Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

General and high profile video game topics.
JWK

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby JWK » September 6th, 2018, 11:58 pm

These “the PS4 is overrated though I have zero experience with it” arguments are always good for a laugh.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 7th, 2018, 3:36 pm

JWK wrote:These “the PS4 is overrated though I have zero experience with it” arguments are always good for a laugh.

I have played the PS4 at kiosk demos units, and a friend house and conventions, and from my experiences it nothing special and that why I think it is overrated as the Nintendo Switch is far more creative but that just me.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 7th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
JWK wrote:These “the PS4 is overrated though I have zero experience with it” arguments are always good for a laugh.

I have played the PS4 at kiosk demos units, and a friend house and conventions, and from my experiences it nothing special and that why I think it is overrated as the Nintendo Switch is far more creative but that just me.

Out of curiosity what is your opinion of the Xbox One?

Did you like the previous generation with PS3 and Xbox360?

Maybe you just do not like modern games :D

...... and of course, that is absolutely fine, there is no substitute for individual taste....

Hardware is nothing more than a means to play the games you like. You can have great user friendly hardware but it is not worth as much if it does not have the games to back it up. A console needs more than a couple of memorable games. Ergo, PS4 fanboyism at least has some roots grounded in the merit of software. Nintendo fanboyism rests on the weaker foundations of hardware innovation.

Dismiss the hardware by all means but do not forget that games make the console. It would take one heck of a round of intellectual gymnastics to prove that the Switch Library is better than the PS4. Even if we agreed to cut out all pre 2017 PS4 titles, the PS4 still comes out on top in terms of software, by a mile.... ;)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2018, 1:17 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Out of curiosity what is your opinion of the Xbox One?

I had played it at kiosk and conventions, but I think it even worse then PS4 because of the lack of exclusives, less Japanese/Indie game support, worse interface, etc. The only thing the Xbox One and S and X do better then PS4 is Rare Reply and Backwards compatibility but those two mean nothing if everything else is worse.

DrLitch wrote:
Did you like the previous generation with PS3 and Xbox360?

My opinion on 7th gen is a mix bag depending on the system, loved the DS, not a fan of the PSP, (but loved the Vita as it was the PSP done right just poorly marketed and flopped!), not a fan of the Wii mostly because of the motion controls and shovelware, but loved the backwards compatibility with GameCube and Wii games with GameCube/Classic Controller support but even then it was scarce. At first I loved the Xbox 360 because of Xbox Live Arcade more then the physical games, but over time that system got worse and worse and the PS3 got better and better and I became more of a fan of the later due to the PS1/PS2 download classics, (only have the super slim as the PS3 fat with PS2 backwards compatibility are prone to break), the PS3 exclusives, many of the best download only multi-platform games and PS2 HD Remasters, (unpopular opinion I prefer playing PS2 games on the PS3 via PS2 download classics/HD remasters because I can not stand the PS2 graphics compared to GameCube and Dreamcast versions but that just me.), and more importantly had the ability to play PS1 (second unpopular opinion I prefer the PS1 and PS3 over PS2 and PS4 but that just me so get mad at me?)

DrLitch wrote:
Maybe you just do not like modern games :D

...... and of course, that is absolutely fine, there is no substitute for individual taste....

I am not a fan of modern gaming because of milking of game patches/DLC/Microtransactions/lootboxes/installs/GOTY edition re-releases which should have been the complete games at day 1 but are not, can not stand most big western developed AAA games outside of a few exceptions especially bro FPS games, etc. I like gaming between the 3rd gen (NES) all the way up to 6th gen because that was when gaming was at it best compared to now and that just me.

DrLitch wrote:
Hardware is nothing more than a means to play the games you like. You can have great user friendly hardware but it is not worth as much if it does not have the games to back it up. A console needs more than a couple of memorable games. Ergo, PS4 fanboyism at least has some roots grounded in the merit of software. Nintendo fanboyism rests on the weaker foundations of hardware innovation.

Dismiss the hardware by all means but do not forget that games make the console. It would take one heck of a round of intellectual gymnastics to prove that the Switch Library is better than the PS4. Even if we agreed to cut out all pre 2017 PS4 titles, the PS4 still comes out on top in terms of software, by a mile.... ;)

About the first point the ease and convenence of the Switch reminds me of a old school console which I prefer, and for the second point you have a point that 2017 onword is when the PS4/Xbox One game libraries got way better because cross-gen/handheld versions of next gen games where mostly dead save for a few rare exceptions 2017 onward because it made the 8th gen lack an identity and the graphic leap was small in the first few years which was a red flag in the beginning especially with the early launch games.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 8th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:because I can not stand the PS2 graphics compared to GameCube and Dreamcast versions but that just me.), and more importantly had the ability to play PS1 (second unpopular opinion I prefer the PS1 and PS3 over PS2 and PS4 but that just me so get mad at me?)

I like gaming between the 3rd gen (NES) all the way up to 6th gen because that was when gaming was at it best compared to now and that just me.

About the first point the ease and convenence of the Switch reminds me of a old school console which I prefer, and for the second point you have a point that 2017 onword is when the PS4/Xbox One game libraries got way better because cross-gen/handheld versions of next gen games where mostly dead save for a few rare exceptions 2017 onward because it made the 8th gen lack an identity and the graphic leap was small in the first few years which was a red flag in the beginning especially with the early launch games.

Everything you said makes sense, I can see where you are coming from.

There are more people like you than you realize, a lot of folks think of the 3rd - 6th gen as the peak of video-gaming, the good days where innovation and game design counted in the face of limited hardware, days where games could be really clever, creative, inventive, and fun. Nowadays, most gaming companies play it pretty safe. The trend of companies releasing games too early, before they are properly complete, is worrisome. Elex and No Man's Sky are good examples - games were trash on release but now actually quite good once relevant patches are installed and new content downloaded. PC in particular is number one offender, many games are in a perpetual beta state :roll:

In any case, it is what it is, modern games on a modern platform, it is natural that Xbox and PS4 are going to be judged more favorably in this context. It is clear the modern gaming approach is working, games sell well. I am on the fence with many, Fallout is one of my favorite gaming series and Fallout 76 looks like it is going to be an online money hog....

No complaints from me, PS2 graphics were mostly horrible, even back in the day. But it had some killer software, some classics on there. It also had some very weak ports of Xbox/Gamecube games as well. Resident Evil 4 for instance. But it is what it is, a flawed system with a truck load of games. Lots of good ones, lots of bad.

The PS1 was a fantastic system no arguments from me - probably the best system of the 5th gen. Any system that has Castlevania Symphonies of the Night gets my seal of approval :D. I am counting down the days for Bloodstained Ritual of the Night...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 9th, 2018, 11:02 pm

A little late so response time,

DrLitch wrote:There are more people like you than you realize, a lot of folks think of the 3rd - 6th gen as the peak of video-gaming, the good days where innovation and game design counted in the face of limited hardware, days where games could be really clever, creative, inventive, and fun. Nowadays, most gaming companies play it pretty safe. The trend of companies releasing games too early, before they are properly complete, is worrisome. Elex and No Man's Sky are good examples - games were trash on release but now actually quite good once relevant patches are installed and new content downloaded. PC in particular is number one offender, many games are in a perpetual beta state :roll:

So true as today's games are nothing but a money grab and it s hows with this video.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHbsMIMyCI

DrLitch wrote:In any case, it is what it is, modern games on a modern platform, it is natural that Xbox and PS4 are going to be judged more favorably in this context. It is clear the modern gaming approach is working, games sell well. I am on the fence with many, Fallout is one of my favorite gaming series and Fallout 76 looks like it is going to be an online money hog....

So true this online only games as a service does not appeal to me at all!

DrLitch wrote:No complaints from me, PS2 graphics were mostly horrible, even back in the day. But it had some killer software, some classics on there. It also had some very weak ports of Xbox/Gamecube games as well. Resident Evil 4 for instance. But it is what it is, a flawed system with a truck load of games. Lots of good ones, lots of bad.

True, PS2 had quality games namely the exclusives from 1st and 3rd party which is what I use my PS2 for as I prefer to get multi-console games on GameCube and Dreamcast at the time frame. It rather interesting that the Sega Dreamcast released before the PS2 had less jagged graphics like because of the Sega Dremacast more V-Ram which was the systems edge to that department and it shows. My favorite part of PS2 was the Kingdom Hearts series coming from someone who is not a big RPG guy, (prefer the Action RPG games myself.)

DrLitch wrote:The PS1 was a fantastic system no arguments from me - probably the best system of the 5th gen. Any system that has Castlevania Symphonies of the Night gets my seal of approval :D. I am counting down the days for Bloodstained Ritual of the Night...

You are not wrong, the PS1 along with the Sega Saturn kick the N64 butt as that system sucked in comparison outside of Nintendo and Rare offerings being the only thing the N64 was good for as everything else either sucked or had better multi-platform games on other systems and it shows.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 10th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:True, PS2 had quality games namely the exclusives from 1st and 3rd party which is what I use my PS2 for as I prefer to get multi-console games on GameCube and Dreamcast at the time frame. It rather interesting that the Sega Dreamcast released before the PS2 had less jagged graphics like because of the Sega Dremacast more V-Ram which was the systems edge to that department and it shows. My favorite part of PS2 was the Kingdom Hearts series coming from someone who is not a big RPG guy, (prefer the Action RPG games myself.)

You are not wrong, the PS1 along with the Sega Saturn kick the N64 butt as that system sucked in comparison outside of Nintendo and Rare offerings being the only thing the N64 was good for as everything else either sucked or had better multi-platform games on other systems and it shows.

Dreamcast was well ahead of it's time. Graphically it was excellent although I always thought it was a notch down on Xbox/Gamecube. Graphically better/cleaner than many PS2 titles for sure but I have a hard time seeing God of War 1,2 or Shadow of Colossus being rendered at playable frame rates on it. Who knows though, the system only lasted around 3 years to the PS2's 7+ I do not think we saw the best of it's capabilities.

N64? I personally liked the system, yes most cross plat releases were worse on N64, maybe Shadowman being the exception (The PS1 version was horrible). N64 really lacked 2D gaming and fighting games, which were very well serviced on Saturn and PS1. It was awesome for multiplayer though. Goldeneye is some of the best multiplayer gaming ever, just as long as nobody is allowed to pick Oddjob :lol: .

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 10th, 2018, 8:57 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Dreamcast was well ahead of it's time. Graphically it was excellent although I always thought it was a notch down on Xbox/Gamecube. Graphically better/cleaner than many PS2 titles for sure but I have a hard time seeing God of War 1,2 or Shadow of Colossus being rendered at playable frame rates on it. Who knows though, the system only lasted around 3 years to the PS2's 7+ I do not think we saw the best of it's capabilities.

You are right for the most part, but the one area the PS2 was better then Dreamcast was the CPU, but we will never know knowing the short lifespan of the Dreamcast.

DrLitch wrote:
N64? I personally liked the system, yes most cross plat releases were worse on N64, maybe Shadowman being the exception (The PS1 version was horrible). N64 really lacked 2D gaming and fighting games, which were very well serviced on Saturn and PS1. It was awesome for multiplayer though. Goldeneye is some of the best multiplayer gaming ever, just as long as nobody is allowed to pick Oddjob :lol: .

That true for the most part and it is true the N64 lacked quality 2D gaming and fighting games along with 60FPS games as many simple 3D and 2D titles on PS1/Sega Saturn where 60FPS compared to N64 which was mostly 30FPS or lower and it shows.

Return to “Video Games General”