NES Classic Impressions

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: NES Classic Impressions

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2018, 1:57 pm

After getting my refund, I left negative feedback AND reported it as counterfeit.

It's actually very hard to find the "Report" link for each listing, but it's there (near the bottom).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 13th, 2018, 11:24 pm

The bottom of Nintendo of America's product page for this product now says that the NES Classic Edition returns June 29th. 2018.

https://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2018, 11:57 pm

This is great news - thanks! Same as the first version I assume?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 14th, 2018, 11:06 am

They haven't modified any details on the page. Pictured is the same console box (So no 2nd controller out of the box like the SNES Classic had), same game lineup, same MSRP, etc. So it doesn't look like any significant changes have happened compared to the original release.

I do wonder if one improvement has happened under the hood. The 240p pixel count of NES games doesn't upscale nicely in 720p, resulting in motion shimmering being evident at times when moving. They were able to address this nicely on the SNES Classic Edition via a technique known as interpolation, which slightly softened the edges of pixels and effectively hid it with no loss in image quality.

I'm curious if they'll update the NES Classic emulator to include a similar fix.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 29th, 2018, 3:43 pm

The rerelease launched today, including a return of the very scarce standalone controllers that are priced at $9.99 (The NES Classic Edition only comes with one). No sign that any changes were made to the system or controller, including the 3' controller cord.

I recommend two things for any newcomers here. Invest in Wii remote extension cables if you're not playing at something like a computer desk, and consider the excellent NES Advantage styled arcade stick from Emio if you're a fan of such accessories. I like mine very much and they're very cheap to acquire new right now.

https://www.amazon.com/NES-Edge-Joystick/dp/B01MTRYSSK

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2018, 6:26 pm

I was tipped off about this a week ago, so I arrived at a Gamestop bring and early this morning. There was already a line but I finally got one. They also had some wireless controllers in stock but they went before it was my turn. No wired controllers.

I was kind of annoyed because the sketchy looking girl in front of me purchased two, and I could tell from her conversation she was just buying them to scalp. So annoying.

Also picked up the new Mario Tennis Aces game for the Switch!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 1st, 2018, 9:05 am

I ordered one on BestBuy.com too, and should arrive this week. It's already shipped. I didn't order until several hours after launch, so either there is a lot less demand or a lot more supply this time (probably both). I've only played my SNES Classic for a grand total of like 2 hours, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing with this thing. But I kicked myself last time for not getting one and didn't want to do that again.

Best Buy had extra controllers when I ordered mine, but I actually found one at Toys R Us a few weeks back, so already had one. I'll be all set if it uses the same extension cables as the SNES Classic. I got those on Amazon for like $2 each.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 1st, 2018, 10:44 am

After my Best Buy waiting line experience, I vowed to never do that again. I ended getting one from GameStop online months later. But, aside from SMB2&3, and Ninja Gaiden, I never played it.

Truth is, the SNES is the system I did most of my gaming on. I plan to borrow a SNES Classic soon, and that will help me knownif I play it enough to warrant a purchase*.

*ive been seeing them on Amazon recently for around $90 with prime shipping.

One thing—I thought the wireless controllers had some lag associated with them. I could barely play Punch Out with them, and did MUCH better with the wired controllers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2018, 11:47 am

Do the Wii Classic controllers work with the NES Classic? I'm afraid to try!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 1st, 2018, 12:27 pm

Yes, official Wii Classic Controllers and Wii Classic Controller Pro's work just fine. The many bootlegs out there though may be hit or miss. Super Nintendo Classic Edition controllers also work without issue as do the many 3rd party NES Classic/SNES Classic branded accessories.

3rd party Wii/Wii U accessories though in general, including officially licensed controllers from companies like Hori and PDP, usually don't work. Unless it's marketed explicitly as being compatible with the NES/SNES Classic, don't count on Classic Controller equivalents from such companies to actually work with this. No harm though will happen if you find an incompatible controller, it just won't work.

Accessory maker Emio embarrassingly found this out with the first run of that arcade stick I praised earlier. They got it out for the original launch of this in 2016, and they didn't work . Seems like 3rd parties frequently leave something out or deviate from original Classic Controllers in some small way, which never gave an issue when plugged into a Wiimote.

But suddenly with the NES Classic Edition, it was a problem and was breaking compatibility. They had to rush out free adapters to cure the issue for their early customers with 1st run units.

Return to “Video Games General”