Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 3rd, 2017, 12:21 am

I mean the recently released FIFA 18 port of the Nintendo Switch bombs with only 1% of the sales coming from it in the UK alone!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUck7blivM It only outsold the PS3 version, but it got crushed by the Xbox 360 version in the country with more sales on a 12 year old console, WTH! My guess this port flopped because of it being a port of the PS3/Xbox 360 version and not the superior PC/PS4/Xbox One edition which could have ran on the console as they ran on the Frostbite 3 engine which was on the PS3/Xbox 360 BTW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite_(game_engine). And mind you the full fat Unreal Engine 4 is native on the Nintendo Switch with impressive results from Snake Pass:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7Rn9YUXm8, and Ubisoft Snowdrop engine with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle with impressive results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRIpIcM0W9k, and id Tech 6 with Doom 2016 port with impressive visuals for the device give zero reasons why the FIFA 18 port is a piece of garbage in the state it is in! Heck, the NBA 2K18 port on the Nintendo Switch is based on the PC/PS4/Xbox One editions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ount=218so the FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch port is laughable at best!

Man, a great reason to HATE EA aka Dr. EA Robotnik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnn0fVoiV4 for their terrible Nintendo Switch support i mean no Madden 18, no Mass Effect: Andromeda (even though the game sucks!), no NBA Live 18, no Need for Speed Payback, no Star Wars Battlefront II, no Anthem, no A Way Out, no Sea of Solitude. And not even a port of The Sims 4 of all games is skiping the Nintendo Switch of all consoles! And mean while Bethesda, a company that had little to no Nintendo history is going all out with Skyrim, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II.

So remember Nintendo Switch fans, buy from real Nintendo Switch partners like Sega, Atlus, Arc System Works, Bandai Namco, Inti Creates, TT Games, Capcom, Grasshopper Manufacture, Hamster, Nippon Ichi Software/NIS America, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Telltale Games, THQ Nordic, Ubisoft, Marvelous/Xseed, Konami, Koei Tecmo, and Bethesda and stay away from game from Dr. EA Robotnik as you will be considered a miserable pile of secrets if you buy from Dr. EA Robotnik!
Last edited by Sonicx9 on October 3rd, 2017, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OzGamer

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby OzGamer » October 3rd, 2017, 7:34 am

Sonicx9 wrote:I mean the recently released FIFA 18 port of the Nintendo Switch bombs with only 1% of the sales coming from it in the UK alone!

Everything I've read so far about the Switch port would suggest EA handled it poorly, but I think the low sales can be attributed, perhaps, to a low install-base for sports titles such as FIFA on Nintendo platforms.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 3rd, 2017, 8:46 am

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 3rd, 2017, 12:05 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Man, a great reason to HATE EA aka Dr. EA Robotnik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnn0fVoiV4 for their terrible Nintendo Switch support i mean no Madden 18, no Mass Effect: Andromeda (even though the game sucks!), no NBA Live 18, no Need for Speed Payback, no Star Wars Battlefront II, no Anthem, no A Way Out, no Sea of Solitude. And mean while Bethesda, a company that had little to no Nintendo history is going all out with Skyrim, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II.

So remember Nintendo Switch fans, buy from real Nintendo Switch partners like Sega, Atlus, Arc System Works, Bandai Namco, Inti Creates, TT Games, Capcom, Grasshopper Manufacture, Hamster, Nippon Ichi Software/NIS America, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Telltale Games, THQ Nordic, Ubisoft, Marvelous/Xseed, Konami, Koei Tecmo, and Bethesda and stay away from game from Dr. EA Robotnik as you will be considered a miserable pile of secrets if you buy from Dr. EA Robotnik!

So what you're saying is that if I have a Switch, I should buy games released for the Switch and not buy games that weren't released for it? It's... not like I would have a choice to do otherwise.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 3rd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Thanks for the fixed link!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 3rd, 2017, 1:26 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Man, a great reason to HATE EA aka Dr. EA Robotnik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnn0fVoiV4 for their terrible Nintendo Switch support i mean no Madden 18, no Mass Effect: Andromeda (even though the game sucks!), no NBA Live 18, no Need for Speed Payback, no Star Wars Battlefront II, no Anthem, no A Way Out, no Sea of Solitude. And mean while Bethesda, a company that had little to no Nintendo history is going all out with Skyrim, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II.

So what you're saying is that if I have a Switch, I should buy games released for the Switch and not buy games that weren't released for it? It's... not like I would have a choice to do otherwise.

What I meant to say is to protest against evil EA aka Dr. EA Robotnik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnn0fVoiV4 for their terrible 3rd party support for the console, and to only buy from real Nintendo Switch partners that care about the system in terms of quality game support for the console.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 3rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Probably doesn’t help that Nintendo hasn’t traditionally performed well in the UK.
So small install base in a big soccer enthusiastic market with the same game available on multi platforms is the perfect storm for low sales.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 3rd, 2017, 3:58 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:to only buy from real Nintendo Switch partners that care about the system in terms of quality game support for the console.

But you say that as if there's an alternative. "Buy good Switch games" is something that anyone who has a Switch at all is trying to do.

The only actual substance here is "protest against evil EA" - I suppose I'll just join all the anti-EA picketers in the streets? And EA is an awful company, but not supporting a weaker system like the Switch when that takes significantly more time and money isn't so much evil as it is laziness. Compare that to, say, the absolute crime of their exclusive NFL license.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 3rd, 2017, 6:00 pm

but not supporting a weaker system like the Switch when that takes significantly more time and money isn't so much evil as it is laziness.

Neither. Just business. If EA can make as much money without supporting the Switch, why should they support the Switch?

I'm assuming EA has had a poor relationship with Nintendo since the NES. Trip Hawkins once called Nintendo an evil monopolist, or something to that effect. Here's an older article, from when Atari and Atari Games were suing Nintendo. Includes quotes from game company presidents calling Nintendo a monopoly: http://articles.latimes.com/1989-03-19/business/fi-223_1_video-game-market Doesn't have the Trip Hawkins quote I mentioned, but it does have this:

The notion (that competition should be minimized,) accepted in Japan, where the economy is tightly monitored by the government, flies in the face of the free market system, argues Trip Hawkins, founder of Electronic Arts, a San Mateo personal computer game publisher.

Even if he's not part of EA anymore there are still folks in the company who resent Nintendo, who'd rather deal with other companies.

And it's not just EA; that resentment has hurt Nintendo's 3rd party support for the past 10 years. 3rd parties in general no longer need Nintendo; 3rd parties are still mad at/afraid of Nintendo for trying to control the market, so 3rd parties don't support Nintendo systems. :cry:

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 3rd, 2017, 7:55 pm

pacman000 wrote:Neither. Just business. If EA can make as much money without supporting the Switch, why should they support the Switch?

Oh, I agree. "Laziness" is probably a little harsh, but I was just trying to emphasize their indifference toward the Switch market rather than the malice that Sonicx9 presumes.

pacman000 wrote:I'm assuming EA has had a poor relationship with Nintendo since the NES.

Nah, this is about hardware, not ancient resentments over a monopoly long passed (and of all the companies to be morally outraged over monopoly, modern EA is the last that I'd expect). Nintendo's last system to be technically on par with its competition, the GameCube, had plenty of EA titles.

Return to “Video Games General”