Do Gamers Make Better Drivers?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Do Gamers Make Better Drivers?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 27th, 2016, 2:23 pm

A few years ago I had a driving incident in which a deer dashed out onto the road as I was approaching a highway exit. With Scott as my witness, I performed a high-speed power slide to avoid the deer and still make the exit. It was a thing of beauty and he claimed I acquired the skill from a driving game we had been playing earlier that evening.

I've been driving for decades and never been in an accident. I have however had my share of close calls (every day it seems). This gave me an idea: do gamers make better drivers?

I think it makes sense. People who play video games are going to have excellent reflexes, vision, and depth perception. For those who play driving/racing games, real life isn't much different. Everybody has close calls, but some people are better at avoiding accident situations than others.

What do you think? Do this theory hold water?

Shapur

Re: Do Gamers Make Better Drivers?

Postby Shapur » May 27th, 2016, 2:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:A few years ago I had a driving incident in which a deer dashed out onto the road as I was approaching a highway exit. With Scott as my witness, I performed a high-speed power slide to avoid the deer and still make the exit. It was a thing of beauty and he claimed I acquired the skill from a driving game we had been playing earlier that evening.

I've been driving for decades and never been in an accident. I have however had my share of close calls (every day it seems). This gave me an idea: do gamers make better drivers?

I think it makes sense. People who play video games are going to have excellent reflexes, vision, and depth perception. For those who play driving/racing games, real life isn't much different. Everybody has close calls, but some people are better at avoiding accident situations than others.

What do you think? Do this theory hold water?

Not for me :lol:

Those stealth attack deer have gotten me a couple of times.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 27th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Maybe your supreme driving skills make you a better gamer. Lol.

The other day, some dude named Zangief was talking trash. A couple of my dragon punches and hurricane kicks shut him right up!!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 27th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I dunno, I've been in three accidents (none of them serious, thank God), and all were my fault. I've been playing video games since my fourth birthday, which is one month away from being twenty years ago.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 27th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Perhaps I need to get my wife to play video games then !

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 27th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Haha sut! Critic I think the theory holds water for at least some peeps. I think my avoidance of accidents has a lot to do with reactionary skills as a gamer. I, have avoided several, one which might have been really really bad through quick reflexes. I think gaming had something to do with it.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 27th, 2016, 8:57 pm

Hmmm... I've been gaming for a long time and I think my reflexes are excellent however it took me many years to not make stupid decisions while driving... It could also be argued that gamers that play racing games may speed to much, cut off traffic, and make unnecessary risks while driving. I think at the end of the day it boils down to the driver themselves on whether they are a better driver or not... However, I'm sure gamers have better reflexes at least...

Voor

Postby Voor » May 28th, 2016, 9:16 am

My skills at avoiding red shells cannot be matched.

Return to “Video Games General”