Movie Tie in Game that are GOOD?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Movie Tie in Game that are GOOD?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 19th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Everybody knows that movie tie in games usually suck, but there are some rare cases where they're actually pretty good. Do you know any?

I'm going to put Disney's The Haunted Mansion as mine. I'm not ENTIRELY sure if this can be classified as a movie tie in game since it has nothing to do with the Eddie Murphey movie besides the location, but since it came out at the same time as the movie I'll go ahead and assume it can be. It's not a AAA game by any means, but the puzzles are creative, the combat is enjoyable (usually) and it really does feel like you're in the Haunted Mansion. Creepy, but not too much for kids, and still loads of fun.

MoarRipter

Re: Movie Tie in Game that are GOOD?

Postby MoarRipter » March 19th, 2017, 10:18 pm

The Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure game that was released on PC was an excellent movie tie-in. It followed the film closely. I highly recommend it.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 20th, 2017, 7:09 am

I really enjoyed Defiance. It was an open world MMO on the 360 and PC.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » March 20th, 2017, 11:28 am

Ghost Rider for the PS2 (not a direct movie adaption, but released around the same time as the first movie) has decent Devil May Cry/God of War combat inter-spaced with cool-but-frustrating motorcycle sequences and has a story (written for the game by Preacher scribe Garth Ennis) told in comic-style cutscenes. There obviously wasn't much of a budget and the fight gets a bit repetitive after a while, but it's a much better game than I expected.

Batman for the NES is only vaguely tied to the story of the film through cutscenes (including one where Batman throws the Joker off a clock tower, as Batman is known to do), but it's still a very fun, albeit difficult, Ninja Gaiden-style action-platformer with cool music. The Critic gave it a C+, but I'm more inclined to give it somewhere in the range of an A- to B+.

If animated movies count, I think The Lion King for the Sega Genesis is a quality game that does an excellent job of following the story of the movie. The colorful graphics still look good (and remarkably on-model) and somehow the Genesis sound chip is made to do pleasant renditions of some of the songs from the movie.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 20th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Obligatory mention of the Chronicles of Riddick games. Also, the game for Peter Jackson's King Kong remake is supposed to be excellent, but I'll never know for myself since it won't run on anything newer than Windows XP. (I tried both Vista and 7 - no dice.)

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 20th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Several great games already mentioned. Batman for the NES was mentioned but there are quite a few other great Batman movie games. Batman for the Genesis is good, if not quite as good as the NES one, and Batman Returns for the Genesis and SNES are both great (and are completely different games).

Another great Disney animated movie game is Aladdin for the Genesis. The SNES Aladdin is also good, but the Genesis version has fantastic animation that looks like just like the movie, and music that uses tunes from the movie. It really feels like your playing the movie. The SNES Aladdin feels more like a generic, albeit high-quality, platformer with a coat of Aladdin paint.

Spiderman and SpiderMan 2 for the Xbox and PS2 (probably GameCube too) are great games. Spider-Man 1 is linear but SpiderMan 2 is open world and lets you web sling around New York. It may not have the deepest gameplay, but it really makes you feel like Spider-Man.

Die Hard Arcade is a good deal of fun. I'm not sure if it's based on any of the movies in particular; it doesn't seem like it. I wouldn't say it makes you feel like John McLain, but it is fun to play with a friend. I think it was ported to Saturn and PlayStation.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 20th, 2017, 1:54 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Batman for the NES is only vaguely tied to the story of the film through cutscenes (including one where Batman throws the Joker off a clock tower, as Batman is known to do), but it's still a very fun, albeit difficult, Ninja Gaiden-style action-platformer with cool music. The Critic gave it a C+, but I'm more inclined to give it somewhere in the range of an A- to B+.

My only real gripe with Batman is that the scoring system is so broken and pointless that they might as well have not included a score at all. Otherwise it's a terrific action game on par with the Ninja Gaidens and such, and definitely one of the best movie games. The Critic tends to downgrade games for high difficulty.

I've played Batman so much that I could eventually no death it. Whether I can do a no death run or even beat it without a game over usually depends on how I fare against the Joker. Sometimes I don't have any trouble and other times I just can't do it. One of the hardest final boss fights.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 20th, 2017, 2:41 pm

GOLDENEYE!

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » March 20th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Although I haven't played a lot of it I liked how LOTR The Return of the King on the GameCube morphed video footage of scenes into the gameplay. I haven't played much of it though so I don't know how closely the plot follows the movie.

zetax

Postby zetax » March 20th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Speed Racer (based on the movie, not the cartoon) for Wii was a decent futuristic racing game.

Return to “Video Games General”