Most Disappointing Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: Most Disappointing Games?

Postby Voor » August 30th, 2018, 9:23 am

Probably Ninja Turtles for the NES. Granted, it’s a decent game, but it was disappointing for those of us expecting a game similar to the arcade.

Of course, TMNT 2 was that game, and they fully made up for it years later with Turtles in Time. :)

Sut

Postby Sut » August 30th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Final Fight for the Atari ST.
I was and still am a massive fan of this game and was super hyped when it was announced to be coming home.
The screenshots looked amazing in the magazines with gargantuan sprites looking just like the arcade.

Soon as the game was released straight down to John Menzies to buy the game.

Booted the game up -
Arcade intro - check
All 3 characters - check
Simultaneous 2 player - check
Good graphics - check

Then reality dawns to mimic the massive sprites the frame rate was garbage the scrolling was atrocious. Enemy placement was all other the place and nothing like the arcade. You got bum rushed by 3 enemies including a Bill Bull straight off the bat.
Still played the thing to death but it was way below the arcade or Sega CD version.

I would like to say I learned my lesson but US Gold did the same with ST port of Street Fighter 2. Damn you US Gold !

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 30th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Tales of Zestiria, PS4. I already wrote a review of this, but when a game series' only real selling point is that it tells awesome stories, getting rid of the story and forcing the player to watch a cast of cardboard cutouts read lines for ten minutes at a time is probably a bad a idea. Especially since the gameplay consists of running around an "open world" that makes OoT's Hyrule Field look as exciting as The Witcher 3,

Tron

Postby Tron » August 30th, 2018, 11:25 pm

jon wrote:Sony made good first party games for the PS1 the first year or two. But then 989 took over, and Twisted Metal 3 was a big letdown. $50 down the drain. Oh well, at least the soundtrack was 1 millionth as good as TM 2's.

True dat yo. TM 2 is still the best in the whole series.

Speaking of switching producers when Nintendo handed the reigns to Camelot for their golf games it really sucked. Best Nintendo golf game is still NES Open on the original Fer crying out loud.

Biggest and most recent disappointment was Fallout 4. Factions suck. AI sucks. Story sucks. Everything sucks sucks.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 31st, 2018, 10:20 am

For me it's always been Actraiser 2. I was SOOOO disappointed to finish the first side scrolling level and discover that they had eliminated the RPG element of the game, which was what put the original on a pedestal for me.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 31st, 2018, 12:45 pm

Bioshock Infinite. Loved the first two Bioshocks but Infinite was such a big letdown for me.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 31st, 2018, 12:49 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:For me it's always been Actraiser 2. I was SOOOO disappointed to finish the first side scrolling level and discover that they had eliminated the RPG element of the game, which was what put the original on a pedestal for me.

Oh man, this was such a huge disappointment for me as well.

I mean, if the game was still playable then I could forgive omitting the RPG element, but unfortunately it is not. The terrible controls and infuriating stage designs ruin it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 31st, 2018, 1:36 pm

mbd36 wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:For me it's always been Actraiser 2. I was SOOOO disappointed to finish the first side scrolling level and discover that they had eliminated the RPG element of the game, which was what put the original on a pedestal for me.

Oh man, this was such a huge disappointment for me as well.

I mean, if the game was still playable then I could forgive omitting the RPG element, but unfortunately it is not. The terrible controls and infuriating stage designs ruin it.

Ha! ActRaiser (clearly) is one of my favorite games of all times. Finding out the sequel didn't include what made the first so great, I never even bothered with it.

There was a good article on the making of ActRaiser 2 a while back. Apparently, they didn't have enough budget to do the world building so they scrapped that side of it entirely.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 31st, 2018, 3:58 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Bioshock Infinite. Loved the first two Bioshocks but Infinite was such a big letdown for me.

I read this a lot, I actually enjoyed it though.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 1st, 2018, 8:42 am

Sut wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:Bioshock Infinite. Loved the first two Bioshocks but Infinite was such a big letdown for me.

I read this a lot, I actually enjoyed it though.

I enjoyed it too! I enjoyed it as much as BioShock 2. However, the first BioShock is still one of the best games ever for me - not even the sequels can match it!

Some other disappointing games:
Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - looks fantastic, but not so much fun
Sonic: Lost World (3DS) - I was really looking forwards to this one! But again, fantastic graphics, average (sometimes even tedious) gameplay
Tetris 2 (Game Boy) - Yuck.
Xeodrifter - it had many great reviews and I liked the pixelated graphics, but man I hate this game. (I admit that's because the game is too hard for me...)
Every SimCity game that came after SimCity 2000 - 3000, 4, that horrible Wii game, I couldn't enjoy them as much as part 2000.

Return to “Video Games General”