Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: Worst Nintendo holiday lineup and pricing ever?

Postby Voor » December 15th, 2015, 9:15 am

Yeah, Nintendo has to be careful with their next system, or it could send them to the grave.

They should embrace the hardware wars! Remember they whole bit wars era?? That was awesome, and Nintendo should try to one up Sony and Microsoft with their hardware, price be damned. I think people would pay an extra $100 at least if it means Nintendo isn't just for little kids anymore.

But maybe the probably isn't their hardware and design decisions. Maybe it's just that their franchise games are just played out--Zelda, mario, Smash, etc.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 15th, 2016, 2:39 pm

scotland wrote:Gamestop stock is taking a hit as their new software sales for the holiday period were down almost 10%. They cast blame, in part, on Nintendo's poor holiday lineup.

Overall sales for Gamestop went up about 2%, and the XboxOne and PS4 seem to selling fine. Investors are also worried digital distribution is starting to hurt Gamestop. A WSJ article had an analyst suggesting about 1 in 4 games for the XboxOne and PS4 are downloads.

Gamestop should never have left the retro gaming market. I know their stores are usually pretty small (and now that thinkgeek has bought them out, their floor is packed wall to wall with all kinds of junk) but they need a better variety to offer other than just the (current) big 3. Even if they were super picky about what stuff they took in from past gen consoles, they would at least have a wider variety to offer.

Now they are trying to play catch-up on the retro market and its biting them in the butt.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 15th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Other way round I think, Gamestop bought Thinkgeek. I like Thinkgeek online, but I don't need Gamestop being a toystore. I need Gamestop on Friday nights when I want a new game, not a Walking Dead vinyl doll or something. However, it may just show how worried Gamestop is about going out like Blockbuster.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 15th, 2016, 3:40 pm

I have always hated Gamestop. Do they still put the disc into an opened case with their impossible to remove stickers when you buy a new game?

Last time I bought a game from them it was like when Bioshock came out, and I got the whole spiel about how ifI didn't pre-order they didn't have any stock and I should pre-order any games I want because they all sell out so fast. :roll: Walked next door into Wal Mart and bought the game.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Gosh I hope they go out of business.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 15th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Shapur wrote:I have always hated Gamestop. Do they still put the disc into an opened case with their impossible to remove stickers when you buy a new game?

Last time I bought a game from them it was like when Bioshock came out, and I got the whole spiel about how ifI didn't pre-order they didn't have any stock and I should pre-order any games I want because they all sell out so fast. :roll: Walked next door into Wal Mart and bought the game.

I got that for Vice City. That was the last time I ever actually went to a store for a new release game. I went to GS on release day and asked for the game. The guy asked if I pre-ordered the game, and then told me I would never find it when I told him no. Went next door to best buy and they had hundreds of them.

Subsequently, I went there to buy a new game once as it was on sale. I went to the counter and asked for it, and they pulled the disc out of a yellow paper sleeve and put it in the case. I told them I wanted a new copy and was told that was a new copy. I said I wanted a sealed copy, and the lady said they didnt have any sealed.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 15th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Shapur wrote:I have always hated Gamestop. Do they still put the disc into an opened case with their impossible to remove stickers when you buy a new game?

Gamestop's stickers are easier to remove than in the past. Still, I've found ways to safely remove their stickers without damaging the case or artwork. Goo Gone is my best friend.

i think the main reason I go there are their cheap prices (usually) for used games. I have picked up a stupid amount of used games there recently and with the 10% discount for the cards, sales, and generally low prices, I got a lot of good deals. However, during periods where old consoles aren't being phased out, they are nothing special.

Return to “Video Games General”