What's your view on Repro carts for existing games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Re: What's your view on Repro carts for existing games?

Postby Sut » June 16th, 2016, 9:43 am

bluenote wrote:I don't know, the idea of having every single game on 1 cart doesn't appeal to me. I like having a modest collection. When I buy a new game, I really dive into it because I don't have thousands of games at my finger tips. Having so many games on 1 cart kind of loses it's appeal to me.

Same with music. I love buying albums/cds, but if I start streaming, and have millions of songs at my fingertips, I just go from band to band, not really appreciating any of them. I don't have any focus. I'm all over the place.

Maybe I'm just weird that way!

No I'm exactly the same, I like to get a game and move on only when I've fully completed it or I've just seen all I'm interested in seeing.

Atariboy

Re: What's your view on Repro carts for existing games?

Postby Atariboy » June 16th, 2016, 3:49 pm

I like multicarts for their other advantages besides convenience.

For instance if a prototype surfaces for the 2600, I can just load up the rom when it's released rather than wait and pay someone to put it out on cartridge. If I want high score save support in supported 7800 games, my Cuttle Cart II provides that functionality that was never unlocked back in the day by Atari. If I want to play a game that didn't release in my region, there's a good chance that I can find a NTSC conversion if it's PAL and even a translated version if it was a Japanese game.

I still like original carts and add to my collection, but my Everdrives and such help fill holes such as eagerly following each beta release of the latest Atari 7800 homebrew, allowing me to participate in a small way in the creation process by testing and providing input. Or how about experiencing the otherwise physically incompatible SG-1000 library on the Sega Master System for another great ability that's opened up by multicarts? And they're also nice to be able to get a hands-on preview on real hardware when you're interested in an expensive game.

To me that's what they're all about rather than serving as a substitute for building a collection. They complement rather than supplant my library of cartridges.

Return to “Video Games General”