PS4 controller for PS3 games?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

PS4 controller for PS3 games?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 27th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I just learned there's a way you can connect your PS4 controller to your PS3 to play PS3 games with it. That's good for me since all my PS3 controllers are falling apart and you can't buy them anymore. The downside is that it takes away sixaxis controls and rumble support. What do you guys think, is it a worthwhile trade off?

Rev

Re: PS4 controller for PS3 games?

Postby Rev » July 27th, 2018, 5:33 pm

I'm curious, how do you do it? I have 4 PS4 controllers and 1 PS3 one so that'd be cool.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 27th, 2018, 5:51 pm

You plug the PS4 controller into the PS3's usb port, go to the PS3's bluetooth settings, and then hold the Share and PS buttons on the controller until the PS3 picks it up as a bluetooth device.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 28th, 2018, 12:16 am

Is compatibility still limited, or did Sony fix it with a firmware update? Was far from a 1:1 replacement a while back. Gran Turismo 6, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and I believe Ico are games I ran across issues with when I tried it several years ago.

And other than the obvious lack of Six Axis motion control, I wasn't able to get controller rumble working, nor did the home button/Playstation button function to bring up the dashboard.

I'd love it if it was 1:1 replacement, sans SixAxis. I prefer the PS4 controller over the PS3.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 28th, 2018, 3:46 am

I've found that it's not as responsive, and sometimes doesn't work properly when you have to hold the buttons down. Found this out the hard way when I was trying to throw a runner out at the plate playing The Show, and instead of a hard, crisp throw home, Yadier Molina scored easily on the soft throw that you get when you tap the button.

Return to “Video Games General”