NES Classic best selling console

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NES Classic best selling console

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2018, 9:18 pm

I'm glad Nintendo is finally pumping out the NES Classic in reasonable volumes, so people can actually buy them.
But I have to admit I was shocked it outsold all the modern consoles in June!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/2/17642 ... -june-2018

How is this possible, and what does it mean?

Stalvern

Re: NES Classic best selling console

Postby Stalvern » August 2nd, 2018, 9:48 pm

Because there were so few the first time around. Anyone interested at all was scrambling to get one while they knew they could, not knowing if there would be another chance.

I have to think at this point that this was Nintendo's plan all along. A strange strategy, but it clearly worked.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 2nd, 2018, 9:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm glad Nintendo is finally pumping out the NES Classic in reasonable volumes, so people can actually buy them.

It means that people are fed up with AAA BS games that have been making people angry that is why!

zetax

Postby zetax » August 2nd, 2018, 10:48 pm

I guess I'm partly to blame... WallyWorld had a few a week ago, so I bought one. I don't even care for many NES games (I'm an old 2600 guy). But it's got good Donkey Kong/Pac Man/Galaga... Weird how this stuff works-out..

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » August 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm glad Nintendo is finally pumping out the NES Classic in reasonable volumes, so people can actually buy them.

It means that people are fed up with AAA BS games that have been making people angry that is why!

Umm no...it doesn't mean that at all. It means that millions of people were waiting to get their hands on one and Nintendo finally supplied enough inventory. That is all.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 3rd, 2018, 9:48 am

Hah! I bought one while at Target last week as well. It's still in the box. I'm looking forward to playing around with it. On my SNES Classic it pretty much has every RPG on it one could imagine wanting to play through after hacking it. Terrific little system. I'll do the same to this guy as well.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 3rd, 2018, 10:41 am

Interesting. I wish they said the sales figures to see how big the difference was.

I didn't care about the NES Classic at all when it was first announced a couple years ago -- until no one could get one... then suddenly I wanted one. It's awful how our brains work.

I never got one back then. Then for the re-release, I bought one on Best Buy online, after it went up on their website. I've been playing it on and off lately. Mainly I'm working on Super Mario Bros 3, and trying to finally play through all the levels in the game. I don't think I could do it on my real NES, because it's too much of a pain without the handy save feature of the NES Classic.

I don't mind the short controller cables, because I bought long extension cables on Amazon for under $5 each. My biggest problem is that there's no controller button to return to the Home screen. I have to pull my lazy self off the couch constantly to reset, so that I can save my game. In SMB3, it gets hard later in the game and I want to save after every level, which is a real pain.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 6th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:

That’s ridiculous. If that were true, then games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, every new Call of Duty, and so many others wouldn’t be multi-million sellers. Also, it’s for one month. NES Classic has sold, what, about 6 million units, at $60 a pop (the price of a game), whereas PS4, I believe, has crossed the 80 million mark and is still selling extraordinarily well. People may be getting tired of certain aspects of AAA gaming (microtransactions, DRM, and such), but they’re still buying.

I can tell you exactly what it means: Nintendo created a highly-desirable, well-made product that takes what AT Games did with the Flashback series and makes it good, authentic. I’ve heard parents talk about buying one as a means of getting their kids into gaming, which is actually part of the reason why I bought one. Also, how many people, who gave up on gaming wins ago, purchased one to relive some of those old memories? Also, the scalping game is still a factor, even though they probably underestimated Nintendo’s ability to mass manufacture them this time around.

There is value in nostalgia, but this means nothing, in regards to modern gaming.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 6th, 2018, 5:37 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:

That’s ridiculous. If that were true, then games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, every new Call of Duty, and so many others wouldn’t be multi-million sellers. Also, it’s for one month. NES Classic has sold, what, about 6 million units, at $60 a pop (the price of a game), whereas PS4, I believe, has crossed the 80 million mark and is still selling extraordinarily well. People may be getting tired of certain aspects of AAA gaming (microtransactions, DRM, and such), but they’re still buying.

I can tell you exactly what it means: Nintendo created a highly-desirable, well-made product that takes what AT Games did with the Flashback series and makes it good, authentic. I’ve heard parents talk about buying one as a means of getting their kids into gaming, which is actually part of the reason why I bought one. Also, how many people, who gave up on gaming wins ago, purchased one to relive some of those old memories? Also, the scalping game is still a factor, even though they probably underestimated Nintendo’s ability to mass manufacture them this time around.

There is value in nostalgia, but this means nothing, in regards to modern gaming.

I am not a fan of most big western AAA games save for rare exseptions likeHorizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted series, etc. Because most of them are not my cup of tea, that is also why I favor the Switch over the PS4 any day of the week!

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 6th, 2018, 7:27 pm

And I love my Switch also, but the success of the NES Classic isn’t predicated on the pending failure of an entire industry, because sales figures do state otherwise. When people, en mass, get tired of something, that something stops selling. It happened with disco, with MC Hammer, with the entire video game industry, circa 1983/84. Claiming that the NES Classic’s success is the direct result of the failings of the modern industry really doesn’t make any sense.
You can’t compare a $60 mini console that only plays a pre-selected, limited number of emulated titles to consoles that cost five times that amount, that are still vital, and are still building their respective libraries. It’s like comparing apples to shoelaces.

Return to “Video Games General”