Bethsedia Threatens Seller of Used Game

General and high profile video game topics.
pacman000

Bethsedia Threatens Seller of Used Game

Postby pacman000 » August 11th, 2018, 8:33 am

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/20 ... azon-block

They're trying to get around the 1st sake doctrine by claiming that the game is materially different, since it won't have a warranty. :evil:

pacman000

Re: Bethsedia Threatens Seller of Used Game

Postby pacman000 » August 11th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Ah their issue was with him calling it "new."

'He's not trying to sell a secondhand game, he's trying to sell a new game," he told me. "He was listing the product as if it was new. All we're saying is if it's a previously owned product, you have to sell it as a previously owned product - you cannot represent it's new because we have no way to verify what you're selling actually is new.

"You could have opened it up, played it for five hours, taken whatever inserts or stuff was in there, put it back in shrink wrap and said, 'Hey this is new.' It's not new - you owned it, you bought it, so just list it as a used title. That's it, that's the end of the argument.

"We're not trying to stop anybody from selling used games," he clarified. "People sell used games all the time - we understand that, we're not trying to stop that.'

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ame-seller

That's a bit more understandable.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 16th, 2018, 6:54 pm

While that explanation is a little better than the original article made things seem, I still don't agree with it. When I buy or sell on ebay or Amazon, it should be up to me how I represent the item that I'm selling. To me, if I never opened it, then I want to represent it as "New" condition. And I think most buyers would consider a sealed game to be "New" condition. Frankly I don't care what Bethsedia's definition of "new" turns out to be... once the game is in my hands, it's up to me to decide how to describe its condition, and only the selling platform (i.e. ebay) or the buyers should be able to tell me if I'm describing it wrong.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 16th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Isn't this just New In Box or NIB?

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » August 18th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Bethesda have been doing this for years.

Return to “Video Games General”