Love it or hate it

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Love it or hate it

Postby CharlieR » April 3rd, 2018, 2:54 pm

I know of at least three games or games series that in my opinion, gamers seem to love them or hate them. I’ve read a lot about these games and game series, and fans do seem to be divided among them, as some love them or hate them, from what I’ve read.

Monster Hunter series – I’ve seen gamers say they love these games, while others hate them. I don’t necessarily hate the game, but it is a game series that I have attempted to get into several times, and maybe someday I will, but for now, I just don’t find these games enjoyable. This is weird to me, because these games seem like I would enjoy them, with big monsters to slay, weapons to upgrade, etc. Combat just feels slow and clunky to me, and it seems to take forever to navigaate the map. Some people love these games, and I suppose once you get into them, they provide a deep and immersive experience

Sonic CD – I’ve seen people say that this is the best 2d Sonic. I’ve played through this game, and I believe the level design makes it tough to enjoy. I have this on Sonic Gems Collection for Gamecube, and I made it to Wacky Workbench before I got tired of the level design. The time travel aspect was also confusing for me.

Super Mario Sunshine – Many people regard this as their favorite 3d Mario game in the series, citing the exploration aspect, the F.L.U.U.D, and the overall platforming as reasons why they love it. However, some people mention the camera, bland level design/missions, blue coins being a pain to find as reasons why they hate it. I know it’s a game I’ve owned a couple times, trying to convince myself to enjoy it. To me, it just didn’t really have that Mario “feel” to it. I found the platforming, in Ricco Harbor specifically, to be a chore.

Can anyone think of any others?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Love it or hate it

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 3rd, 2018, 5:54 pm

Dark Souls. The people who like it love it, the ones who don't curse its very existence. I spent years hating it, but eventually I forced myself to sit down and play it seriously, and when I finished it was one of my favorite games. But some people just don't have the patience to learn the game. Dark Souls is notorious for how difficult it is, and while it's definitely no walk in the park, the real challenge is throwing away the habits other games have given you and learn how Dark Souls is supposed to be played. After that, it's still tough, but it no longer feels impossible.

bengalhoel

Postby bengalhoel » April 3rd, 2018, 10:59 pm

Im starting to think that FF 15 is that way. It has generally gotten good reviews but everyone I know hates it. I liked it at first but after playing for about 20 hrs I longed for some turned based combat myself.

Legend of Zelda Links adventure is another one that people love or hate. That side scrolling addition really upset people although I personally loved it.

Any Madden game in the last 13 years. You have a EA army who play this but I want my NFL 2K back. Screw you EA!!!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 4th, 2018, 2:40 am

Sonic Force and Yooka-Laylee are both love it or hate it games as people either like or love them are hate their guts especially Yooka-Laylee with it controversies and mix reviews!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » April 4th, 2018, 1:23 pm

CharlieR wrote:Sonic CD – I’ve seen people say that this is the best 2d Sonic. I’ve played through this game, and I believe the level design makes it tough to enjoy. I have this on Sonic Gems Collection for Gamecube, and I made it to Wacky Workbench before I got tired of the level design. The time travel aspect was also confusing for me.

Can anyone think of any others?

Yes, Sonic CD, I don't hate the game, but I do not particularly enjoy it either (and I'm a big Sonic fan). I agree on the level design.

Some other games you might mention:

Red Steel 1 (Wii) - I actually liked this one quite a bit, more than the sequel, but many people seem to dislike it.
Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast/GameCube) - is a brilliant 3D Sonic game? Or is it a Sonic game with a horrible hub structure in a crappy 3D camera?
Myst (PC/Mac CD-ROM and everything else) - I remember I was quite impressed with this game when I first saw it (aged 12) in 1993! It look amazing back in the days and it's quite atmospheric. But I guess the critics who say it's just a boring slide show are just as right...

Return to “Video Games General”