Key to a good sandbox game?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Key to a good sandbox game?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 7th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I'm not a big fan of open world sandbox games. I've never understood the appeal of having a gigantic world that takes forever to get from one place to another, and nothing to do in between but collect crafting items. However, I can think of two that managed to hook me: Breath of the Wild and Just Cause 3. So, in your opinion, what do you think is the key to making a good sandbox game?

BlasteroidAli

Re: Key to a good sandbox game?

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 8th, 2018, 10:56 am

Fallout 3, have a huge environment and let players do what the want in it. Not just what the developer wants them to do.

JWK

Postby JWK » July 8th, 2018, 11:33 am

My biggest requirement is *excellent combat.* It also helps if there’s a lot of variety in the combat, letting you choose how you approach enemies and situations. It’s why I’m so high on Horizon: Zero Dawn. Breath of the Wild is obviously an incredible game, but the combat in Horizon is 10x better, in my opinion.

I was also a big fan of Far Cry 3 last generation because stealth was a strong option for capturing outposts. It’s also an ADHD gamers dream... or nightmare. I guess all these open world games can make the same claim, huh?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 10th, 2018, 4:17 am

Actually make the world worth exploring. Don't just make a huge, yet barren open world. Fill your world with stuff to do (tons of enemies, minigames, plentiful sidequests, etc.)

Return to “Video Games General”