Best Mario Kart Game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Best Mario Kart Game?

Postby Retrology » January 21st, 2016, 2:23 am

Was just playing a bunch of MK today and thought of this question.

If I had to choose, I would say Mario Kart 7. The game is just pure fun, with ramps and speed boosts everywhere, shortcuts, great track design, and fantastic smooth graphics. It's pretty much the ultimate package, and each track is full of surprises and eye candy.

I've never played the original or the Wii U version, so here's how I'd rank them

Wii
DS
Super Circuit
Double Dash
64 (Think it's a good game but severely overrated IMO)

Thoughts?

Voor

Re: Best Mario Kart Game?

Postby Voor » January 21st, 2016, 7:24 am

One of those things where nostalgia factors in. For Battle mode, I'd have to go with the original--flat courses and the feather made it more frantic (and much less "where is he?").

Other modes:
DOuble dash
DS
Super circuit

Haven't played the Wii, U, or 3DS versions....

Rev

Postby Rev » January 21st, 2016, 6:17 pm

I've played (and I think have owned/own) every single Mario Kart game. They are definitely not all equal. Here is my list:

Mario Kart DS- favorite Mario Kart game by far. I loved the online component when it was there, even though everyone snaked. I actually enjoyed learning how to snake and beating all the times. I loved time trial and trying to beat my best records.

Mario Kart 8- A loved playing this game online, and the DLC is fair and expands the game. The courses are some of my favorite in the series and I love playing Toadette.

Mario Kart Double Dash- I really loved this one as well and played it a ton. This game is the only one (that I know of) where you can race on every single course in one long competition mode.

Super Mario Kart- the original holds up really well and has a lot of fun features that future games got rid of. The feather was a lot of fun.

Mario Kart 64- multiplayer is one of the best in the series, although the rubber band AI was irritating.

Mario Kart Wii- A good game but too random with the items.

Mario Kart Advanced- one of my least favorite games and the few courses I liked were later ported to other versions. I know some people love this one but it wasn't for me.

Mario Kart 7- My least favorite, I didn't even try to clear all the competition courses and quickly sold it. The gliders are too slow as well....

JWK

Postby JWK » January 23rd, 2016, 10:35 am

I'll try to rely on my memory here and be somewhat concise.

Super Mario Kart - A classic in every sense of the word. Being the first of its kind, it had no business being as good as it is. That said, it's less hectic and far more pedestrian than its successors.

Mario Kart 64 - At the time, my favorite game ever made. Multiplayer was hours of fun in both racing and battle mode. It has NOT aged well, though, much as it pains me to say it. Let your nostalgia keep its memories on this one.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit - successfully pays homage to the original, but falls prey to the same pitfalls. Fun, but still slower and kind of sparse tracks.

Mario Kart Double Dash - A true follow up to MK64, this quickly became the multiplayer dorm room King. Fast and frantic, it's not unusual to hear fans call it the best in the series.

Mario Kart DS - An absolute classic and quite possibly the greatest game on the system. Fantastic tracks and endlessly replay-able races.

Mario Kart Wii - A game that will forever be stuck in the crossfire of the fanbase. Not as impressive or fun as other full console releases, it still has some very good tracks that got remixed and even better in the next two games. Despite what many will say, it's still a very good game.

Mario Kart 7 - Would probably be the best handheld game in the series if it wasn't for the water or the cramps that come with using the circle pad. Still incredible fun, great courses and beautiful graphics.

Mario Kart 8 - My subjective view: the greatest game on the Wii U, the greatest game in the series and one of the best games of all time. Both imaginative and true to the series, it also manages to be a technical benchmark for the entire genre. The races are hectic and I find myself losing a lot in a series that's been notoriously easy. Mario Kart 8 is nearly a perfect game.

Ranking:
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 3DS
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart Super Circuit

Retrology

Postby Retrology » January 23rd, 2016, 3:14 pm

Rev, you make a good point about the slow gliders in MK7, and I understand why you dislike them. Personally, however, I think the reason I love that aspect was most of the time, you could use the glider to find alternative routes and "air geysers" if you will.

But yeah, I can respect your viewpoint, and that's what's so great about the Mario Kart series. There's really no definitive "best" in the series. Each game offers its own advantages/traits.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 23rd, 2016, 7:24 pm

Retrology wrote:Rev, you make a good point about the slow gliders in MK7, and I understand why you dislike them. Personally, however, I think the reason I love that aspect was most of the time, you could use the glider to find alternative routes and "air geysers" if you will.

But yeah, I can respect your viewpoint, and that's what's so great about the Mario Kart series. There's really no definitive "best" in the series. Each game offers its own advantages/traits.

Yeah, each game in the series is slightly tweaked so depending on your tastes there is bound to be one Mario Kart that nails it for you. If you like more items and chaos- MK Wii, online- MK 8, simplicity- SMK, etc, etc...

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 24th, 2016, 9:12 pm

SMK and MK64 will always be my faves.

jon

Postby jon » January 24th, 2016, 10:29 pm

I never understood why some people don't like Mario Kart 64. It's flaws didn't bother me too much, and if it subtracts from the game, it merely takes it down from all time classic to still being a great game. I understand the issues with the rubber band AI. But apparently there's people who don't like the track designs. I thought they were great, maybe not all time great but still serviceable. Rainbow Road was a fascinating track with great music that captured the mood of the entire Mario franchise. It was a companion to Super Mario 64 and the two together were dynamite launch titles for the N64. It had great 3d graphics at a time, late 1996, when it was kind of groundbreaking. I didn't care too much for the original Super Mario Kart. I didn't like that in single player you could only use half the screen, like why?

Voor

Postby Voor » January 25th, 2016, 7:07 am

Agreed. i guess they liked the fact that you had an option to see something else besides what was in front of you.

MK64 blew my mind when it came out. Such an improvement over the original, though I still feel the original had the best battle mode.

Return to “Video Games General”