Videogame Magazines

General and high profile video game topics.
mappy mouse pd

Videogame Magazines

Postby mappy mouse pd » April 13th, 2005, 12:37 pm

I only read EGM every few months, but I swear every time I do, there's a perfect score. Vice City go a 10, for God's sake! Double Dash did too, but I don't think the original got higher than 9s when it was released.

Even if games are getting better (I don't think they are) then the magazines should hold them to higher standards and give out fewer perfect scores.

Chicken Warrior

Videogame Magazines

Postby Chicken Warrior » April 13th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Many magazine's average scores are probably something like 6.5 - 7.0. To tell you the truth, I don't think this is unfair or biased. The persentage of games are average at very least. There are some games that are terrible, for which the lower scores are reserved, but just because most games are good doesn't mean that they should rate them all or under. Game companies put so much work and money into creating these games that they don't dare let them turn out badly. Some fail, yes, but really that many. Games should be reviewed compared to what developers COULD do with the given hardware, not compared to what other developers have already done.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Videogame Magazines

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2005, 7:47 pm

[QUOTE=Chicken Warrior]Many magazine's average scores are probably something like 6.5 - 7.0. To tell you the truth, I don't think this is unfair or biased. The persentage of games are average at very least. There are some games that are terrible, for which the lower scores are reserved, but just because most games are good doesn't mean that they should rate them all or under. Game companies put so much work and money into creating these games that they don't dare let them turn out badly. Some fail, yes, but really that many. Games should be reviewed compared to what developers COULD do with the given hardware, not compared to what other developers have already done.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. By definition "average" means about half the games are better, and half are worse. You can't have a classroom where every student is above average - half are going to be below. The magazines don't adhere to this however, and when they start giving everything 8's and 9's, they lose credibility. Granted, publishers put more effort into games nowadays, but that should just raise the bar.

Return to “Video Games General”