and Splatoon have kept them afloat software wise, but hardware wise Wii U is about as big of a bomb as it gets.

There is no money in console sales. The profit margins are super slim, if there even is one, and most of the times the systems are made at a substantial loss.

The money is in the software, and the WiiU has had massive software and peripheral sales. There just isnt enough software out there though. There is a handful of games keeping the system relevant right now, but still no release of key franchises. Zelda, Metroid, Starfox? They keep getting pushed further and further back.

NX17

Postby NX17 » October 7th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
NX17 wrote:
Console sales or major game release sales? I mean Amiibo and big name releases like Mario Maker and Splatoon have kept them afloat software wise, but hardware wise Wii U is about as big of a bomb as it gets.

There is no money in console sales. The profit margins are super slim, if there even is one, and most of the times the systems are made at a substantial loss.

The money is in the software, and the WiiU has had massive software and peripheral sales. There just isnt enough software out there though. There is a handful of games keeping the system relevant right now, but still no release of key franchises. Zelda, Metroid, Starfox? They keep getting pushed further and further back.

Typically there's no money in consoles if it's what Microsoft and Sony do. The original XBox and Playstation 3 lost massive amounts of money. Eventually there are cost savings over time with scale and getting more efficient with manufacturing though.

Nintendo typically doesn't lose money on consoles though. Wii was profitable from day one. If they made a completely standard console with Wii U, no Gamepad and not worried about backwards compatibility, the console would have been very profitable.

Nintendo pushes out more software than most any company in the world. The problem is their resources are put into two different platforms, split into half. That's what hopefully the NX rectifies, they develop ONE game on a common platform and it comes out for both handheld and console. If you combined 3DS and Wii U lineups each year it's pretty formidable. Not only that, but you would draw more third parties in because more people are buying it because of Nintendo support.

NX17

Postby NX17 » October 8th, 2015, 7:33 am

And Sony drops the PS4 price $50. Now XBONE and PS4 with huge hard drives and game collection bundles are $350 and Wii U is $300 with a game and 32 GBs of capacity. Sheesh, Nintendo really doesn't care do they?

Return to “Video Games General”