Yet again Square-Enix slaps Americans in the face when it comes to Secret of Mana

General and high profile video game topics.
MoarRipter

Yet again Square-Enix slaps Americans in the face when it comes to Secret of Mana

Postby MoarRipter » June 7th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Square Enix once again poops on American consumers when it comes to the Secret of Mana. Years ago the Wii got a Virtual Console version of it. Since buying my Wii U in 2014 I have looked with excitement and anticipation every Thursday for the eShop update to see if SoM would be released for the Virtual Console and every time I was disappointed, even though they released it for the Japanese virtual console in 2013.

Now they've released a Seiken Densetsu collection for the Switch, three SoM games included in a (as kotaku put it) poorly done straight money-grab a la Super Mario All-Stars for the Wii - in other words, just a straight port of the games, no manuals, no digital art book, nothing but emulated versions of the games, for practically $50 in yen, which is quite expensive TBH for such a shoddily done collection with a half-assed effort but still it would at least give the games to those of us that want to play them on a handheld! But no, again Square Enix only released it for Japan. And if you buy the cartridge or purchase it digitally from the Japanese eShop for your American Switch it won't translate to English like some Japanese Switch games do.

This is a blatant slap in the face from Square Enix. I'm not going to buy Secret of Mana on iOS just so I can play it with horrible garbage touchscreen controls or have to buy a iOS-compatible controller just to be able to play it again, that's stupid when I have a perfectly good Switch/3DS that is far better than an iOS device for playing games that require a controller. They need to release these games for the American market and quit treating Americans like a bunch of red-headed stepchildren. Maybe this is an entitled rant but dammit, I've been waiting for years to play this game officially again without having to go hunt down a SNES or deal with roms and emulators with poor quality non-OEM controllers.

So all that rant being said, please sign the petition and hopefully we can get this company to listen and actually give us what we've wanted for years. Thank you.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bri ... the-united

BanjoPickles

Re: Yet again Square-Enix slaps Americans in the face when it comes to Secret of Mana

Postby BanjoPickles » June 7th, 2017, 11:49 pm

This would be the sort of compilation that would make me invest in the Switch, but I highly doubt that Square Enid will go to the trouble of translating it. They had the opportunity to port Final Famtasy Adventure to the 3DS VC and didn't do it, nor did they release Secret of Mana on Wii U. This will be no different than the Dragon Quest Collection that came out for Wii. Only in Japan, with absolutely no mention of a Western release. This just seems like such a Nintendo issue! Fatal Frame was a guaranteed American release until Nintendo got their grubby hands on the franchise; remember Operation Rainfall? It's a miracle that we even got those games, and they were released for a console that, by that point, had sold 95 million units! How many high-profile PS3/PS4 releases don't make it to the states?

Atariboy

Re: Yet again Square-Enix slaps Americans in the face when it comes to Secret of Mana

Postby Atariboy » June 8th, 2017, 12:36 am

I'm fine with them not bringing over a shoddy collection. It's too bad some unsuspecting Japanese customers will be trapped though.

JWK

Postby JWK » June 9th, 2017, 4:38 pm

I might get shunned by our VGF community for saying this, but consumers don't *have* to lose. Emulate the games. If a game is released by the original company for virtual console or a physical release, BUY IT. Show the companies there is still money to be made on these old projects. But if they're *not* willing to do that, emulate it. A great fan translation of Seiken Densestu 3 exists and it's a fantastic game; one of the best games on the Super Famicom. Wait and see what Square Enix does. If they release the collection here, great! Support it. Understand that even if it releases at the hefty price tag of $50, it's worth it, in my opinion. If they don't, emulate it.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » June 10th, 2017, 11:37 pm

JWK wrote:I might get shunned by our VGF community for saying this, but consumers don't *have* to lose. Emulate the games. If a game is released by the original company for virtual console or a physical release, BUY IT. Show the companies there is still money to be made on these old projects. But if they're *not* willing to do that, emulate it. A great fan translation of Seiken Densestu 3 exists and it's a fantastic game; one of the best games on the Super Famicom. Wait and see what Square Enix does. If they release the collection here, great! Support it. Understand that even if it releases at the hefty price tag of $50, it's worth it, in my opinion. If they don't, emulate it.

Totally, if they release the games translated for English in America on a Switch cartridge I will pay $60 for it no question even if its just the games emulated. I really want to play the games on the Switch. At this point I'd buy them if they were just available digitally.

Return to “Video Games General”