The Crew 2 game review

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Crew 2 game review

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 11th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I was reading this review of Ubisoft's The Crew 2 game, and it made me realize how annoying the state of game reviews is today.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/ ... everybody/

Clearly this game is just plain bad, but two lines really got under my skin:
- The Crew 2 is going to need a lot of time and work to feel like a worthwhile purchase.
- Skip The Crew 2 until a patch or five. Even then, maybe check to see if the handling has improved at all.

This isn't a preview of an upcoming title; this game is for sale NOW. The concept of companies fixing their shoddy software after the fact is bad enough, but now it seems reviewers are allowing that to be used as a safety net.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think you should be reviewing the game you are playing, with zero regard to how it may or may not be patched or upgraded in the future. Don't even speculate! If anything you should assume the game will NOT get any better. Who in their right mind would give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt?!

Hell, with this line of thinking no game will ever get derided. It'll always be "oh sure it's bad now but in 6 months in might be great!"

Thoughts?

astrodomekid

Re: The Crew 2 game review

Postby astrodomekid » July 11th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Not gonna lie: I actually like The Crew. Heard it was mediocre at first, but it did get better as it went on. Sure the controls were kinda slippery when I first played it, but after a while you get used to it. I can only assume that history will repeat itself here.

jon

Postby jon » July 11th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I think it's been discussed before whether things were different in the mid 90's. I distinctly remember in Gamepro a lot of games getting bad reviews; it was usually one of the most interesting reviews of the issue, with jokes being made about how bad the game is. I guess there's the possibility even in 1995 that big name publishers were getting preferential treatment, but I never noticed. I just knew that if a game was bad in 1995, there wouldn't be all these great reviews with people praising how amazing it was.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 11th, 2018, 11:30 pm

I enjoyed The Crew and look forward to the sequel. I also loved the Test Drive Unlimited series, which many of these developers previously had worked on.

The big problem here isn't all the post release support in my opinion, it's that they continue to saddle the game with an always online requirement. The Crew was perfectly playable solo and 99% of my time was spent enjoying it by myself, yet you still had to be connected to the server even though the game quite frankly was at its best as a single player experience. So unlike Test Drive Unlimited which can still be enjoyed today even though only AI vehicles populate the open world, The Crew will cease to be playable once server support ceases.

The Crew 2 maintains this requirement the last I heard, despite a lot of negative reaction over it the first time around. Was hoping they'd listen like EA did after Need for Speed 2015's always online requirement when they lifted it for Need for Speed Payback. But no such luck with Ubisoft...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 12th, 2018, 3:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was reading this review of Ubisoft's The Crew 2 game, and it made me realize how annoying the state of game reviews is today.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/ ... everybody/

Clearly this game is just plain bad, but two lines really got under my skin:
- The Crew 2 is going to need a lot of time and work to feel like a worthwhile purchase.
- Skip The Crew 2 until a patch or five. Even then, maybe check to see if the handling has improved at all.

This isn't a preview of an upcoming title; this game is for sale NOW. The concept of companies fixing their shoddy software after the fact is bad enough, but now it seems reviewers are allowing that to be used as a safety net.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think you should be reviewing the game you are playing, with zero regard to how it may or may not be patched or upgraded in the future. Don't even speculate! If anything you should assume the game will NOT get any better. Who in their right mind would give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt?!

Hell, with this line of thinking no game will ever get derided. It'll always be "oh sure it's bad now but in 6 months in might be great!"

Thoughts?

I agree, many games are given a free pass because they are early access betas these days and that is just insulting, and to add insult to injury, The Crew 2 has Microtransactions and is on this wiki!: https://crappy-games.wikia.com/wiki/The_Crew_2, this trash has got to stop now!

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » July 13th, 2018, 11:39 am

he crew one was another one of the games which are on-line only. I have it and played it once. It The word trash comes to mind.

I heard crew 2 was a buggy piece of trash and was like could it be as bad as the crew at launch?

Online only games are like this.

Ubisoft is getting famous for this.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » July 27th, 2018, 9:46 am

The first The Crew game was rough at first as it had absolutely head-scratching issues and a lack of replayability but a decent amount of cars, The sequel which I did pre-order the golden edition is a step-up but there needs to be more content as I've counted 130 vehicles so far with an additional 2 from the last update.

Sure, The Crew 2 might have amazing life-like graphics and more kinds of vehicles and activities to do but It becomes a grind fest to earn all the vehicles (unless you got a full 4 player crew, Then it's another story and it can make for some amazing late-night fun),

The A.I does have Rubber-Band A.I. Syndrome but with good players and very high level vehicles you can easily beat them, I wish I could say the same thing about the Rival events in each "Discipline". Never-The-Less If Ubisoft can prove they are trying to make it better than the first, Then they may redeem themselves after the failure of Steep/Ghost Recon Wildlands. :evil: :evil:

Return to “Video Games General”