Games so bad you have to shut it off

General and high profile video game topics.
lynchie137

Re: Games so bad you have to shut it off

Postby lynchie137 » October 21st, 2018, 9:24 pm

After perusing through some of The Critic's reviews for the NES, I have stumbled upon another game that I just can't play through. And that one, ladies and gents, would be Godzilla for the NES. Now truth be told, I've never heard of this game until I watched the AVGN's review of it in one of his videos. Which in turn, compelled me to try it out for myself just to see if he was correct in his assessment of it. And boy, was he ever! Godzilla is just so mind numbingly repetitive and boring that it feels like an endurance test just to finish one battle. So I can only imagine what it must be like to sit down and play this one through to the bitter end.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » October 21st, 2018, 9:29 pm

Voor wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Surprised to see that nobody has mentioned the Swordquest series of games yet.

I don’t think those are really games. Just a means to play that crazy contest. That’s one of my favorite moments in video game history

Oh, it sounded like a cool contest. No question about it. I mean, who'd pass up a chance to win prizes made of actual precious metals and stones? I know I wouldn't if I was a gamer back in the day. It's such a shame that the actual games were just pure junk imho..

bigfriendly

Postby bigfriendly » December 9th, 2023, 5:55 pm

Boy, I could write a book about my experience with the first two Swordquest games. I honestly thought that if I just played Earthworld for long enough that I would discover all of the clues and complete the game. After finding the first two clues 16-4 and 8-4 I was totally stumped. It was a month or two later when I came across the 3rd clue 25-6. My discovery briefly brought some excitment back into my group about Earthworld but even after many, many additional hours of dedicated play I never found another clue. I finally gave up on Swordquest but I never forgot about the game and contest. In the early 2000s I came across an Atari with some games at a yardsale and Earthworld was among the games that came with the 2600. It then hit me like a bolt of lightning that maybe the solution to the Swordquest series might be online somewhere. So I checked and sure enough I found it and the same site is still up to this day and it hasn't changed one bit. Anyway, after finishing the game I realized that Swordquest Earthworld was nothing but a cruel joke that Atari played on me and many others. No one on this Earth EVER found those clues and finished Earthworld on there own. It's a shame Atari didn't try to actually make a real game that was an actual quest instead of that awful garbage that we ended up with. The contest idea with the comics and all was actually very cool for its time.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 9th, 2023, 6:02 pm

I can remember a few bad games so bad I even wonder how they got off the ground in the first place! Here's a few examples:
Pit Fighter (SNES) - besides the horrible graphics, I could barely land a punch and then get beaten down within a matter of seconds, over and over again, I couldn't even control it.

South Park (N64) - like what the Critic reviewed, the monotony of enemies, plus the juvenile, irreverant humor just rubbed me the wrong way, not helped by the graphics themselves.

Wargods (N64) - the gameplay is as bad as everyone says it is, not helped by the uninspired characters.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 9th, 2023, 8:56 pm

Zack Burner wrote:I can remember a few bad games so bad I even wonder how they got off the ground in the first place! Here's a few examples:
Pit Fighter (SNES) - besides the horrible graphics, I could barely land a punch and then get beaten down within a matter of seconds, over and over again, I couldn't even control it.

South Park (N64) - like what the Critic reviewed, the monotony of enemies, plus the juvenile, irreverant humor just rubbed me the wrong way, not helped by the graphics themselves.

Wargods (N64) - the gameplay is as bad as everyone says it is, not helped by the uninspired characters.

"juvenile, irreverant humor just rubbed me the wrong way" :roll:

bigfriendly

Postby bigfriendly » December 12th, 2023, 10:12 am

I agree on the earlier post about the Swordquest series for the 2600. Unfortunetly, I was one of those 12 year old dreamers that thought I could figure out the Earthworld puzzle so I endured many days of self inflicted torture. I would also add multiple titles for the 3DO system. The system had some really, really bad games that were difficult to sit through.

Anchoa79

Postby Anchoa79 » December 12th, 2023, 10:17 am

Cool World for SNES, Game Boy and NES. Different games, same s...t.
I am masoquist and want to see a review of the last 2.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 17th, 2023, 4:02 pm

No such game. Not anymore.

Bad games are a free education, on top of all the sadomasochism people still love them for. It's history, psychology, and the arts all in one. And you can't really appreciate many of the average games without that perspective.

That said, Mortal Kombat 3 (8-bit) and Flight of the Falcon on GBA feature controls so bad that a blank screen improves on the experience.

And there is one console game I would refuse to play again. Third Birthday on PSP has a series of late plot twists that reveal you've been controlling a terrified child in an adult's body the entire time. Even worse, it was horny about it throughout the game, to the point of practically changing one of the more likable side characters into a predatory incel.

None of the underlying body swapping time travel plot is coherent. Plus, it's all just an excuse to try to get players on board with killing off the series protagonist in the most pretentious way possible.

I wish I could forget it exists, like nearly everyone else did.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 17th, 2023, 7:52 pm

Anything related to Bubsy or South Park.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » December 21st, 2023, 2:40 am

Got a few here for ya:

Blades of Steel '99 and Blades of Steel 2000 for the Game Boy Color. Basically, they took the engine from the classic NES game, broke it into a million pieces, patched it back together with bobby pins and duct tape, then turned the contrast and color way up. And what do you get? Probably two of the sloppiest, poorest playing sports games for the system. Everything about both these games seems really really broken. And when I say broken, i mean broken. I once played a game of '99 against the computer in which I scored a couple goals. And I literally had NO idea what I was doing or how I did it. Why, I didn't even know I had the puck when I was scoring those goals. Same goes for 2000. When I played through one single game, things were happening and I felt i had no control over what was going on onscreen. Those are pretty much tell tale signs of some really poorly programmed games, and though both do have the NHL licence (2000 also has the Players Licence as well), both are pretty much a lost cause. I played through both just the once just to see how they played. and I don't think I'll ever do that again. Massively disappointing, the both of them

Return to “Video Games General”