Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron

Re: Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

Postby Tron » November 25th, 2015, 11:38 pm

It would be interesting to see how Steer would put a positive spin on all this. At one time I agreed with his opinions when he'd bash DLC & microtransactions. Then when Nintendo started doing it he backtracked to say "Nintendo does it different so it's ok". What?!?!

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » November 28th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Tron wrote:"Nintendo does it different so it's ok".

This sums up why Nintendo doesn't move past an inch on the drawing board anymore. Too many suck up apologists think a lack of shooters and a worsening support model for their games marketplace is "different".

Wait until they pull a Steve Jobs and fall back on what they said they will never do.

Playing safe was never an innovating standard when Atari re-released a home computer as the 5200 console, what makes Nintendo think it's any different through hyperbole nowadays?

scotland

Postby scotland » December 10th, 2015, 9:25 am

Microsoft is continuing with discounts on bundles.On Amazon, I noticed even a Lego movie bundle, which is going for a family demographic. There is a 1 tb bundle with rare replay and gears of war on disc for $350. Compare that to a 32GB Wii U with Splatoon (digital preinstalled) and super smash bros (digital preinstalled) for the same $350 price. There are $300 PS4 bundles that compete with XB1 bundles too but with smaller hard drives. Its hard to see the value in a Wii U bundle in 2015 and no matter the talk of NX not replacing the Wii U, Nintendo should really hope it does.

NX17

Postby NX17 » December 10th, 2015, 9:45 am

scotland wrote:Microsoft is continuing with discounts on bundles.On Amazon, I noticed even a Lego movie bundle, which is going for a family demographic. There is a 1 tb bundle with rare replay and gears of war on disc for $350. Compare that to a 32GB Wii U with Splatoon (digital preinstalled) and super smash bros (digital preinstalled) for the same $350 price. There are $300 PS4 bundles that compete with XB1 bundles too but with smaller hard drives. Its hard to see the value in a Wii U bundle in 2015 and no matter the talk of NX not replacing the Wii U, Nintendo should really hope it does.

Well NPD sales figures come out later today. The fact that Microsoft and Sony have sent out all this PR saying how well their Black Friday weekends went, and Nintendo has been completely quiet says a lot. I can't imagine Wii U doing all that well. Nintendo always does well in the holidays, but I bet this is one of their poorer ones ever.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » December 10th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Well if nothing else, Target's customers really wanted it on black Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbDe-N1ZiTo

NX17

Postby NX17 » December 10th, 2015, 1:50 pm

nesfan wrote:Well if nothing else, Target's customers really wanted it on black Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbDe-N1ZiTo

I really don't give much credence to retailer specific lists. Sometimes people try to extrapolate data from things like Amazon top 50 lists to see how something sold, and it doesn't match up when the real figures come out.

I don't remember the Black Friday deals off the top of my head for Target, but I recall Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy being the aggressors as far as pushing PS4/XBox One sales, so maybe consumers went to those places for those consoles leaving Wii U by default? Who knows how they came up with it.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 11th, 2015, 10:00 pm

I just read a brilliant article from:

Forbes.com

It's called: Why I'm angry at Nintendo.

It's written by: Paul Tassi

I'd provide a link, but I don't know how to do that. Hopefully I've given enough info & someone here will actually read it. The article illustrates a lot of the frustrations that I also have on the Wii U.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 12th, 2015, 12:37 am

Rev

Postby Rev » December 12th, 2015, 12:49 am

I just read the article- brilliant. His frustrations were dead on with how I've been feeling about Nintendo over the last year. I can't believe how they seem to make the same mistakes over and over and never seem to learn from them. The Wii U gamepad is a huge waste and if games were dedicated to it or used it intelligently that is one thing, but no games ever do. The console has very few games, no third party support, refuses to drop its price, and is a generation behind in power. Nintendo is maddening...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 12th, 2015, 8:18 am

I'd nitpick a bit and say that I feel like the DS is where this trend started. Shoehorning touch screen control into experiences where it was detrimental just for the sake of utilizing the feature and justifying the inclusion of it with the hardware, was the start of this attitude at Nintendo where they had to change how we play games every generation.

I'd also argue somewhat with him writing off the Wii U's gamepad. Sure, the console has never approached justifying the integration of the touch screen from the DS line. But while it's unfortunate that this major selling point has foundered, you're still left with a comfortable and surprisingly lightweight modern console controller here.

Virtually all of the hallmarks that we now expect are here. Dual analog sticks that are clickable for L3/R3 functions, the traditional d-pad, four face buttons, shoulder bumpers, and shoulder triggers are all present and everything is essentially oriented in a conventional manner. The only thing remotely unusual here is the lack of analog control with the triggers, which is hardly an issue given the absence of games like racing simcades that actually benefit from the feature.

Return to “Video Games General”