Games that are so bad they're awesome?

General and high profile video game topics.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Games that are so bad they're awesome?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 18th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Defender on the 2600. The developer's first priority to porting the hardest game in the arcade was making the coolest possible laser he could. It fills the sky with color, and only the small cost of displaying your ship. And this idea was the approach he took to all the extra features one button couldn't contain. Want to launch a bomb? Hide inside the city. (The mountains are a city now, because the 2600 struggles with triangles.) Want to launch yourself into hyperwarp? Fly so high that our camera can't track you.

Did I mention that when you can't be seen, you're invincible? Meanwhile, the enemies are struggling to even keep up with you. There's no question the cpu is struggling with all the action. But who cares? Your sprite needed to show off it's rocket fire more than they needed a fighting chance.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 19th, 2017, 1:41 am

mbd36 wrote:Bad Street Brawler is terrible in a laughable sort of way. What other game do you get to grope midgets to death? The Critic should definitely review this one. He thought that Target Renegade was bad...

Also, it was specifically intended to be played with the Power Glove. :lol:

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » June 19th, 2017, 10:27 am

*cough* *cough* No Man's Sky? That game alone could easily fill the void for this topic. :twisted: :twisted: ;)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2017, 3:14 pm

I think the original Daytona USA for the Saturn might be a candidate. The graphics had crazy pop-up but I love that bright arcade look. Also, the music is hilarious. That "Game Over" song? Priceless.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 19th, 2017, 4:25 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think the original Daytona USA for the Saturn might be a candidate. The graphics had crazy pop-up but I love that bright arcade look. Also, the music is hilarious. That "Game Over" song? Priceless.

I'll second this.... DAYTOOOONA!!!

And when you unlock the horses? hahahahhaa. Yeah, that game is so bad it's good.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 19th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Wait a second.. how did I forget the king of "so bad, it's awesome" games?... Girls Club for the Philips CD-i. This teenage girl dating simulator is terrible if you're a teenager, but one of the best party games of all-time if you're an adult. I made a topic about it in the Now Playing section at one point (viewtopic.php?f=202512&t=15289).

Another one that pops in my head is Ninja Golf for Atari 7800. I've never played it, but I've been wanting to for years. It's not a good game, but it's premise (a ninja playing golf, while fighting enemies between shots), is so ridiculous that it must be good. Shaq Fu also comes to mind..without Shaq, it's just an awful game..add Shaq and it becomes so awful that it's awesome. Bonus props to Yo! Noid, which is a bad game, but has the most awesome name in video game history. I just love saying it and have no idea why.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 19th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Most of the games listed (FMV games, Resident Evil, etc.) sound like they're good in spite of their flaws, not because of their flaws. :|

Are there any games anyone enjoys playing because their flaws are somehow entertaining? I've seen "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" listed, but does anyone enjoy playing it, or is it only funny to watch others suffer through it?

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 19th, 2017, 9:51 pm

pacman000 wrote:Are there any games anyone enjoys playing because their flaws are somehow entertaining? I've seen "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" listed, but does anyone enjoy playing it, or is it only funny to watch others suffer through it?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my wife and I had a blast playing through Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. It's gloriously half-assed, utterly bizarre (the chicken mask!), and once in a while it's even intentionally funny. And you literally can't lose, so the whole experience takes 90 minutes tops. It's a terrible game but in truth it's barely even trying to be a game in the first place -- it's more like a visual novel or something.

I think a lot of FMV games really aren't good games -- there's not enough gameplay to really justify them -- but the cheesy overacting and dated 1990s aesthetics are what make them entertaining enough to stick with.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 20th, 2017, 10:55 am

pacman000 wrote:Most of the games listed (FMV games, Resident Evil, etc.) sound like they're good in spite of their flaws, not because of their flaws. :|

Are there any games anyone enjoys playing because their flaws are somehow entertaining? I've seen "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" listed, but does anyone enjoy playing it, or is it only funny to watch others suffer through it?

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg (121.68 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

Cue up that addictive "Girl's Club" theme song!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GMwLMNli4g

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 20th, 2017, 2:15 pm

pacman000 wrote:Most of the games listed (FMV games, Resident Evil, etc.) sound like they're good in spite of their flaws, not because of their flaws. :|

Action 52 is amusing because it is so bizarrely awful. If it was just a collection of 52 mediocre NES games it wouldn't be memorable.

Return to “Video Games General”