NES Classic Impressions

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Re: NES Classic Impressions

Postby Sonicx9 » July 1st, 2018, 12:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Do the Wii Classic controllers work with the NES Classic? I'm afraid to try!

100% yes because the NES Classic controller port is the same as the Wii one so yes!

GTS

Postby GTS » July 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm

When the NES Classic first launched, automated bots bought up a lot of the online orders. Looks like that isn't the case this time, which is good. I was able to grab one the first time around, however, I detected a delay in the controls (TV was in game mode, and I play other systems on the same TV without delay). I compared the controls with actually original NES games I owned. It was enough to make me sell it, which I did.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » July 1st, 2018, 3:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Do the Wii Classic controllers work with the NES Classic? I'm afraid to try!

Yes Wii Classic controllers work great with it. Even 3rd party ones work i got a wii classic controller from Amazon for less than 10 dollars and it works perfectly the only thing with it is you might want to get the extension cables as well though are pretty cheap on Amazon as well.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 1st, 2018, 4:07 pm

Another Classic Controller benefit is that the home button, which is absent on actual NES/SNES Classic gamepads, is functional here. It allows you to access the dashboard without getting up and hitting the reset button on the NES Classic (Same holds true for last Fall's SNES Classic).

There is one caveat with Classic Controllers on the NES Classic Edition though. If you're a fan of using the Y & B buttons for two button classics on Nintendo's ABXY button layout, there's no option here to remap NES A/B functions to these buttons. You're instead stuck with rigid button mapping that opts for matched button lettering rather than maximum user comfort.

Especially with platformers like the Super Mario Brothers series, it's much more comfortable for many of us to hold down the Y button to run while jumping with the B button (Which is the same setup Nintendo themselves went with when releasing 2D Mario platformers on systems with 4 button controllers).

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 4th, 2018, 3:30 am

I was lucky enough to find one, in the Wild, today (Nintendo must have really stepped up their game, since everybody I know who wanted one, who missed out the last time, managed to snag one this weekend):

My thoughts? It’s a cool little device, but it has sort of a “meh” factor, after the awesomeness that was the SNES Classic! The lineup really should have been beefed up, since several of these games (Baloon Fight, Ice Climber, Excitebike, etc. are not likely to hold TMNT attention. It would have been nice if Nintendo would have worked with Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, and Arc Systems Works to make their contributions more complete. The addition of Castlevanias 1 and 2 was nice, but Castlevania 3 should have been included, as should have Mega Man 1 and 3, Double Dragon 1, Ninja Gaiden 2, and even Nintendo’s own Startropics 2. It also would have been nice if River City Ransom would have been included, since it was released on the Famicom Mini.

As is, though, it was totally worth the $60!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 4th, 2018, 9:40 am

BanjoPickles wrote:I was lucky enough to find one, in the Wild, today (Nintendo must have really stepped up their game, since everybody I know who wanted one, who missed out the last time, managed to snag one this weekend):

My thoughts? It’s a cool little device, but it has sort of a “meh” factor, after the awesomeness that was the SNES Classic! The lineup really should have been beefed up, since several of these games (Baloon Fight, Ice Climber, Excitebike, etc. are not likely to hold TMNT attention. It would have been nice if Nintendo would have worked with Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, and Arc Systems Works to make their contributions more complete. The addition of Castlevanias 1 and 2 was nice, but Castlevania 3 should have been included, as should have Mega Man 1 and 3, Double Dragon 1, Ninja Gaiden 2, and even Nintendo’s own Startropics 2. It also would have been nice if River City Ransom would have been included, since it was released on the Famicom Mini.

As is, though, it was totally worth the $60!

From what I read you can Mod this thing easy enough and there is enough memory to load the entire NES library on it.

I enjoy it but it creates a "too many games and not enough time to play them" issue. I agree that the SNES classic is much better. I

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2018, 11:55 am

I love my NES Classic. The old games look so sharp on my HDTV and the controls are fine. The interface is very slick. You may recall a few months ago I accidentally bought a knock-off. Compared to that this one seems so polished!

I wonder what the plan is for the future? These little consoles are certainly lucrative. Does Nintendo plan to keep releasing them with new sets of games? I personally would prefer that over the whole digital-download approach. I kind of wish they would release one with a "cartridge slot" which could handle new sets of games.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 4th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I suppose we'll soon learn one way or another if there's a future for this new product line, at least where Fall 2018 is concerned. Nintendo announced the NES Classic Edition on July 14th 2016 and the SNES Classic Edition on June 26th of last year. So we're certainly in that time frame to be hearing about something new coming this fall.

VideoGameCritic wrote: I kind of wish they would release one with a "cartridge slot" which could handle new sets of games.

Are you aware of the Retro USB AVS?

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.p ... 94791720f0

It's 3rd party and doesn't have the glamour of coming from Nintendo themselves, but it's an economical and extremely well done high-definition NES system that supports original cartridges and accessories.

Several of us around here own one of these and love it.
Last edited by Atariboy on June 15th, 2022, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 16th, 2018, 9:08 am

Atariboy wrote:I suppose we'll soon learn one way or another if there's a future for this new product line, at least where Fall 2018 is concerned. Nintendo announced the NES Classic Edition on July 14th 2016 and the SNES Classic Edition on June 26th of last year. So we're certainly in that time frame to be hearing about something new coming this fall.

It's starting to not look so promising. It's the middle of August and no word yet on a follow-up.

Return to “Video Games General”