Most Worthless Console You have Ever Owned?

General and high profile video game topics.
Wallyworld

Re: Most Worthless Console You have Ever Owned?

Postby Wallyworld » September 30th, 2016, 3:16 pm

brendand wrote:Oops forgot one its that bad that most people have never heard of it I got one in a games bundle a few years back it's completely useless due to online servers being shutdown forever lol https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Jet

Gizmondo also falls into this category of just being a paperweight. I've never owned one or it would have been my choice.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2016, 5:21 pm

I think I'd have to go with the Jaguar CD. I can't really think of one redeeming title for that thing!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 1st, 2016, 1:40 am

There's at least Iron Soldier II, which most played on the CD attachment although there was a limited cartridge run after Atari's demise. I suspect most Jaguar fans consider that one as a top 5 contender for their favorite Jag games.

I could never get into them, but someone out there must also like Myst, Dragon's Lair, and Space Ace. The latter two in particular have been ported to almost as many systems as Pac-Man has. And World Tour Racing had a ton of promise, but really needed the textures to be killed to get the frame rate up to a steady 30 fps.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 1st, 2016, 12:13 pm

Iron Soldier II is a fine game, but did the CD format really add anything? Seems to me it would have been just as good as a normal Jaguar cart.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 1st, 2016, 2:26 pm

brendand wrote:Oops forgot one its that bad that most people have never heard of it I got one in a games bundle a few years back it's completely useless due to online servers being shutdown forever lol https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Jet

I just bought a case of those to sell on EBay. oh No! Haha just kidding.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 5:43 pm

I have repurchased most of the systems I sold in the past. I still need a Sega CD and a Jaguar though. I also might need an Intellivision at some point as well.

Of everything, however, my Virtual Boy is something I dont miss at all. That thing just sucked all around. I liked Mario Tennis, but it was overshadowed by the horrible visuals of the VB and the constant eye strain.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » October 6th, 2016, 6:24 pm

The Virtual Boy. I own most of the games, Wario is the best of the lot, followed by TeleroBoxer and Tennis (IMO). I don't play it at all because it blinds the shit out of you, it sits in a box in my bedroom and will until I sell it. I hacked my Wii so I could play Virtual Boy games on my tv in black and white, and don't regret it one bit.

Maks

Postby Maks » October 19th, 2016, 12:12 am

I have owned a VB since launch, actually the Japanese launch, and still enjoy it. It's a unique console kind of like the Vectrex. There are some mediocre games on the Vectrex but even if you just get the console w/Minestorm it's worth it IMO. I've long been a defender of the 32X and have come around to accept there's more than just FMV garbage on the Sega CD. That all said, even considering I have a full Jaguar collection I'd have to say the Jag CD is the most worthless "console" I own. I'm still amazed Atari even bothered to release it knowing their demise was not far away. And it didn't even add any extra memory or processing, in fact it took away some of the Jag's memory.

I just bought a 3do last week, but I can't imagine it being worse than the Jag CD.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 19th, 2016, 3:21 am

The 3DO is a great machine that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and even as unlucky as it was, it still has some worthy games. The Need for Speed and Return Fire are pretty much the system's peak, being the best by far of the few games that actually pushed the 3D graphics (Blade Force and Foes of Ali look good but are pretty weak games). The other big racing games Crash 'n' Burn and Road Rash are excellent as well, as are Battlesport, the Samurai Shodown port, and Gex (if you turn those constant quips off). The puzzle game Gridders also looks like it could be good, although I haven't played it. And there are a few oddball RPGs, if you're a fan of the genre; I'm not, but Lucienne's Quest tends to be singled out as a hidden gem.

Squandered as its potential was, the system does have a modest collection of minor classics (and a couple of major ones, if you like racing games). And if nothing else, it's certainly interesting.

(All of that said, it's still a strong answer to the thread's actual question - it was definitely a failure, and you'd have to own something pretty wretched for the 3DO to be a better investment!)

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 19th, 2016, 5:44 pm

I picked up a 3DO a few years ago. It was definitely ahead of its time, and certainly priced itself out of the market. Wasnt it like $500 when it came out? Then they let 3rd parties build the systems, so you got 3 (i think?) different versions of the system. I have the FZ-10, which seems to be the best of the bunch.

Some notable titles I enjoy playing are Alone in the Dark, D, Another World, Road Rash, PO'D, Killing Time, Monster Manor, Wolfenstein, and a few others. The video quality outshines most of the CD based consoles of the time, so FMV games look pretty good for the time. There is also a really faithful port of Street Fighter, but it needs a 6 button controller, which is a bit expensive.

If you have a chance to get one without breaking the bank, I would recommend it.

Return to “Video Games General”