THQ Rises from the grave!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

THQ Rises from the grave!

Postby Sonicx9 » August 18th, 2018, 1:09 am

In case you guys have been hiding under a rock the former now-defunct old THQ has risen from the grave thanks to Nordic Games and the many acquired ips from the now defunct THQ. It basically a company reboot taking what was good about old THQ and getting rid of the bad from old THQ. But to let people know about the behind the scenes it all started in early 2013. First the Homefront series was acquired by Crytek which later on sold it to Koch Media/Deep Silver to something related with them and Nordic Games later on. Koch Media/Deep Silver the same one that would get the Homefront ip from Crytek got Volition studio and the Saints Row franchise along with the Metro franchise. But the most important turning point of THQ rising from the grave came in April 2013 when Nordic Games a small obscure company out of nowhere bought most of the important THQ ips, and a year later in 2014 Nordic Games bought the THQ trademark and logo to be used as a publishing label as a step of rebuilding THQ back together again. In 2016 Nordic Games was renamed THQ Nordic to help give a better name better associate with the historic brand. But two years later they bought out Koch Media/Deep Silver to return Homefront, Volition studio and the Saints Row franchise along with the Metro franchise all to return to THQ Nordic home to unit them together again. And a month later THQ Nordic got back the Nickelodeon license not long after Activision drop the license as a way to make THQ Nordic more akin to the old THQ.

But even though THQ Nordic did a great job at rebooting the company and getting the most important stuff back into the umbrella. I did notice a list of things that did not return back to THQ Nordic and the likely hood of THQ Nordic re-acquiring the ips/studios/licenses from the current said owners of the missing ips/studios/licenses. I was inspired by this recent "The 15 Missing Stages of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! Which Ones Haven’t Yet Made the Cut?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63S5HWbK6lo and the likely hood of them returning are not so lets get started.

Relic Entertainment along with both Warhammer 40,000 series and Company of Heroes series are owned by Sega along with another Relic Entertainment ip owned by another company that I will talk about later. And the likely hood of THQ Nordic buying them back from Sega is likely considering Sega can bleed money from time to time, and considering THQ Nordic is more financially stable and those said ips are more THQ/THQ Nordic like brands then Sega brands anyways I think it likely to return someday especially if Sega looses money and does not need Relic Entertainment along with both Warhammer 40,000 series and Company of Heroes series anymore and can sell it to THQ Nordic to use the money for Sega case to focus more on their many in house ips.

South Park: The Stick of Truth and THQ's Montreal studios to Ubisoft is rather unlikely considering Ubisoft made strong money earned from South Park: The Stick of Truth along with them making South Park: The Fractured But Whole later on, and THQ's Montreal studios only did ports of THQ/THQ Nordic ips like Homefront and Darksiders, so no loss.

The Homeworld series to Gearbox Software is likely to return to THQ Nordic along with the mentioned Relic Entertainment related stuff, and considering that Homeworld is not being heavily used by Gearbox Software and considering that THQ Nordic at this point is far larger then Gearbox and if Gearbox has financial problems, then THQ Nordic can buy it from them to have the missing Relic Entertainment ips the biggest thing missing along with one major license owned by a major company and a smaller ip owned by a smaller company which I will explain later on.

Drawn to Life is currently owned by 505 Games, and I think this is likely to return as 505 Games does not use that ip a lot and considering that THQ Nordic at this point is far larger then 505 Games, and if 505 Games loses money/does not need Drawn to Life anymore, then they can sell it to THQ Nordic to return to it proper umbrella home of THQ Nordic.

The license for games based on Mattel's Barbie and Monster High product brands to Little Orbit is rather unlikely as that is useless shovel-ware that no one wants, so this will likely never return which is a good thing.

The license for WWE games and Turtle Rock Studio's Evolve franchise to Take-Two Interactive are both unlikely which is unfortunately for the former as the WWE license is rather expensive along with the fact that Take-Two Interactive is a largeer company along with the fact that Take-Two Interactive is still making millions on the WWE brand for games, and the Evolve franchise was a flop and no one cares about it anymore which is no loss for that, but unfortunately WWE will not return to THQ Nordic any time soon.

So their you have it a company that was thought to be dead has mostly rebuild it self thanks to Nordic Games and Koch Media/Deep Silver uniting together with the THQ trademark for Nordic Games case. What do you guys think of this unexpected comeback and do you think Nordic Games is heading THQ in the right direction?

GameOfThrones

Re: THQ Rises from the grave!

Postby GameOfThrones » August 18th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Nope. Not THQ.
Nordic rebranded themselves THQ Nordic as they own the rights to the name. Though at least they are going back through the catalogue producing pretty good games.

They could be like Infogrames, sorry I mean Atari. Going back and destroying everything the old Atari built.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 18th, 2018, 5:57 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:Nope. Not THQ.
Nordic rebranded themselves THQ Nordic as they own the rights to the name. Though at least they are going back through the catalogue producing pretty good games.

They could be like Infogrames, sorry I mean Atari. Going back and destroying everything the old Atari built.

I know that Nordic Games is not THQ, but they have been in the slow process as of the last 5 years rebuilding the defunct brand as close to the pre-2013 bankruptcy company it once was, only missing 5 major things with 4 likely to comeback someday and the other unlikely to comeback which is WWE. And unlike Infogrames/new Atari, I think THQ Nordic is not trying the same mistakes as the former as they take the acquired ips seriously.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 23rd, 2018, 12:59 pm

I miss Stalvern on this one.....

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 23rd, 2018, 9:56 pm

matmico399 wrote:I miss Stalvern on this one.....

Why?

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » August 23rd, 2018, 11:04 pm

THQ "Died" back in the early 2010's because they had built an empire they could not control and had not predicted how badly things could get through poor marketing and bad ideas. The UDraw tablet was a disaster that should've meant the end by itself but THQ only died off after they put out Homefront and defaulted.

This new THQ with Nordic Games might be like the old days but as with modern gaming we don't want to get our full hope up just yet..

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 24th, 2018, 12:16 am

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:THQ "Died" back in the early 2010's because they had built an empire they could not control and had not predicted how badly things could get through poor marketing and bad ideas. The UDraw tablet was a disaster that should've meant the end by itself but THQ only died off after they put out Homefront and defaulted.

This new THQ with Nordic Games might be like the old days but as with modern gaming we don't want to get our full hope up just yet..

True, but at least Nordic Games is taking the best of old THQ while getting rid of the worst from old THQ so far.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 24th, 2018, 5:30 am

Red Faction III please. None of that TPS garbage, either.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 24th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Robotrek wrote:Red Faction III please. None of that TPS garbage, either.

THQ Nordic said they are planing on doing new games from old THQ ips.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 8th, 2018, 4:12 pm

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle For Bikini Bottom 2 please. Legitimately one of the best 3D platformers of its generation and one of the greatest licensed video games ever.

Return to “Video Games General”