Systems You Have Sold Off

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Systems You Have Sold Off

Postby matmico399 » June 20th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I did it today. I am a collector to some degree and have never sold one of my consoles since I did when I was in my 20's. I am mid 40's now. But last night I was looking for something to play. I decided a lil 2600 action was in order. I have all my consoles hooked up to two tvs except my Odyssey 2 simply because of its girth.

While looking over the consoles I saw one I think I have not literally played in two years. The N64. At first I was like no. But then it dawned on me I NEVER play it. I just am not at all interested in it. Just because I collect should I keep it to acquire dust? I could make some cash and someone else could enjoy it. Sure I play some systems more than others as everyone does. But I have played all of them in the last 4 months or so excepting the O2. So I sold it and the games I have for it. Do I feel regret. Not at all Now I have room for my Odyssey 2.

If You are a collector or not do you sell the stuff you never play or just keep it to say you have it? I used to be that way but as I have gotten older it almost seems dumb to me to keep a console you never touch. Your thoughts?

Rev

Re: Systems You Have Sold Off

Postby Rev » June 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm

A few years ago I decided to sell off a series of consoles that I knew I would never play- jaguar, virtual boy, and my Colecovision. My reasoning was I didn't enjoy the games for these consoles so I figured I'd focus on games for consoles I liked more. I haven't regret any of them minus the virtual boy as I never played them and when I did I didn't have fun...

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 20th, 2017, 4:08 pm

My parents never liked how into video games I was. I got my first console, a SNES, from my grandma on the fourth birthday. When my family moved to a new state when I was twelve, they got me a PS2-- but made me sell my SNES and all its games because they didn't think I needed two consoles. Eight years later, I bought a PS3 as my own graduation present, and my parents made me sell the PS2 as a trade off. One of the biggest perks of living on my own is that now I'm allowed to own as many consoles as I want!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 20th, 2017, 6:48 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:My parents never liked how into video games I was. I got my first console, a SNES, from my grandma on the fourth birthday. When my family moved to a new state when I was twelve, they got me a PS2-- but made me sell my SNES and all its games because they didn't think I needed two consoles. Eight years later, I bought a PS3 as my own graduation present, and my parents made me sell the PS2 as a trade off. One of the biggest perks of living on my own is that now I'm allowed to own as many consoles as I want!

I feel your pain, man! I hated having to part with my SNES to get an N64 on day one...but man, the temptation to play Super Mario 64 won me over.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 20th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Same here. I've nevered owned more than one system at a time, simply because I needed the cash from the old one to buy the new one. Lol.

I wouldn't object to it today, but I'd never own multiple system from the same generation. Shows a lack of commitment. Lol. (My brother has a PS4, Xbox One, and Switch......I have a 2DS).

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » June 20th, 2017, 11:21 pm

The only Console I owned that I sold off was my original Xbox mostly because there was only 1 game I had for it that I enjoyed GTA San Andreas but I had played that game SOOOOOOOOOO many times that I can't ever play it again lol. Plus the fact that there isn't a single good wrestling game for that system for me that's a major deal breaker for me.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 21st, 2017, 1:52 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:My parents never liked how into video games I was. I got my first console, a SNES, from my grandma on the fourth birthday. When my family moved to a new state when I was twelve, they got me a PS2-- but made me sell my SNES and all its games because they didn't think I needed two consoles. Eight years later, I bought a PS3 as my own graduation present, and my parents made me sell the PS2 as a trade off. One of the biggest perks of living on my own is that now I'm allowed to own as many consoles as I want!

My parents dis something like that to me as well, I lost, in my youth, several (3 I think?) Atari 2600's and 1 other Atari model that I genuinely can't remember. (I was young) My NES and all my games, and my sega genesis and all my games.

I think because of that I won't ever get rid of a system, even if I haven't played it on over a year, I like to have them, and at some point my life will slow down and I will want to revisit some of those old systems. And whenever I start the 'kids' thing, I want to have the opportunity to show them what really old school games were like.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 24th, 2017, 1:39 pm

My dad never understood my desire to hold onto my old consoles but usually he let me keep my games (or left it up to me) if I wanted to sell my old stuff for the new stuff. BY the time I was in high school I had 6-7 consoles that I had all hooked up. My dad never looked back after a new console came out (he always wanted to play the newest stuff) while I frequently played games for all my consoles. I think it helps having a nerd as a father because he was very active in doing a lot of gaming with me as a kid.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 24th, 2017, 11:30 pm

I'm starting to sell all my stuff. I've got all the games on an emulator so what's the point? I'm guessing that emulators will become more accessible in the future making the actual physical games worth less and less.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 26th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I sold off a ton of my stuff when I was a kid, and then later when I was a broke teen including my Jaguar, Genesis x2, SNES, NES, Intellevision, Gameboy, Game Gear, Virtual Boy, Atari, Commodore 64, Sega CD. YIKES!

Now im in the process of buying everything back. So if you guys have some good stuff youre getting rid of, let me know! :D

Return to “Video Games General”