NES Classic Impressions

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NES Classic Impressions

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2018, 3:50 pm

I just got my NES Classic and thought I'd give a few first impressions. Compared to the SNES Classic, this little console is a bit rough.

First, when you start it up or swap out games it seem ands to be sending a signal to my TV causing it to display messages like "HDMI 1 720p" which sticks around on the screen for too long.

When configuring the settings I made the mistake of setting auto-shutoff to on, thinking it would shut the system off if I forgot about it. But once I set that on, I couldn't get the system to stay on for more than a few seconds! I seriously thought there was something wrong with the system and would have to return it before figuring it out!

The games look fine but when there's actually a little "loading" spinner that appears between games. That doesn't appear on the SNES classic. Also, when you hit reset it takes about 5-10 seconds for the menu to come back.

With 30 games it's a good value. The graphics look crisp and the control seems tight, although the B button seems slightly less responsive than the A button. The system only comes with one controller (unlike the SNES Classic) and the wire is short.

It's pretty obvious Nintendo is learning it lessons and making these classic consoles better with each iteration. I would not be surprised if they release a new and improved version of the NES Classic in the future, if only because there's a lot to improve upon.

If you have to choose between the two, go with the SNES Classic.

David

Re: NES Classic Impressions

Postby David » March 23rd, 2018, 4:58 pm

Not to scare you, but my first impressions reading your post made me think it might be a knockoff. I don’t own one but from reading impressions and looking at videos it looks every bit as snappy as the SNES Classic. I also remember reading about all the clones being sold because it was such a hot item. Might want to double check.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2018, 6:37 pm

How do I double check?

David

Postby David » March 23rd, 2018, 7:03 pm

Google?

https://www.i4u.com/2017/12/126443/fake ... c-relaunch

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354886/almos ... being-sold

Maybe Youtube some videos of the menu to make sure the interface is the same. I’m pretty wary of buying any of those new because of this. I bought my SNES Classic from Gamestop and am gonna wait for the second batch of NES Classics.

Where did you buy yours from?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2018, 8:13 pm

I got it off Ebay, and guess what David, you were RIGHT. It IS fake.

The first few links I checked weren't very conclusive, because this is a VERY CLOSE knock off.

However, I finally came across this video which left me with no doubt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_nXTWR9W2s

- no included card
- coloring of box
- no shielding on circuit board!

This explains why none of the youtube videos had "loading" screens.

I'm arranging a return, and don't expect it will be a problem.

Thanks for looking out, David!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 23rd, 2018, 10:40 pm

Did you know that Nintendo announced last Fall that they were rereleasing these this coming summer?

So even if it was genuine, there's no reason unless you're just dying to have it now, to pay a markup on Ebay for one. Nintendo learned their lesson as the widespread and ongoing availability of the SNES Classic Edition has shown, so I doubt anyone that wants one and missed out in 2016 will have trouble securing one this summer. Would rather defeat the point when this is supposed to make up for those stock shortages back then.

When you do, consider buying this accessory. It's a perfect accompaniment to the NES Classic Edition in my opinion and it was very cheap last fall. I think I paid $15 on Amazon for a new one back about November. And come rerelease time, I imagine the prices will rise quickly for this.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 24th, 2018, 5:53 pm

I sent the system back today to get a full refund.

I can see the game the ebay seller is trying to play. Obviously there's a good chance the buyer won't notice it's a fake, and he'll make out like a bandit. When I told him it wanted a refund, he offered a 50% refund and let me keep the system. Obviously I said no, but I would imagine some people might say yes and he still would come out on top.

Having learned my lesson, I think I'll hold out till Nintendo makes a new batch this summer.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 24th, 2018, 6:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I sent the system back today to get a full refund.

I can see the game the ebay seller is trying to play. Obviously there's a good chance the buyer won't notice it's a fake, and he'll make out like a bandit. When I told him it wanted a refund, he offered a 50% refund and let me keep the system. Obviously I said no, but I would imagine some people might say yes and he still would come out on top.

Having learned my lesson, I think I'll hold out till Nintendo makes a new batch this summer.

Can you report him to Ebay for selling fakes? People shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 24th, 2018, 6:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I sent the system back today to get a full refund.

Can you report him to eBay? Need to get guys like that off eBay.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 24th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Yes I will!!

Return to “Video Games General”