Things in Video Games you Hate?

General and high profile video game topics.
m0zart

Re: Things in Video Games you Hate?

Postby m0zart » August 10th, 2016, 7:13 pm

I'll post some that I dislike, but they have been posted before:

Unskippable tutorials
Constant requests to go online
Unskippable cut scenes or dialog
Scrolling or typing text that scrolls or types too slowly

But my latest pet peeve is ANY GAME THAT IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF MICROTRANSACTIONS!

I despise it. I am ok with a little bit of it... I enjoyed the first Plants vs. Zombies for instance for the iPhone. But the second one, Plants vs. Zombies 2, that one is for the birds. Lots of cool ideas in it, mostly squandered by the need to pay high prices for every little thing. When I first started playing it, the lawn mowers went away after their first use, and they wanted me to BUY THEM BACK. I deleted it after that.

I went back to it recently to see if anything had changed... the lawn mowers don't have to be bought back anymore, but it's still a game I'd have to pay a few hundred for just to play without restrictions. Not my cup of tea at all.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 11th, 2016, 1:46 am

1. Games that are so complicated they require massive tutorials before you can even enjoy the game.
2. Required tutorials, especially for games that it should be apparent how to play the game.
3. 3D games with fixed cameras (usually).

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 11th, 2016, 5:30 am

1. Lack of checkpoints, restarting at the beginning of the stage each time.
2. Corrupt save files!
3. Unskippable tutorials of any kind, whether short or long...
4. Unskippable cutscenes
5. Text that is so small it is nearly impossbile to read if you're not 10 centimeter away from the television
6. Endless dialogue whether in text or spoken variation
7. Prominent pushing of in-game purchases/microtransactions
8. Online play, since everyone seems to be a lotter than me and I'm usually beaten within seconds...
9. Endless loading times every time after your character dies
10. Mazes in which every wall looks the same (like in the Phantasy Star games)
And last but not least...
11. SONIC AND HIS ANNOYING FRIENDS TALKING!

Sut

Postby Sut » August 11th, 2016, 9:20 am

CaptainCruch wrote:1. Lack of checkpoints, restarting at the beginning of the stage each time.
2. Corrupt save files!
3. Unskippable tutorials of any kind, whether short or long...
4. Unskippable cutscenes
5. Text that is so small it is nearly impossbile to read if you're not 10 centimeter away from the television
6. Endless dialogue whether in text or spoken variation
7. Prominent pushing of in-game purchases/microtransactions
8. Online play, since everyone seems to be a lotter than me and I'm usually beaten within seconds...
9. Endless loading times every time after your character dies
10. Mazes in which every wall looks the same (like in the Phantasy Star games)
And last but not least...
11. SONIC AND HIS ANNOYING FRIENDS TALKING!

Had to laugh whilst I was reading this. I was like yep,yep,definitely .. My god is this person me ?!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » August 11th, 2016, 12:22 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:5. Text that is so small it is nearly impossbile to read if you're not 10 centimeter away from the television

This. I don't have perfect vision but I don't have to wear glasses and it seems like every other game has impossible to read text. The worst is when it says which button to press and I can't read the tiny button icon. Is that right on the d pad, right thumbstick, right trigger, right bumper? Who knows? It's just a blob of gray on the screen. My TV is a 40 inch 1080p; I shouldn't have to own a 60 inch TV to read the tutorial.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 11th, 2016, 4:17 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:I hate how Pokemon, 20 years on, still has only one save file. It forces people with siblings to get both versions of a game.

I agree on this one too, I hated how many Nintendo DS games only have one to three save slots. Worst are the games in which you cannot even delete the data in the save slots! (like in Super Monkey Ball 3D on 3DS).

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 11th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Message to developers in the 2000's: Stop blocking paths with anything we can step on. Like a single sandbag. Or a field of grass. Also, a very important note to the developers of Golden Sun: don't build our house under a boulder smaller than it is, and then try to claim there's a prophecy about that boulder wiping us all out.

Not in a scene you want us to take seriously, anyways.

I should not be wishing there was a bowling minigame during my tragic backstory.

Unless you originally intended to make the boulder the hero? I can understand if Nintendo made you change that idea.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » August 20th, 2016, 7:54 am

A minor gripe, but still...
I hate when games ask you to "Press Start Button" to start the game, then you press the A button and the game starts anyway.
I mean what's the bloody point.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 20th, 2016, 6:05 pm

I'm sure that this has been stated, but with RPG's and action/adventure games, after an hour or two of roaming, I say to myself, "I have no idea where to go or what to do next."

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2016, 12:55 pm

In newer games (PS4/XboxOne) you don't know how to end your game session!
You're afraid to just shut off the console, because then maybe it won't save right.
And when you select "return to main menu" (if that's even an option) it says "all unsaved progress will be lost".
Which leads to an even bigger issue - how do we even know how much unsaved progress there is?
In my experience, this message is presented every time - even if you're in no danger of losing progress at all!

Return to “Video Games General”