Physical Release Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Physical Release Thread

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 23rd, 2016, 5:51 pm

I know we've covered this in other threads, but thought a dedicated thread might be a good idea. I think people who frequent this site tend to prefer physical media. I know some will ask "what difference does that make?" I say "it determines if I'm going to buy the game".

As you hear about new games coming out, post about them in this thread.

I just saw this in an email from PlayAsia:

Look Out! Wild Guns: Reloaded - A Cult Title Revives After 22 Years

WILD GUNS: RELOADED - PHYSICAL RELEASE
PlayStation®4 [Single Screen Arena Shoot Em Up] Release: November 15th, 2016

An exclusive release for the Super Nintendo, Wild Guns was one of those titles that took an existing formula and polished it to brilliant levels. Inspired from arcade side scrolling arena shooters like Cabal, Natusme's console release had it all; Wild Guns was a Co-op Western Steampunk gallery shooter with slick controls, amazing aesthetic, and a rewarding challenge.

Players control their character through arena style stages where movement is only limited to left and right; verticle movement comes from agile jumps - absolutely essential when dodging an onslaught of enemy fire. There's a cursor onscreen which acts as a targeting reticle, and this can be controlled to shoot down foes or even lasso them for a moment's breather. It's interesting to point out that Wild Guns probably had the most destructible environment in any SNES game, and behind the bottles and neon signs, there are a wealth of secrets to find. At the end of each stage, players will encounter massive bosses for a great twitch based finale of frantic shooting, rolling, and leaping.

As a re-release, changes include new stages with their own bosses, a wider variety of weapons, online rankings, and the addition of 4 player single-screen gameplay. And just to be thorough, Natsume has thrown in 2 new characters, a daschund who controls an attack drone, and a really buff baby faced man who could actually just be a really buff baby ;)

To see that after 22 years, and completely out of the blue, having this cult title recieve a revival in Wild Guns: Reloaded is a wonderful thing for gamers. In the landscape of overly cinematic unfulfilling handholding quasi-narrative driven fetch quests that seem to be the popular at the moment, it's games like this that remind us of what games use to be: pure fun!

Rev

Re: Physical Release Thread

Postby Rev » August 23rd, 2016, 9:33 pm

Thanks for posting this thread. Games that I know were released physically (for the PS4) through Limited Run Games are:

Breach and Clear: Dead line
Futuridium: Extended Flat Deluxe
Lost Sea
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee: New 'n' Tasty!
Retro City Rampage DX
Saturday Morning RPG
Xeodrifter

and recently:
Rainbow Moon
Shadow Complex

coming soon next month:
Dragon Fantasy the Black Tome of Ice
Mystery Chronicle One Way Heroics

JWK

Postby JWK » August 23rd, 2016, 10:55 pm

I just pre-ordered Assault Suit Leynos from Amazon. It releases next week for PS4. It's a remake of Target Earth for the Genesis, but the Japanese game's name was Assault Suit Leynos. The next game in the series was called Assault Suit Valken, but was changed to Cybernator when it released on the SNES in NA. The third game was Assault Suit Leynos 2 on the Japanese Saturn. And I believe the fourth game was called Assault Suit Valken 2 on the Japanese PlayStation (?). The last one is the only one I haven't played.

Anyway, here's the Amazon link. $16 for Prime users: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JLGAV ... SY340_QL65

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 27th, 2016, 8:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote: I say "it determines if I'm going to buy the game".

I could see this statement being true. It kinda is for me. I'll still get the game if I want it, but it is a disappointment if I cant get a physical release. Two games I played a lot of that came out in recent years were NBA jam: on fire edition and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD. Both are really good games, but download only. I do have downloaded game boy games some games on my 3ds xl, but they were club nintendo rewards. I would just rather have the physical release. Plus, as guys, I think it's easier to impress girls with a shelf full of games, rather than a hard drive full of games.

There is a game I've been playing a lot of recently called art of balance touch for 3ds, which was download only. If it got a physical release, I'd get that. Although, I can see why it's download-only, as it's only seven dollars. Companies probably see it as more profitable to have a download.

Speaking of games for download getting a physical release, Europe is getting Steamworld Heist, Steamworld Dig, and Fast Racing NEO as Nintendo Selects

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 27th, 2016, 7:41 pm

CharlieR wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote: I say "it determines if I'm going to buy the game".

I could see this statement being true. It kinda is for me. I'll still get the game if I want it, but it is a disappointment if I cant get a physical release. Two games I played a lot of that came out in recent years were NBA jam: on fire edition and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD. Both are really good games, but download only. I do have downloaded game boy games some games on my 3ds xl, but they were club nintendo rewards. I would just rather have the physical release. Plus, as guys, I think it's easier to impress girls with a shelf full of games, rather than a hard drive full of games.

There is a game I've been playing a lot of recently called art of balance touch for 3ds, which was download only. If it got a physical release, I'd get that. Although, I can see why it's download-only, as it's only seven dollars. Companies probably see it as more profitable to have a download.

Speaking of games for download getting a physical release, Europe is getting Steamworld Heist, Steamworld Dig, and Fast Racing NEO as Nintendo Selects

Two things incorrect above

NBA Jam On Fire Edition is available on the Xbox 360...

https://www.amazon.com/NBA-Jam-Xbox-360/dp/B0047OK31Q

And trust me, girls are not impressed by the size of your gaming shelves. They most certainly are impressed with you being funny, sincere, humorous, a great cook, etc but most definitely not by your massive gaming collection...massive something else is another matter entirely.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 28th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Thanks. I just have ps3, so I didn't know that.

Yea I was making a joke. Girls probably don't care about a gaming collection at all, be it physical or digital.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 28th, 2016, 10:03 pm

So I was looking around on the internet and found this thread on cheapassgamer:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/355 ... scussions/

Not all of these fit this thread but there are quite a few on here I've never even heard of. Definitely going to keep an eye on this.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 3rd, 2016, 12:51 pm

As an aside, a recent Pew research study shows that have print books still dominating the book market, over e-books and audio books. http://www.pewresearch.org. Of those that read books, almost all still use print books, and a good percentage only use print books.

We all remember the forecasts of how e-books would run print out of town....hasn't happened yet. However, digital video games are already on a high tech device, so is physical staggering toward being archaic? Maybe the success of the NX will tell us.

eneuman96

Physical copy of a 2D shmup game for PS4

Postby eneuman96 » September 5th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Since the VGC is big on both shmups and physical copies as opposed to downloadable ones:

Here's some information on Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet: http://nisamerica.com/games/touhou-genso-rondo/

Not sure how familiar the VGC is with Touhou, but it's a franchise that's become synonymous with bullet hell shooters to many people. As far as I know, this is the first one to get a console release and one of very few to officially make it out of Japan. This may very well be worth a look.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 6th, 2016, 2:27 pm

A topic that might be interesting to discuss is why we dislike digital games. Well, for one thing, the games just disappear. We saw last week with Castle of Illusion, but also I believe Simpsons and x-men are also gone. I was lucky enough to get the Simpsons, but not x-men. I'd get it now if it were available. I also just like going to the store to buy physical games. There's just something a lot less exciting about a digital copy.

Return to “Video Games General”