no 2D?

General and high profile video game topics.
sega saturn x

no 2D?

Postby sega saturn x » March 6th, 2005, 11:39 am

The reason people love virtua fighter is the same reason you hate it.  The game is all about acurate moves and thinking before you atack.  In other words its not a button masher and soul calibur 1 and 2 is.  Ive been playing virtua fighter for a long time now and after playing just abotu every other decent looking 3-d fighter out there im sure its the best.  What people dont get is depth has nothing to do with character storys or endings or how flashy a game is.  Its all about beating your oppenent with skill and style.  And as for not liking ikruaga well just screw you.

Zenzerotron

no 2D?

Postby Zenzerotron » March 6th, 2005, 2:59 pm

It's not fair to classify the Soul Calibur series as simple button mashers. There's simply button mashing for those who wish to follow that route. Maxi is a button masher character, but Ivy is quite the oppisite. There's also a good counter-attack&parrying system that you can learn to punish those who button mash.

What's great about the Soul Calibur games is the fact that it's as deep as you want it to be. It's up to you, you can either keep it simple and use button masher characters, or you can spend tons of time with the game and learn complex combos and timing.

I hate games like VF4 that force you to spend tons of time with it to learn it's depth just to get anywhere; and I equally hate fighting games like KOF Maximum Impact where it's pure button mashing and there's no point in investing time in it because there's no deeper game under the surface.

To some degree, every 3D fighting game needs some degree of button mashing. Too little or too much button mashing is what spoils a 3D fighting game, there has to be a balance.

I love arcade shooters. I have almost every Dreamcast, PSone, and PS2 arcade shooter that you can think of. Ikargua is just too "different" or something. It's presentation is certainly boring. The difficulty balance/ramp is non-existant, and well...I just plain don't like it, so screw you back

sega saturn x

no 2D?

Postby sega saturn x » March 6th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Thats what i love about ikaruga ther is nothing else like it and its good.  So its the nights of shooters.  And really i only know a few simple moces for each charcater in virtua fighter and i do fine you dont need to know moves.  Its all about timeing  i highly rcomend trying it again.  But this time ignore all the acolade its gotten and just play it as if you had never heard of it.

Caf

no 2D?

Postby Caf » March 7th, 2005, 10:46 am

My 5 year old son was demolishing my adult (and long-time Jacky user) playing VF4 the other day. His strategy: triangle, triange. Down, Triangle triangle triangle. repeat.

I laughed out loud.  The kid was button mashing the punch button, which is a fast attack. The seasons player was trying more deadly (but slower activating) moves and getting penalized for not 'learning'.

Jeffrey has some fast punches. Simply blocking put an end to his button mashing and allowed reaction time to pull off a great back kick or throw move.  So you CAN button mash in VF4 if your opponent is dumb enough.

By the way, if you had been playing VF since the original, you'd find there was not much more to learn w/VF4.

sega saturn x

no 2D?

Postby sega saturn x » March 7th, 2005, 12:37 pm

Yeah but of your oppenent is smart he will block.  My 8 year old cousin tried to do what you said button mash he picked kage (every one loves ninjas) and i was jacky.  He tried to low kick me to death (we had just been playing street fighter) but i blocked him every time and then used a hold or i similar quick move.  He lost every time the big hard to pull off moves can do buckets of damage on the computer.  But most dealing with himan players there pretty impossible to use.  And i totaly agree that if you can master one VF yu can master them all but thats what i like.  I i spent an hour learning a hard move i dont want it not to be in the next.  But vf4 did add a lto of new moves.  And just for the record i dont think soul calibur is bad hell i think its second best but i do think virtua fighjter is a better game.  And i started playing them at 2 since it came with my saturn.

Caf

no 2D?

Postby Caf » March 7th, 2005, 1:25 pm

I loved VF2 both at the arcade and on Sega Saturn. Played the Saturn version all the time, 1P and 2P battles. After playing Saturn VF2, I could not get into Tekken 2 at all.

But on the DC, I loved Soul Calibur more than VF3. Soul Calibur was done ... so "right" ... 

But then on the new systems, I found Soul Calibur 2 to be rehased, in ways not even as fun as Dreamcast Soul Calibur.  As 2-player games, my old DC Soul Calibur opponent and I quickly grew bored with SC2.

But VF4 Evolution, man what a great title. It takes all that I loved about VF and does it right. The visuals are great yet still true to the original series, the fighting style hasn't been dumbed down but has been made easier to access with the shoulder buttons usage and the easier 3D dodging (which they took from Soul Calibur!).  

In my opinion, after all these years, VF4 is all I need for 3D fighters.

sega saturn x

no 2D?

Postby sega saturn x » March 8th, 2005, 9:53 pm

Couldent have said it better myself.

Return to “Video Games General”