Most Worthless Console You have Ever Owned?

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Most Worthless Console You have Ever Owned?

Postby matmico399 » September 15th, 2016, 5:04 pm

I am not just talking your current consoles but all of those you have had in the past as well and gotten rid of. The Critic seems pretty adamant to him that the Jaguar CD was the worst. I have never owned a Jaguar so I really can't comment on it. And I have no interest in getting the core system or its CD.

That being said for me personally it would have to be the 32X. I mainly wanted it to play Doom, ala 1995, as some of my friends had pc's and I was pretty enthralled with it. I didn't get my first pc until about 1998. I played the heck out of Doom, even though looking back it was highly watered down. But I had a blast with it. I kept renting 32X games thinking I was going to the next level. But almost all of them sucked. The only other two games I enjoyed on it were Virtua Racing and the Star Wars game. Unlike many I thought Virtua Fighter was lame.

Some peeps say the Sega CD was equally worthless. But I disagree. Yes it has an awful library of mostly bad FMV games. But it also has a lot of classics. Snatcher, Tomcat Alley, Road Avenger, Star Wars Chess, Night Trap, Mansion of Hidden Souls, etc.

What was your worst console ever?

scotland

Re: Most Worthless Console You have Ever Owned?

Postby scotland » September 15th, 2016, 5:42 pm

I think we have agreed on some this topic before, my friend in Georgia.

I may be in the minority, but I consider both the 32x and the Sega CD to be peripherals, and not independent systems. Sut recently put in significant time playing through the 32x library, and I think can defend it pretty well.

For me, its the Saturn -- My library is pretty small, mostly because what I had did not enjoy what I had enough to keep collecting. I have a gameshark and even a driving controller, but still have not enjoyed it. I find the game cases are brittle, the games are neither plentiful nor cheap. I think part of my disappointment is that during the Saturn's heyday, PC's were really making huge strides in being game playing machines. I played games like Mechwarrior on PC, then tried it on the Saturn and found the console port had awful controls and was heavily edited for content. Oddly, I don't feel this way about the other consoles in that generation because I have found games I enjoy, which spurs me to keep adding to the library. While I wish Sega had done better in the late 90s, I feel the Saturn in the US got the legacy it deserved. The first console I sell will be my Saturn.

The other console I find hard to love is the Colecovision. Now, don't go hating on me. The thing is a beast to hook up, and I am not a fan of the controller. When I do hook it up, I find myself playing Atari games on it as much as the Colecovision games. During its heyday, I was a dedicated Commodore C64 fan, so if I get a hankering for some Colecovision style arcade fun, its not going to be on the Colecovision - which is odd, because I am really a big fan of the Coleco handhelds and Coleco in general.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 15th, 2016, 6:09 pm

I'll probably get hate for this but I didn't like the Vectrex. I even had the multi cart for it but it's rubbish. I didn't like the tiny screen and short spiral wired controllers. The games are mostly knockoffs of something else. To be fair I didn't have any overlays but I don't see that making a huge difference. I sold that thing off with multi cart for $400 and bought a PC Engine Duo-R with games and I've been very happy with that decision.
Last edited by Wallyworld on September 15th, 2016, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 15th, 2016, 6:18 pm

I would luv to see Sut's defense of the 32x. Not that I am right, but just his opinion on why. Somehow I missed that.

I also dissed the Saturn when I got it almost a year ago. And yes most of the great games are out of my budget. But I have learned to appreciate it much more over the last month or two. There are some genuine classics not available on any other console. My Saturn library is small as well, but most of the games I do have for it I really enjoy. I have played a heck of a lot of Christmas Nights Into Dreams. Fantastic game and it was only a promotional disc. Dave lists it as expensive and fot a promo yes, but compared to other games it is very affordable. Although I quit playing it as I want to unveil it to my kids in December. The month it should be played. Virtua Cop 1 and 2 are very solid titles. Dave trashed Quarterback Attack, but being the football nut I am I have really enjoyed it. D is an odd little title, but it keeps me coming back. And since I don't have a 32X anymore (and the Geneisis version of Virtua Racer is very limited) the Saturn version of it is fantastic. Just as fun as I remember. The few other Saturn games I have are forgettable. But I have learned to appreciate it.

If I were to sell one console of mine it would be the N64. I just never play the thing and am considering selling it because I have three of the better games for it.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 15th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Wally I have only seen a Vectrex in the flesh one time months ago. But I just cannot imagine getting into that either. I also don't do portables. I just want a nice big tv screen to game on, sitting back in a lounge chair and eating pizza and drinking beer. Good times!

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 15th, 2016, 9:27 pm

matmico399 wrote:Wally I have only seen a Vectrex in the flesh one time months ago. But I just cannot imagine getting into that either. I also don't do portables. I just want a nice big tv screen to game on, sitting back in a lounge chair and eating pizza and drinking beer. Good times!

Absolutely agree! I only play portable games when I can play them on my TV. Kinda funny my most worthless console was actually quite valuable when I sold it. Another console I didn't get much fun out of was the Virtual Boy. I hated that garbage. My eyes would burn after only 10-15 minutes of game play. I bought mine at launch and was so disappointed with the library. Nintendo really let me down on that one.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 15th, 2016, 10:10 pm

The Tiger Game.com. Unless you're a collector, there is absolutely no reason to buy that system. All of its games are worthless and/or available on much, MUCH better systems. I don't regret selling mine. As badly designed as the Virtual Boy is, at least it has Wario Land.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 15th, 2016, 11:59 pm

For me, the Colecovision was probably my least favorite console I've ever owned. I wouldn't really classify any of my consoles as "worthless" even if I sold them but then again I've never owned a Jaguar CD. I think the main thing I realized owning that console, was that I didn't enjoy games that old compared to the ones that came even a generation later. Not a bad console just a bit too old for me.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » September 16th, 2016, 3:56 am

My Wonderswan is pretty much worthless. I knew that when I bought though. It was really just more of a novelty. The library is entirely Japanese so most of its games would be unplayable for me anyway. I only have Guilty Gear Petit which I didn't find to be really all that good even by the standards of old portable fighting games. Certainly not better than the NGPCs offerings.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » September 16th, 2016, 10:43 am

Easily the 3DO for me. Pretty much anything on there worth playing was also ported to PC, Saturn or Playstation. If it wasn't ported directly, then it received a sequel or update/better version on one of those platforms. Other than that, the CD-i but at least there weren't the same expectations and marketing put into the CD-i.

32X and Jaguar come a little close in that some of their good games were ported to other platforms but it is also worth noting that they each had at least a couple of exclusives that showed some originality. On 32X, Knuckles, Tempo, Metalhead, Star Wars Arcade and Kolibri were at least ambitious. MKII, NBA Jam TE and Doom were there, even if the quality/effort of those ports is questionable to some. Jaguar had AVP, Tempest 2000 and their own NBA Jam & Doom.

Return to “Video Games General”