Game/Movie collection tracking app?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Game/Movie collection tracking app?

Postby ActRaiser » April 28th, 2018, 10:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Unfortunately I haven't been able to fully migrate my Excel spreadsheet to the Google Docs yet.
So I'm kind of stuck for now.

Hehe, I'm pretty sure you can open an excel file within Google sheets...aka done in a single step.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2018, 10:52 pm

I think my spreadsheet is too old because it doesn't work that way.

djc

Postby djc » April 29th, 2018, 9:12 am

About a year ago I started using Completionator (completionator.com) to track my games. It tracks a ton of info about each game. My only complaint was at the time it seemingly took a bit of time to enter the game details but it works well and has box art for most of the games.

Before that, I cataloged my games in Microsoft OneNote (just a listing) that I could update at home and bring up on my phone so when I find older games, I can check to see if I already own it prior to buying.

The Video Game Database app looks interesting with the barcode scanning ability so I may give that a whirl too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2018, 10:54 am

I got my old spreadsheet into googlesheets. Just had to save the original as xltx instead of xlts.
FYI

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 29th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Like others mentioned, I also use a homemade spreadsheet. I needed one for years because I had a bad habit of rebuying games I already owned. Finally my wife made me a nice one on Excel. It has tabs for each system, and a main page that shows some overall statistics.

For years, I searched around for a website or app that would make it easy for me. But at the end of the day, I don't think anything will beat a homemade Excel spreadsheet, tailored to your specific collection. Here's a few of the problems I could foresee with a dedicated website or app: (1) it can't possibly have every game and system in existence, particularly imports or games for obscure systems; (2) no app will have all the features/statistics you want for tracking your collection; (3) eventually the app/website will probably stop getting updated, which will create problems as new games keep coming out; (4) you lose your entire database someday when the website/app permanently shuts down, which seems almost inevitable in the internet world.

VideoGameCritic wrote:The problem is, the spreadsheet is only available on my computer.

I emailed my spreadsheet to myself, and I access it from my email on my iphone when I'm at game stores. I also converted it to a PDF and saved it to my iphone. The only problem with those options is that the tabs don't work as well with those methods. (Anyone else know a better way to do this?)

scotland

Postby scotland » April 30th, 2018, 9:24 am

Retro STrife wrote:Like others mentioned, I also use a homemade spreadsheet. I needed one for years because I had a bad habit of rebuying games I already owned. Finally my wife made me a nice one on Excel. It has tabs for each system, and a main page that shows some overall statistics. For years, I searched around for a website or app that would make it easy for me. But at the end of the day, I don't think anything will beat a homemade Excel spreadsheet, tailored to your specific collection.

This is what I have as well. Its been very transportable for years, although if you don't have access to Microsoft Excel, you may have to jump through a hoop or two.

It lets me organize games as I want them organized. I don't need barcodes or anything like that, since many of my games are still loose carts. I also like to track games that come pre-loaded on some multicarts, games that came pre-installed on Flashback and other retro systems, plug and play systems (I have a lot of those), dedicated first generation systems, dedicated handheld games, and even physical video game books.

Oddly, I don't currently have the digital downloads or e-books recorded. Most of the marketplaces I visit already record my digital purchases, but I certainly could risk re-buying a game on a different marketplace. Maybe I really don't consider my digital purchases part of my collection, whether an e-books or an 'e-game'.

Do you track digital purchases, or only physical ones?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 30th, 2018, 10:08 am

scotland wrote:Do you track digital purchases, or only physical ones?

I've bought my fair share of digital games over the years (especially on Xbox 360 and PS4), but personally I don't keep track of any digital purchases in my spreadsheet. To me, they're not tangible and they have no resale value, so they're not part of my "collection".

Return to “Video Games General”