Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman

Re: Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby LoganRuckman » March 31st, 2018, 4:29 am

More unpopular here than other forums, but 2017 was one of the absolute best years for gaming ever. 2017 was unreal.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 31st, 2018, 10:16 am

LoganRuckman wrote:More unpopular here than other forums, but 2017 was one of the absolute best years for gaming ever. 2017 was unreal.

Absolutely true. Great year for Nintendo in particular, but there were tons of classics for other platforms as well.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 31st, 2018, 11:17 am

ptdebate wrote:
LoganRuckman wrote:More unpopular here than other forums, but 2017 was one of the absolute best years for gaming ever. 2017 was unreal.

Absolutely true. Great year for Nintendo in particular, but there were tons of classics for other platforms as well.

I haven't thought about it enough to say whether 2017 is the best year, but I do believe that we are in the best era in gaming. And that each era has gotten progressively better. Gamers, like a lot of other hobbyists, often have a "the good old days..." mentality about past generations of the hobby. Despite all my retro collecting, I know things have gotten better since then. Force me to keep only one system and it would be an Xbox 360 or PS4.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 31st, 2018, 12:15 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

I haven't thought about it enough to say whether 2017 is the best year, but I do believe that we are in the best era in gaming. And that each era has gotten progressively better. Gamers, like a lot of other hobbyists, often have a "the good old days..." mentality about past generations of the hobby. Despite all my retro collecting, I know things have gotten better since then. Force me to keep only one system and it would be an Xbox 360 or PS4.

Another reason every year is better than the last is the simple fact that you can have everything!

The Super Nintendo is great - definitely one of the best consoles - but when it was actually current, you had far fewer games and platforms to choose from. Games were expensive, and some of us were kids at the time, lacking disposable income.

Now, not only are games cheaper, but having the latest console doesn't mean I can't also have all the Super Nintendo, NES, or Genesis games I want! Re-releases and collections are also making it easy to play many of these games without having an additional console.

I don't think there's much that makes the PS4 better than the PS3 at this point, because the latter has accumulated so, so many astoundingly great games over the past 10 years. 360 too, but I prefer the PS3 because of the RPGs. This is a controversial opinion, but I think the launch PS3 is the greatest console ever made, if you can find one that works. Think about it - PS1, PS2, and PS3 all in one box. Access to over two decades of games.

bengalhoel

Postby bengalhoel » April 2nd, 2018, 9:24 pm

My top 5 most overrated games
5. God of War series.... Im sorry I just do not like hack and slash games like this.
4. GTA series.... I know Im in the real minority but I never really enjoy the missions or multiplayer
3. Super Smash Brothers... I will probably get killed for this one but I have never got "it" from playing this game like so many others. To me its an underwhelming fighting game with NES heroes pasted on.
2. Donkey Kong Country... I have never gotten the appeal of this SNES "classic" that so many love. Maybe I was over the SNES at this point and ready for Playstation but I was bored with it and I love platformers.
!. Portal 2 This is one that no one ever agrees with me on. So I go back and play it again and I just dont see it but that is why this is called unpopular game opinions.

jon

Postby jon » April 3rd, 2018, 12:02 am

It might not be that unpopular of an opinion, but I think Super Mario World is the best game of all time. And ditto on Donkey Kong Country.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 3rd, 2018, 1:45 am

bengalhoel wrote:3. Super Smash Brothers... I will probably get killed for this one but I have never got "it" from playing this game like so many others. To me its an underwhelming fighting game with NES heroes pasted on.

You're my hero :-D

I've got plenty more to add to this conversation at some point, but you already touched on one of my main topics. I just don't "get" Smash Bros., and I doubt I ever will. And this is coming from someone who bought both the original N64 version and the Gamecube sequel the day they came out, with high hopes for both. It just wasn't meant to be...

bengalhoel

Postby bengalhoel » April 3rd, 2018, 8:06 am

I've got plenty more to add to this conversation at some point, but you already touched on one of my main topics. I just don't "get" Smash Bros., and I doubt I ever will. And this is coming from someone who bought both the original N64 version and the Gamecube sequel the day they came out, with high hopes for both. It just wasn't meant to be...

Super Smash Brothers has always been the equivalent of Starbucks to me. Everyone tells me its amazing so I try to like it but it just doesnt work for me.

Return to “Video Games General”