Super Mario Odyssey vs. Breath Of The Wild

General and high profile video game topics.

Which game do you prefer?

Super Mario Odyssey
44%
The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
56%

Total votes: 9

LoganRuckman

Super Mario Odyssey vs. Breath Of The Wild

Postby LoganRuckman » July 28th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Now both games are great, and there's no doubt that they're currently the biggest games available for Switch. But which game is better?

Breath Of The Wild is incredible and deserves all the praise it got. It really made some big changes to a series many felt was getting stale. It took the open world design and exploration philosophy of the original game and modernized it. And I am having so much fun exploring every nook and cranny, taming horses, doing sidequests, defeating enemy camps, cooking, gliding, climbing, etc. However, I would have been perfectly fine with another traditional Zelda game.

To be fair, I would have been fine with a 2D Mario, or a smaller obstacle based 3D Mario in the vein of Galaxy or 3D World. But the thing is, Odyssey is pretty much everything I wanted out of a 3D Mario game. I still prefer 64 and Sunshine to Galaxy and 3D World/Land (still wonderful games tho) due to the larger sandbox style levels and exploration in the early 3D titles. And I had to wait 16 damn years for another 3D Mario to return to it's roots. And Odyssey freaking delivers, with huge levels that still offer plenty of fun platforming challenges. The bright and colorful visuals are a treat to behold, you get another great OST, and the level design is as good as ever. And the game is loaded with charm, from the 8 bit 2D sections to the brilliant capture gimmick. I was constantly greeted with new mechanics and gameplay variety. And I feel the big addition (capturing) is more enjoyable than BOTW's fragile weapons system. It is for those reasons I prefer Odyssey to BOTW, despite both being great games.

What do you guys think?

DrLitch

Re: Super Mario Odyssey vs. Breath Of The Wild

Postby DrLitch » July 29th, 2018, 1:15 pm

I think Odyssey is probably the best 3D Mario game of the lot, but... there is more to a Zelda game.

While I do not think Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda (it quickly becomes boring thanks to ease at which one can level up their armor or acquire powerful weapons), I definitely got more mileage out of this one over Odyssey.

Comparisons like this are always subjective since we are comparing a fun 3D platformer to a more open world RPG-like (or should I say RPG-lite) game. RPG open world fanboy's like myself would tend to gravitate this way in any Vs battle between two so called champions in these particular sub-genres.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 29th, 2018, 1:38 pm

One could argue that the SNES has the best 2D versions of these games, and Switch has the best 3D versions.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 30th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Super Mario Odyssey no contest, the game is the best looking exclusive game on the Nintendo Switch that puts awful PS4 games like Bubsy to complete shame, Breath Of The Wild is a quality game, but the problems for that game is the infamous breakable weapons, but that just me, also Breath Of The Wild visuals are not as good because it was a Wii U roots game, where Super Mario Odyssey was 100% developed with Switch from day 1 and the graphic differences are night and day, and it shows!

Rev

Postby Rev » July 30th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Honestly, now that I've finished Super Mario Odyssey and had some time away from it I have to say that Super Mario Odyssey is one of my least favorite Mario games. I think it nails a lot of aspects but when you boil down the gameplay it is very limited. The amazing jumping moves that Mario can complete really boil down to a long jump, hat throw, long jump, hat throw, etc and the game never really opened up even more options to control as Mario. The moons are also very simple and this game made me realize that just because a game has more of something, doesn't mean it's better. I would rather collect every star in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 because each one was a challenge, compared to SMO which I felt just had them to have them. A lot of them I felt no accomplishment towards collecting bc they simply were there, floating around the stage. It wasn't always like that but whenn 80% of your collectibles are it kind of ruins the magic...

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 30th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Voor wrote:One could argue that the SNES has the best 2D versions of these games, and Switch has the best 3D versions.

The best 2D Zelda is either Zelda II or Link's Awakening.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 30th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Super Mario Odyssey no contest, the game is the best looking exclusive game on the Nintendo Switch that puts awful PS4 games like Bubsy to complete shame...

Mario Vs Bubsy, that is definitely a new one in the console vs console stakes...

Rev wrote:I would rather collect every star in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 because each one was a challenge, compared to SMO which I felt just had them to have them. A lot of them I felt no accomplishment towards collecting bc they simply were there, floating around the stage. It wasn't always like that but whenn 80% of your collectibles are it kind of ruins the magic...

Your post mostly sums up my feelings as well, although this still probably is my favorite 3D Mario. Once I got around 300 moons, I was more than done. 1000 moons? pffft...

I do miss the 120 stars in Mario 64 and some of the challenges in getting them.

Gentlegamer wrote:The best 2D Zelda is either Zelda II or Link's Awakening.

Zelda II, that game was tough, too hard for this old gamer to like it all too well....
Nintendo are well overdue a remaster of the original Link's Awakening, great game btw.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 31st, 2018, 4:27 am

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Super Mario Odyssey no contest, the game is the best looking exclusive game on the Nintendo Switch that puts awful PS4 games like Bubsy to complete shame...

Mario Vs Bubsy, that is definitely a new one in the console vs console stakes...

I love to make fun of Bubsy just like how people make fun of Barney the Dinosaur, also that game was a junk!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 2nd, 2018, 2:14 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
Voor wrote:One could argue that the SNES has the best 2D versions of these games, and Switch has the best 3D versions.

Please explain.

Not because I disagree with you, but I want to know your reasoning.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 2nd, 2018, 7:05 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:

Please explain.

Not because I disagree with you, but I want to know your reasoning.

Zelda II - unique in the Zelda series as an action RPG, with very good fighting, the last Zelda where every boss didn't have some gimmick requiring the dungeon item used on it

Link's Awakening - perfect refinement of the style introduced by Zelda III

Return to “Video Games General”