Introducing the Nintendo Switch

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 3rd, 2017, 4:43 am

I'm worried about the Switch. I'd love Nintendo to succeed, but I'm in doubt. For now, only two games gain attention: 1-2-Switch gets the 'general' audience interested in the unique functions of the Switch (as I saw on television). On the other hand, the new Zelda pleases all hardcore gamers and Nintendo fans. But what's left at launch? Just Dance 2017 (available for every other platform around). Skylanders Imagination (also available for every other platforms and I haven't seen anything written about the Switch edition yet) and Super Bomberman R (seemed interesting, but first reviews rate it average).

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

It still boggles my mind that they didn't have a dozen games ready for launch, considering how much free time they have had with their lack of Wii U development. There is absolutely no excuse for having such a tiny launch lineup. Can anyone tell me how many games the Xbone and PS4 had available at launch by comparison?

Voor

Postby Voor » March 4th, 2017, 7:24 am

Eh, you shouldn't be surprise. For the last 3 generations, Nintendo has been about quality* over quantity.

*this is debatable of course, though I would agree that their franchise games usually are well made and the most enjoyable on the system.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm

At least with all these 10/10's, I think they're safe from criticism for their otherwise weak launch lineup (even though there's an excellent Wii U version of the same game).

With the belief that they've dodged that bullet, I'd be more concerned about the months leading up to Super Mario Odyssey this Fall. A significant percentage of early Switch adapters will have already played Mario Kart 8 to death and Splatoon 2 has been perceived by many that have played it as more of a port than a true sequel.

Will these as Nintendo's post-launch flagship releases satisfy their customers in the spring and summer of this year, after they've moved on from Zelda? I'm not so sure and that's going to be problematic if they fail to excite their customers, since it will kill the momentum they're creating right now with a successful launch and all the praise that Zelda is receiving.

Wii U ports make sense to fill out the software lineup and bring much deserved attention to great games that too few experienced last time around, but I think these would've been better off later on rather than serving as important centerpieces of their 2017 lineup.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 4th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:It still boggles my mind that they didn't have a dozen games ready for launch, considering how much free time they have had with their lack of Wii U development. There is absolutely no excuse for having such a tiny launch lineup. Can anyone tell me how many games the Xbone and PS4 had available at launch by comparison?

That's a big reason why they're not getting my money st launch. Using a Wii U game as the "killer app," when they've had years to come. Up with a better plan, is unacceptable to me. To be honest, I actually believed that part of the reason they were focusing on releasing smaller scale games on the Wii U (2D sidescrollers) was because they were building the big guns for Switch. The Wii U, apart from having a stupid name, failed because they didn't come out swinging. Once the diehard Nintendo fans get ahold of the system, it will most likely flounder because it has nothing that you can't get elsewhere! Their strategy is beyond ignorant!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 4th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Atariboy wrote:
Splatoon 2 has been perceived by many that have played it as more of a port than a true sequel.

I want to preface by saying, the launch lineup is weak, they don't have enough big plans this year, I think they are really messing up his thing, and I have no plans on buying a Switch this year, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that people are saying that about Splatoon 2. It has all new levels and new weapons; that's a sequel! Every other franchise gets away with releasing a sequel with the same gameplay mechaincs and graphics, just new levels. Frankly,I think anyone saying Splatoon 2 feels like a port just because the gameplay and graphics are the same is being an idiot (I don't mean that toward you as you are simply saying what other people are saying).

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 4th, 2017, 7:59 pm

ESauce wrote:
Atariboy wrote:
Splatoon 2 has been perceived by many that have played it as more of a port than a true sequel.

but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that people are saying that about Splatoon 2. It has all new levels and new weapons; that's a sequel! Every other franchise gets away with releasing a sequel with the same gameplay mechaincs and graphics, just new levels.

Agree, but only partially. My problem with Splatoon 2 isn't that it is "just new maps, weapons, and modes." That's exactly what it should be. My problem with it is that it should be on Wii U, and the next game after that should be Splatoon 3 on Switch. If this were a Sony or MS product, I think it would have been one of the swan songs for the previous generation, not an early game on the next system. It's a new franchise, with features specific to the Wii U that could have been used as one more bone being thrown to the Nintendo faithful. That would have given it a little more leeway as a sequel, given that it's on the pre-existing hardware. A bigger, more expansive sequel could have been released in a couple years for Switch, with a "Splatoon 1&2 Collection" being released on Switch in the intervening time. That leaves the sequel being considered a "proper sequel," Wii U fans a little less burned, an extra piece of software out, more time to work out any remaining "new series bugs," and more press for the game "finally" getting it's next gen upgrade.

Unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't do transitions to new systems well, preferring to leave old systems dry for a calendar year before tossing one bone at their fans and then forgetting a generation ever happened. For that reason, they deserve to have their game not called a sequel. It's be a fine sequel on Wii U. As a game helping launch the first year of an entirely new console generation, people can be forgiven for wondering why it looks so similar to the other one.

Rev

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch "

Postby Rev » March 5th, 2017, 12:45 pm

I watch game theory every once in a while on YouTube and he posted a very interesting theory on what could be coming down the line for the switch. You might check it out.

https://youtu.be/kOUPbSakz9M

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 9th, 2017, 11:32 am

But after Zelda, what will be the most important upcoming games for the Nintendo Switch? I guess most of the success will depend on the new ARMS franchise and Mario Odyssey. Or am I missing something?

Return to “Video Games General”