Games so bad you have to shut it off

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Games so bad you have to shut it off

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2016, 9:34 pm

I'm trying to review Worms Forts (Xbox), and it's so bad I can't even finish a single contest
Tried to play with friends and they were utterly miserable.
Tried to play one-player against the CPU and it was torture.
Have you ever played a game so bad you couldn't even get through one gaming session without shutting it off?

Herschie

Re: Games so bad you have to shut it off

Postby Herschie » February 6th, 2016, 10:57 pm

That's like asking if any one of us has ever drank a Coke. One game that comes to mind was "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" on the NES. Now you have to understand that I dressed as Indiana Jones for Halloween when I was eight. Actually, I wanted to be Colonel Vogel, which promptly led to an early history lesson from my parents. Anyway, m mom used to take me to Blockbuster every weekend, and they had a TCBY where we'd get a frozen yogurt to boot. Often I'd rent Indy, yet I never owned it. It was a cool game with decent graphics, with music and cutscenes taken from the movie. And it followed the movie quite well.

So when I was 17, I wanted to find it at Funcoland. It wasn't a very common game, so it took some calling around. This one about a half hour away had a copy, so after agreeing to cut the grass, my parents let me use the car to go grab it. They were nice enough to hold the game for me, and I was ecstatic that I had finally found it.

I got it home, and was majorly let down. Unbeknownst to me, there were two versions of the game. The one I remembered was the decent Taito version. Unfortunately, the one I had was made by Ubisoft. I won't say much about either game because Critic's reviews were dead on: http://videogamecritic.com/nesil.htm?e=45353#rev1720

I think a girl I liked called after that. She wanted to get together, but I was grounded. At least I had Ocarina of Time to keep me busy.

juhis815

Postby juhis815 » February 7th, 2016, 12:38 am

The only game I can think of that made me want to shut the system off was Bubsy 3D, as collecting rocket pieces to complete the damn game was a torture. :evil:

Also, if it wasn't for video walkthroughs I found for this game, I really wouldn't have made too much progress on this game, because the placement of rocket pieces is next to obscure to casual observer.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 7th, 2016, 9:35 am

Hercshie -
Your reply is hilarious on a number of levels. Love its slice-of-life vibe.
VGC

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 7th, 2016, 10:00 am

There was nothing worse than going to the video store to rent a game only to get home and discover the game was sh!t. I know this game has been beaten to death, but I remember riding my bike to the game rental store (yes, it was strictly a rental store for video games only, and it was right next to a comic shop!) and they had a huge poster for Jekyll and Hyde on the door. Anyone that has knows that game knows that the cover art is pretty awesome. The guy that ran the place talked it up like it was the best thing thats ever come out. He rented out copies to each of us. Needles to say, that afternoon we were all outside playing and talking about how much that game sucked. Another game like that was Jurassic Park. I was 10 when that came out, so you can imagine how blown away I was with the movie. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. So when I saw that familiar T-Rex Skeleton logo on an NES game, I was beside myself. How could a game based on that movie be bad? Needles to say, that game was another clunker.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 7th, 2016, 10:03 am

Dragon Ball Origins for the NDS. I heard really good things about the game and when I finally picked up a copy and popped it in, I was severly dissapointed due to the controls. I hated them with a passion and turned the game off (you did everything on the stylus including moving...) which is a big problem on an Action game.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » February 8th, 2016, 1:18 am

One time a Game Stop near me had Sonic 2006 on display, I don't really know if it fits here but I made both people behind the counter laugh non-stop (no pun intended).

So I was just getting a Nintendo DS Lite after the whole broken hinge debacle was alleviated, but I had to play the Sonic 2006 demo because I wanted to see how bad it was actually playing it. I think this is the only time I tried to purposefully break a controller. Hot damn.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 8th, 2016, 2:56 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hercshie -
Your reply is hilarious on a number of levels. Love its slice-of-life vibe.
VGC

Haha, well, video games are a slice of life almost. Like hearing a song that you remember, they remind me of the time I was playing a particular game. Especially classic games.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 8th, 2016, 11:45 am

all the worms games seem to suck. The one on the xbox the one was a piece of expletive..

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 9th, 2016, 11:01 am

These days I'll literally lunge for the power button if a game does anything I detest because I can't waste my gaming time. But as a kid in the pre-NES and NES days, I truly believed that if a game wasn't fun, I either didn't understand how to play it, or it just wasn't my kind of game. I never considered, young and naive as I was, that they would release bad games. I mean, why release a bad one when you can release a good one? Part of that philosophy came from seeing my friend's older brother, who I really looked up to, find enjoyment in truly bad games or games that I would never have the patience to get into. Every morning before school I would go to that friend's house to hang out, and his older brother and a friend would be playing some obscure RPG on the Commodore 64 that I couldn't follow if you paid me. So I would plow through games I wasn't enjoying because I had plenty of time, (thanks to my early life decision that homework was against my religion), because I figured if I played it long enough I would come around to liking it. But eventually I would just pop in Mega Man 2 and play it from beginning to end for the millionth time.

Return to “Video Games General”