RetroWorld Expo -- Oct. 15-16 -- Mark your calendars, Northeast gamers

General and high profile video game topics.
Robotrek

Re: RetroWorld Expo -- Oct. 15-16 -- Mark your calendars, Northeast gamers

Postby Robotrek » October 18th, 2016, 12:58 am

Sorry man, but my reasons for hating CT are simple. I won't get into them very deep because of forum rules, but half of my gun collection would be illegal there, sadly.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 19th, 2016, 10:42 am

Retro STrife wrote: And to second JustLikeHeaven, yes, it is now extremely cost-prohibitive to build a large collection if you are just starting out. That part is depressing--though I guess it works both ways, since it makes our collections worth a lot more too.

I guess this is where I differ from others when it comes to collecting videogames. For me my collection has a value of exactly $0. I don't collect these things because they are worth money or to try and sell any of them. When I buy a game it's because I think it's cool/good and I want to add it to my collection. If I were tasked with selling it all off, then my life would have hit some sort of rough patch that I don't even want to begin to think about. So for me the value of my collection is something that I rarely ever think about.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 19th, 2016, 11:13 am

Thats my attitude as well. Gaming is just a hobby, not an investment.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 19th, 2016, 5:08 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:I guess this is where I differ from others when it comes to collecting videogames. For me my collection has a value of exactly $0. I don't collect these things because they are worth money or to try and sell any of them. When I buy a game it's because I think it's cool/good and I want to add it to my collection. If I were tasked with selling it all off, then my life would have hit some sort of rough patch that I don't even want to begin to think about. So for me the value of my collection is something that I rarely ever think about.

I don't know... while it's first and foremost a hobby for me, I still consider it an investment too (though to a far lesser degree). I rarely sell my stuff, except when I have duplicate games and systems. But on the rare occasions that I do sell, I find it very satisfying when I take a game like Snatcher that I bought for $125 and then I beat it and resell it a few years later for $300, after it has jumped in value. Or if I buy a bunch of games at a yard sale for $50, and one game in there is worth $50, it's nice to feel like I got the rest for free. And, while I'll never sell Panzer Dragoon Saga for as long as I can help it, it's still satisfying to see it going for $500 when I paid far far less for it years back.

I think it also adds legitimacy to the hobby; i.e., retro gaming can be looked down on by some people as "kids' toys" and it helps a little bit that a growing number of gaming stuff has significant material value. It also helps me justify the financial burden of the hobby, to myself and others, because I'm not just throwing money away since the games gain value and can be resold down the road (whereas new systems/games decline in value).

Still, for any system or game I buy, it's because it's something I want to play and add to my collection. The investment aspect is just an unintended byproduct, but one I'm happy to have.

Return to “Video Games General”