THQ Rises from the grave!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Re: THQ Rises from the grave!

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2018, 4:53 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle For Bikini Bottom 2 please. Legitimately one of the best 3D platformers of its generation and one of the greatest licensed video games ever.

Might possibly happen considering that THQ Nordic got the Nickelodeon license again.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 19th, 2019, 10:52 am

Update: THQ Nordic gets back Vigil Games thanks to buying Gunfire Games the successor of Vigil Games ex employes: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/thq-nordic- ... fire-games and they got back the MotoGP license thanks to buying Milestone srl: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/thq-nordic- ... estone-srl, turns out THQ is coming back after all.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 19th, 2019, 12:24 pm

THQ did good original IPs? Please list, as the few games I remember having a good time from them were licensed games they developed or THQ just published (Sega games for example).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 19th, 2019, 12:39 pm

MSR1701 wrote:THQ did good original IPs? Please list, as the few games I remember having a good time from them were licensed games they developed or THQ just published (Sega games for example).

OG THQ games list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games and here is the successor company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_Nordic_games

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 19th, 2019, 7:24 pm

So, they're like the old THQ, but with lessons learned and a commitment towards honoring the best of their history?

Damn, why couldn't they have gotten the Atari license? Or at least given advice to Sega?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 19th, 2019, 7:52 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:So, they're like the old THQ, but with lessons learned and a commitment towards honoring the best of their history?

Damn, why couldn't they have gotten the Atari license? Or at least given advice to Sega?

Considering that THQ Nordic bought a few Infogrames Atari ips like Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive, Silver, Act of War and Alone in the Dark why not, in fact Atari SA only has 9 million in the bank for their VCS console which is not enough with THQ Nordic financial backing it can help.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 19th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:THQ did good original IPs? Please list, as the few games I remember having a good time from them were licensed games they developed or THQ just published (Sega games for example).

OG THQ games list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games and here is the successor company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_Nordic_games

I'll ask again, what original IP, non licensed (example, WWF, SpongeBob) and non-other company developed n published (example, Sonic Advance, Destruction Derby 64) was worth remembering?

I recall Juiced being good in mags, but never played it. Most of the THQ GBC/GBA releases were licensed or just published by THQ.

They had some decent licensed stuff (not Wayforward good, but better than some others), but tons of dregs that weigh down their name.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 19th, 2019, 8:41 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:

I'll ask again, what original IP, non licensed (example, WWF, SpongeBob) and non-other company developed n published (example, Sonic Advance, Destruction Derby 64) was worth remembering?

I recall Juiced being good in mags, but never played it. Most of the THQ GBC/GBA releases were licensed or just published by THQ.

They had some decent licensed stuff (not Wayforward good, but better than some others), but tons of dregs that weigh down their name.

Notable THQ original ip franchises owned by the THQ Nordic family Darksiders (remastered on all 8th gen consoles including Wii U along with a 3rd main entry and a prequel spin off that is coming to everything including Stadia), De Blob (remastered on all 8th gen consoles save for Wii U), Destroy All Humans! (remake coming to everything but Switch :( and Atari VCS :lol:), Homefront through Koch Media, Metro also through Koch Media, MX vs. ATV, Red Faction, MotoGP through Milestone and Koch Media, Saints Row also through Koch Media along with Volition which along with Rainbow Studios are the only former THQ studios to care over along with Gunfire Games having ex-Vigil Games staff for Darksiders.

Notable THQ ips owned by other studios post original THQ closing list: Warhammer 40,000 series and Company of Heroes series owned by Sega with Relic Entertainment dev team (hope Sega sells the Warhammer 40,000 series and Company of Heroes series and Relic Entertainment back to THQ Nordic as Sega is bleeding money!), Homeworld through Gearbox Software (I hope this ip gets away from the evil Randy Pitchford aka Randy Pitchfork and goes back to THQ Nordic, if Borderlands 3 under performers, maybe they will sell it back to THQ Nordic why not.), Drawn to Life is currently owned by 505 Games, (hope that 505 Games sells that back to THQ Nordic as 505 Games has done little with that ip.)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 19th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Wouldn't Warhammer be considered licensed, being based on a tabletop game?

Good list, forgot THQ ran the Drawn to Life series.

They also did the uDraw tablet, and BOY did they screw that idea up. I was working retail during the entire shelf life of that thing, and did we have parents asking for more games for it... most of what THQ put out was crap, though the core uDraw game n the Kung Fu Panda were decent. Then again, the uDraw was right before THQ imploded...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 19th, 2019, 8:58 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Wouldn't Warhammer be considered licensed, being based on a tabletop game?

Good list, forgot THQ ran the Drawn to Life series.

They also did the uDraw tablet, and BOY did they screw that idea up. I was working retail during the entire shelf life of that thing, and did we have parents asking for more games for it... most of what THQ put out was crap, though the core uDraw game n the Kung Fu Panda were decent. Then again, the uDraw was right before THQ imploded...

Good point about Warhammer, but that one was sold to Sega however. And they do own the uDraw tablet rights and mind you THQ Nordic has recently partnered with Limited Run Games for Red Faction PS4 PS2 classics and Shenmue 3 limited editions for PS4 and PC. Rumors have it that Limited Run Games could re-release the uDraw tablet and supported games for PS3 and original Wii, as Limited Run Games did reproductions on the old Star Wars games for cart systems. And Limited Run Games hints they might do Wii stuff and has done PS3 stuff so why not, although the only uDraw games they can re-release are uDraw Studios and Instant Artist, Dood's Big Adventure, and SpongeBob SquigglePants, and that it the rest of the uDraw games are abandoned licenses like Disney, Marvel and DreamWorks Animation that are expired are moved to other companies the licenses.

Return to “Video Games General”