Playing as the bad guys?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Playing as the bad guys?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 4th, 2018, 4:07 pm

I've been playing Tales of Berseria lately, and I was drawn in at first by the fact that you presumably play as the story's villain. That stops being the case later on, when it turns out the "good guys" are a load of douche bags and you're actually doing everyone a favor by killing them off. It's still a good story, but it became a lost less unique when they went that direction, and I can't understand why they chose to do that. Right or wrong, the characters all have solid reasons for doing what they're doing, so they're relatable despite being villains. Did the developers think nobody would want to play a game where you're the antagonist? I would have thought games like Grand Theft Auto have made it clear that people LOVE being the bad guys. Maybe it's because ToB is an RPG, so it's more story heavy than something like GTA.

What do you guys think? Would you want to play a game where you're the bad guy?

C64_Critic

Re: Playing as the bad guys?

Postby C64_Critic » August 4th, 2018, 5:05 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've been playing Tales of Berseria lately, and I was drawn in at first by the fact that you presumably play as the story's villain. That stops being the case later on, when it turns out the "good guys" are a load of douche bags and you're actually doing everyone a favor by killing them off. It's still a good story, but it became a lost less unique when they went that direction, and I can't understand why they chose to do that. Right or wrong, the characters all have solid reasons for doing what they're doing, so they're relatable despite being villains. Did the developers think nobody would want to play a game where you're the antagonist? I would have thought games like Grand Theft Auto have made it clear that people LOVE being the bad guys. Maybe it's because ToB is an RPG, so it's more story heavy than something like GTA.

What do you guys think? Would you want to play a game where you're the bad guy?

One of the better DOS/Windows games I played back in the day was Dungeon Keeper, where you did indeed play the bad guy (the evil lord of an underground dungeon, working to kill any do-gooder knights or heros who entered and attempted to kill your creatures or steal your treasure). It was a novel spin back then, and highly enjoyable. I am kind of surprised that there haven't been a huge glut of games that take this same spin on gaming, but of course a lot of the 'sandbox' type RPG's that have come out over the past decade will allow you to play as good or bad as you wish.

Gentlegamer

Re: Playing as the bad guys?

Postby Gentlegamer » August 4th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I always maxed out the a-hole meter in the Mass Effect games.

Return to “Video Games General”