Classic Games get no respect?

General and high profile video game topics.
twilighthotel

Re: Classic Games get no respect?

Postby twilighthotel » September 2nd, 2016, 11:09 am

The problems that classic games have versus modern games is that anyone with half a brain can clone the majority of classic games note for note (sometimes improving it) and throw it up on an eshop or for free on the web. A lot harder to clone stuff like Dead Space or Assassins Creed almost note for note. The ease in which classic games can be reproduced and the fact they get tossed into multi-game compilations or included for free as a hidden or unlockable in larger games kind of makes them disposable. That's my perception.

jon

Postby jon » September 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

To me this is ridiculous. The NES rocks. I wonder if the derision is pointed towards the 16 bitters too. Personally I find the NES's graphics to be very beautiful. And it has a bunch of great games too. I have no clue what the people that knock it are even into, do they only like "immersive" 3D experiences? Kids nowadays have no idea how awesome things were when the NES was in its heyday in the late 80's.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 14th, 2016, 10:21 pm

I gamed on my 2600 through about 1986 then stopped. I gamed on my C64 from about 85-89.I took a few years off and wasn't impressed by Nes graphics or gameplay. Then about 1993 I got back into video games with the Genesis. Have been gaming ever since.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 15th, 2016, 10:17 am

I think another problem is the rise the "indie games" on Live, PSN, Steam etc... Many of these smaller games have classic influences in regards to their gameplay or even their art style. In recent years there have been many games that have become "spiritual successors" to classic games. Games like Stardew Valley looks to take the old Harvest Moon chassis and ramp it up to 11. I think when this happens, people with no attachment to the classics tend to be like, "well I'll just play this instead. It does pretty much everything that old game did and more."

People will go on and on about how you NEED to play Resogun, but if you tell em that you'd rather play Defender they look at you funny.

Sadly, I think more people are into classic games to be "collectors" or to try and make a quick buck rather than play classic games. Or you have folks that spend $150 on a SNES and a copy of Super Mario World...then never touch the thing again.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 15th, 2016, 11:46 am

Isn't this true of all media?

Movies, television, comics, music...what media is this not also true that 'classic', ie, old, media is not given the same respect as new media? Video games, being tied to technology more than other media, has this taken up to the elevens is all.

The answer is to make your case. If you like old movies, then make a case why old movies are solid entertainment, and while different and flawed in some ways, also have features and attributes that may have been lost in newer movies. If you like 1970s music, make your case. If you like playing 8 bit NES Zelda in a golden cartridge so big you could fit a raspberry pi into on front loading NES with A/V cables, then make the case that's its about the fun, not frame rates and more pixels than your eyes can even register at more than a few feet.

To turn this into a positive, we can look to ourselves. This community seems to have left the 16 bit console wars and most of the fanboy attitudes about Nintendo or whomever behind them, so that's great. Yet whatever we love - whether its gaming on the Atari 2600, or the VIC-20, or the NES or the Xbox or whatever the latest console that Sony put out is (I've lost track), then we can accept that. There is good old media, and there is good new media, and hopefully we can have fun discussing what is good and why its good - because this is our hobby and we should be able to give all of it the respect it merits.

Return to “Video Games General”