Why did you go back?

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Why did you go back?

Postby CharlieR » December 12th, 2016, 9:34 am

I wasn't sure what to call this thread, and I'm just brainstorming here. I'm guessing a lot of people here are more into retro games, and I'm not necessarily making this thread to explore why that is, although that is certainly a big part of the discussion.

Retro games have something new games don't. I would say the charm is one thing. Games also seem more fun back then, although that is more of an opinion.

Ps3 was the most recent console I played last night, but the game I played was Sonic's ultimate genesis collection: a collection of old games. I also played the demos I had for Scott pilgrim vs. the world and turtles in time: re-shelled - games that play like old school titles. Other disc based games I play a lot are Mortal kombat, Modnation racers, Littlebigplanet, High velocity bowling, Tony hawk 5 (yes that was released for ps3 quietly late last year.) Games that are pretty much pick up and play. I have Yakuza 4, and the streetfights have that old school feel, and I really want to get back into the game, but don't really care for much else besides the fights, and attractions such as batting cages.

Other than the installs and online requirements, I think story is a big part of things. Games have become so story driven, and less about gameplay. It also seems like games take a long time to get into these days.

Breaker

Re: Why did you go back?

Postby Breaker » December 12th, 2016, 4:49 pm

You hit on the biggest ones for me. Most of my gaming is done in 30 minute chunks. Maybe an hour if I'm really lucky. I want games that are pick-up-and-play, quick developing, and have relatively short levels. I also despise being online, so that can limit things post-6th generation.

Plus, if I want to play video games with my buddies, we get together in the same room and play looking at the same screen. Way more fun than via a headset.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 13th, 2016, 9:57 pm

Pretty much what he said. And I'll add that older games are way easier to figure out regarding controls. Nes has a D pad and 2 buttons, yet they had a lot of mileage out of that with some clever thinking. I appreciate that.

To be fair, I never left retro. I owned a GameCube, but never really loved it, 64 was better, but the Snes was my baby.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » December 14th, 2016, 7:30 am

For me, a big part of the love for retro gaming is pushing the power button, pushing start, and being able to jump into the game in a matter of seconds. I don't know whose bright idea it was to replace that with minutes of intro screens, but it's one of the things that I hate most about modern gaming!

I also like how, with many of the most challenging games, the stakes are raised with limited continues (Battletoads). Granted, having limited lives in a game like Dark Souls would make that game impossible, but it's still something that I miss.

Tim

Postby Tim » December 14th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I've never got into modern games, primarily because it feels like you need to devote so much time to them to learn them properly and get anywhere, andalso because they just seem to lack originality (too much FPS!). I also utterly despise the way modern games are going, in terms of buying a half (or less) finished game and having to "pay as you go" to buy the rest of it. Screw that! I like to be able to just switch on a game, play it for 30 mins to an hour and then leave it again. On a modern game, most of that is taken up by updating it, loading it and just getting started, and to be honest I just can't be bothered. I do own an Xbox One but it hasn't been out its box in years, even though I have bought the odd new game here and there. I also own a Wii U and that does get a bit more play time because its the closest home console you're going to get that to the 'classic' style of gameplay. I simply find it more fun to stick on a Megadrive game, and I love discovering new ones that I never got to play back in the day.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 14th, 2016, 6:35 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:For me, a big part of the love for retro gaming is pushing the power button, pushing start, and being able to jump into the game in a matter of seconds. I don't know whose bright idea it was to replace that with minutes of intro screens, but it's one of the things that I hate most about modern gaming!

I also like how, with many of the most challenging games, the stakes are raised with limited continues (Battletoads). Granted, having limited lives in a game like Dark Souls would make that game impossible, but it's still something that I miss.

I want to second this. There is something so nice about pushing power, the game firing right up, and just playing. It is the sole reason I have a hard time getting into my Wii. Having to use the wii mote to navigate the menu every single time I turn the game on shouldn't be a big deal, but it is for some reason.

Also, difficulty levels were substantially higher. Whether it was battletoads, ghouls and ghosts, or a basic platformer like Castle of Illusion, having finite lives and continues, a game that doesn't autosave every 2-3 minutes, or have massive online requirements is really... really nice.

I know part of it is nostalgia, but I also feel that with the exception of Nintendo as a company, that game makers/designers also don't experiment/take risks like they used to. While there are certainly exceptions and hidden gems that come out now, I feel like almost every 'big' game that comes out right now is more of the same. FPS games have taken over practically everything, even most RPGs are going in that direction. It seems like everything nowadays is some type of FPS or a major sports title.

Now, having said that, I do really want to play Doom 4... and the Mortal Kombat that came out a few years ago looks cool too...

Return to “Video Games General”