Most Disappointing Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Most Disappointing Games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 26th, 2018, 11:51 pm

I'm always thinking about a new list to put together, and I think "most disappointing games" could be a fun idea. I thought about it while writing my review of the horrible Escape from Monkey Island. Also Bomberman 64.

I'm not sure if these games would need to be sequels or not, so ET could be a candidate. I'm sure we can all think of a few off the top of our heads. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sonicx9

Re: Most Disappointing Games?

Postby Sonicx9 » August 27th, 2018, 12:25 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm always thinking about a new list to put together, and I think "most disappointing games" could be a fun idea. I thought about it while writing my review of the horrible Escape from Monkey Island. Also Bomberman 64.

I'm not sure if these games would need to be sequels or not, so ET could be a candidate. I'm sure we can all think of a few off the top of our heads. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have two in mind Spyro - Season Of Ice and Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly these two games killed my love for Spyro back then and haunt me to this day!

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » August 27th, 2018, 4:02 am

I guess one of the most disappointing games to me was Toshinden for the Wii. Just because it had no relation to the previous games in the series.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 27th, 2018, 6:46 am

Myst had one of the worst endings I've ever seen, a real poke in the eye. I more or less saw it coming, but I figured that the game surely wouldn't waste my time so blatantly, that there would turn out to be some point to collecting all those pages. Nope!

I bought Sonic Adventure 2: Battle after a friend showed me the Sonic and Shadow levels. They turned out to be not even half of the game. I got rid of it when one of the already worthless Knuckles levels spawned a gem in an unreachable location.

One of my few completely blind video game buys was Ace Combat 5; I figured that I couldn't go wrong with an arcade dogfighting game. The review here articulates my impression exactly.

I'm sure that Shadow of the Colossus is actually a great game, but the frame rate was so horrible that I thought there was something wrong with my PS2. I gave up on it after the first Colossus.

My expectations for HSX weren't especially high, but I thought that "Wipeout with a track editor" would be impossible for me to not enjoy. How wrong I was. (This game had an awful frame rate too, despite its rudimentary graphics.)

I didn't buy Lair... but my brother did. In the room with him while he was playing the game, I could feel the sheer effort he was making to enjoy it.

Digital: A Love Story really sucked me in at the beginning with the promise of a moving little drama about lonely kids in the '80s (played out on an impressively accurate Amiga desktop). I won't spoil the twist of the actual plot, but I will say that I really, really didn't need the story to turn into an X-Files episode.

Armikrog was a wet fart of a game in its own right, but it was truly heartbreaking as a follow-up to The Neverhood, my favorite game ever. The sheer absence of imagination in any area besides the visuals (which, to be fair, did live up to its heritage) was almost enough for me to wonder if everyone involved simply had traumatic head injuries at some point in the intervening years.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 27th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Over the years, I have appreciated Streets of Rage 3 better than when I bought it, back in 1994. I was 13 then and I thought (and still think) Streets of Rage 2 is one of the best games ever made. SOR3 didn't live up to expectations that time - and therefore it was one of the most disappointing games for me (I especially hated the music - what had happened??). But as said, I have started to like the game better over the years. But in 1994 it was a huge disappointment.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 27th, 2018, 3:41 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Over the years, I have appreciated Streets of Rage 3 better than when I bought it, back in 1994. I was 13 then and I thought (and still think) Streets of Rage 2 is one of the best games ever made. SOR3 didn't live up to expectations that time - and therefore it was one of the most disappointing games for me (I especially hated the music - what had happened??). But as said, I have started to like the game better over the years. But in 1994 it was a huge disappointment.

Have you tried the Japanese version of SOR3? It's supposed to be better than the US version (I have forgotten why).

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 27th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Back in the day, Atari 2600 Pac-Man had to be the most disappointing arcade port.

Dreamcast Daytona was a colossal disappointment for me personally. I was a huge fan of Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer Type 4, and was really looking forward to this one, and the controls were awful. I couldn't control it.

jon

Postby jon » August 27th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Sony made good first party games for the PS1 the first year or two. But then 989 took over, and Twisted Metal 3 was a big letdown. $50 down the drain. Oh well, at least the soundtrack was 1 millionth as good as TM 2's.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » August 28th, 2018, 9:24 am

I've got quite a few, almost 100 different games But I'll only discuss (about 3) but they have their reasons:

Need For Speed:PayBack, And to think that I thought that the 2015 Reboot of Need For Speed was bad, But this takes the cake in many ways because mainly it had very little content for a game that used to be as legendary as the NFS series.. It only allowed a small garage, it didn't have very good customization which is what made the series and it had a laughable/horrible soundtrack.. But Payback gave us ironicly far too much of a good thing with too much stuff to do at once and many of the cars.. Are DLC locked.

Lego Island 2:The Brickster's Revenge On Gameboy Advance, I did like the first game because it was my first adventure game on PC and while it was somewhat of a glorified "Activity Center", It did have it's charm but it's PC sequel was dreadful and this GBA port was even worse. Combining a typical top down adventure game with some of the hardest mini games ever made in lego history I still regret ever seeing it at an Walmart back in the early 2000's.

Mace:The Dark Age, I enjoy fighting games like many other gamers but there has to be quality, And while some of the N64 fighting games did not have much quality.. At lease they had creativity, Mace does not have either and is one N64 game I'm sure the Critic would want to see to mock how bad it is. How bad? It's controls are not working a lot of the time and the fatalities craze had to be added.. If only they weren't so insulting (like turning an enemy into a chicken). :evil: :evil:

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 29th, 2018, 9:20 pm

For me, any Sonic game in 3D. Even the first two on the Dreamcast do not play anywhere near as well as a good 2D Sonic. Weird to think with what consoles can do today that the best Sonic games are on a nearly 30 year old console.

Return to “Video Games General”