Anyone still favor "wired" controllers?

General and high profile video game topics.
Dhalsim18

Anyone still favor "wired" controllers?

Postby Dhalsim18 » May 26th, 2018, 8:39 pm

I can't be the only one out there that still prefers to use wired controllers over the wireless ones am I? I mean the Xbox one controller I had used batteries, and other controllers need to be charged all the time. Which seems to a bit of a hassle. But the wired controllers are cheaper and you just simply plug them in. Then again I am old school.

pacman000

Re: Anyone still favor "wired" controllers?

Postby pacman000 » May 26th, 2018, 9:22 pm

I still prefer wired controllers, for the reasons you listed. (Cheaper, no need to charge, no batteries to mess with or corrode.)

Sut

Postby Sut » May 27th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Oh god hell no.
No kids/pets tripping over the wires, kicking back on the sofa not worrying if sat close enough. Controllers not getting tangled together, no hornets nests of wires when playing multiplayer.

They are something I definitely do not miss.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 29th, 2018, 10:23 am

I definitely do not mind wired controllers. You can make an argument for tangled wires, etc. but if you take good care of your controllers, it's fine. I sit close to the tv, so I don't really need wireless. I do have the ps3 wireless controllers, and sometimes I play with them charging anyway.

Did anyone ever notice the batteries in the wii remote never stay charged. This is part of the hassle that the original poster was talking about. I play wii games every once in a while, though whenever I come back to play, the batteries are always dead. This could be because of cheap batteries, but I have an off-brand remote in my room and the batteries stay charged in that, but batteries in Nintendo branded remotes drain fast. Strange. This happens with the rechargeable battery in the gamepad as well.

I believe the power A switch controllers with the cool designs are wired. I'm sure there are people who are turned off by that and think it's crazy to have a wired controller in this day and age, but I'm ok with it. Don't have a switch but I'd probably get one if I did.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » May 29th, 2018, 10:42 am

I kinda like them both, if my friends are over and we are playing it’s usually wireless.. if just me a lot of times it’s wited

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 29th, 2018, 2:55 pm

CharlieR wrote:I definitely do not mind wired controllers. You can make an argument for tangled wires, etc. but if you take good care of your controllers, it's fine. I sit close to the tv, so I don't really need wireless. I do have the ps3 wireless controllers, and sometimes I play with them charging anyway.

Did anyone ever notice the batteries in the wii remote never stay charged. This is part of the hassle that the original poster was talking about. I play wii games every once in a while, though whenever I come back to play, the batteries are always dead. This could be because of cheap batteries, but I have an off-brand remote in my room and the batteries stay charged in that, but batteries in Nintendo branded remotes drain fast. Strange. This happens with the rechargeable battery in the gamepad as well.

I believe the power A switch controllers with the cool designs are wired. I'm sure there are people who are turned off by that and think it's crazy to have a wired controller in this day and age, but I'm ok with it. Don't have a switch but I'd probably get one if I did.

I much prefer wired controllers for this reason. I have a wii and the controllers go through batteries so fast. It's really annoying. I wish you could go through the interface with a plugged in GC controller. I'd play it a lot more if I could do that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm

I prefer to have the option. My 360 controllers are obviously wireless, but if the batteries run out they have a cord that connects directly to the console. To be honest, I just use the cord most of the time.

djc

Postby djc » May 30th, 2018, 12:24 am

I generally prefer wireless controllers but man do they eat batteries...

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » May 30th, 2018, 1:37 am

Eh, it depends on the design and how it feels, how much of a mess the wire is, and (should the option be available) how well the connection between wireless works.
When I'm using pc, I'll typically use the xbone controller, connect through a dongle and it works fine. When it dies, I'll just replace the batteries or find a way to charge it. I'll also give the dualshock 4 a try once in awhile on pc, but use a long usb cord because frankly the bluetooth connection is terrible. I'd like to try it wirelessly, but I can't stand the input delay. When it comes to sixth generation consoles, I'm gonna have to go with wired because I hate the design of all the wireless controllers (yes even Wavebird,) and I don't trust the connection between those and the console. I mean, are wireless controllers really a convenience if the entire set up is a strenuous process for it to work properly?

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » July 4th, 2018, 11:41 pm

I've never had long life with any wireless controllers outside of the PS3, under normal usage circumstances I can expect a 20% overall degrade in charge retention over a quarter of a year, I swear we were at this point with battery technology in the early 2000's! I can't keep my controller on the charging wire without the paranoia of damaging its charge retention and having to replace the pack, or the contacts having a short so that it loses contact even if he pins are healthy. I just cut my losses and went back to wired.

Return to “Video Games General”