Resurgence of Split-screen?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Resurgence of Split-screen?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2017, 2:58 pm

A lot of people wrote it off long ago, but it seems like interest in split-screen play is still very much alive. Check out this article about how the Halo franchise is bringing it back after a huge backlash from the last game.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/ ... e-to-stay/

If anything, split-screen now makes more sense than ever. Not only do most people have big screens for gaming, but the technology has advanced to render all four screens with no lag. And what's more social that playing split-screen? Dating back to Super Mario Kart (SNES) some of my best gaming memories happened on splitscreen.

Thoughts?

Arnold

Re: Resurgence of Split-screen?

Postby Arnold » February 24th, 2017, 3:04 pm

I miss great split-screen simultaneous co-op games like Toe Jam & Earl and Bonanza Brothers for the Sega Genesis system.

Steve

Postby Steve » February 24th, 2017, 3:37 pm

I think this is great for the people who like it (I don't) but I'm very curious if the people who didn't buy Halo 5 because of this feature missing will go back to the franchise. I suspect there is going to be a lot of "I'll never forgive Microsoft" or something similar.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 24th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Steve wrote:I think this is great for the people who like it (I don't) but I'm very curious if the people who didn't buy Halo 5 because of this feature missing will go back to the franchise. I suspect there is going to be a lot of "I'll never forgive Microsoft" or something similar.

I always roll my eyes at these people. It's a video game decision...not a doctor prescribing you something dangerous. Geez.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 24th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Voor wrote:
Steve wrote:I think this is great for the people who like it (I don't) but I'm very curious if the people who didn't buy Halo 5 because of this feature missing will go back to the franchise. I suspect there is going to be a lot of "I'll never forgive Microsoft" or something similar.

I always roll my eyes at these people. It's a video game decision...not a doctor prescribing you something dangerous. Geez.

I don't. Like you said, it's just a video game decision. I can "not forgive" some silly video game company for doing something I dislike for as long as I want with essentially no consequences for me, of any kind, ever. Don't like a choice they made in Halo, go play some Killzone or Resistance or COD or Battlefield or any of the ten billion other choices. Don't like how Sony overpriced the PS3 and still haven't "forgiven" them, go buy an Xbox One or a Switch or a good PC.

No need to eyeroll these people. Being "mad" at a business decision from a company in such a deeply flooded market is easy and costs you nothing at all. I haven't bought a Sonic game new since Sega refused to put Sonic 4: Episode 2 on Wii. What'd it cost me? Some terrible Sonic games, and playing Freedom Planet instead.

Being "mad" at a faceless company is easy, cheap, and a bit cathartic. I say fill your boots.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 26th, 2017, 3:10 am

I'm very happy that the next Halo will have split screen. My wife and I love playing shooters together and while I did end up picking up Halo 5, it got very little playtime because it wasn't as fun taking turns. We had a lot of fun playing through the Gears 4 campaign together, but we don't really like the competitive mode so we don't have any games on Xbox One that we can play online together. We really like Overwatch, but it would be a lot more fun if we could play together. I really appreciate that online gaming exists because I have brothers who live in other states and it gives us a way to spend time together even when we're not in the same place, but I don't want to see online kill off split-screen.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 26th, 2017, 8:20 am

I would agree. I am really enjoying playing Rocket League on the Xbox One with my 8 year old daughter. It's a good time.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 27th, 2017, 10:18 am

Well, as someone that got banned twice on the Halo forums for being a bit too vocal about this subject I'm happy they stated they'll include split screen going forward.

However, I'll believe it when I see it. They said the same thing about Halo 5 and gradually withdrew all support of split screen over time. As a result, I don't trust anything they say. They've done nothing but lie in the past. The proof is in the pudding.

They released a failed and broken master chief collection and did nothing but gradually reduce features from Halo 5 until it was half a game at launch. Other than a complete lack of leadership at 343 on vision, their biggest problem is competent technical leadership. Without strong technical leadership, they'll continue to flounder and release half-baked games that will continue to be patched with updates. I'm hoping they'll partner with a 3rd party to assist with split screen and LAN. 343 certainly can't figure it out on their own.

Return to “Video Games General”