Madden Tournament Shooting

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Madden Tournament Shooting

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 27th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I know this guy probably had mental health issues but I'm a little concerned about gamers dedicating their entire life to certain games. Video games are supposed to be light diversions. With the dawn of "eSports" I feel like they are being taken way too seriously. People are investing too much into it, and that's not healthy.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/ ... asualties/

And while I'm not a fan of online play, it certainly is much safer.

Retro STrife

Re: Madden Tournament Shooting

Postby Retro STrife » August 28th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I've been following this story a bit more than the usual news, since it's video game related. I'm still hoping to learn more news about the motive here. Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy as saying people shouldn't take games so seriously... People might have said that about football, or basketball, or baseball at one point -- they're just games too. If you can make a living doing it, it's tough to knock it. With viewers and sponsors now investing millions in eSports, there can be good money for players to win if they actually have the skill to pull it off. According to the EA Sports website, the two victims that died each had career winnings of over $50,000 and were signed to sponsored teams. Not a bad second job for some people. I assume certain other players make much more. Plus, from a mental health standpoint, I'm sure it can be very fulfilling to become one of the best in the world at something and be part of that close-knit tournament community, even if it has its stresses too. Of course, like all things, the opposite can occur too.

One theme I've seen after this tragedy is people complaining about the security at the event. I'm not sure how many participants were involved in this event, but if it's a small event I imagine it presents logistical and cost issues to get have security there -- especially armed security. I mean, this tourney was just inside of a restaurant. But for big events and conventions, I do hope this encourages more security than they've used in the past.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 28th, 2018, 12:59 pm

The gaming aspect doesn't make this story any different from other recent shootings. The shooter was a disturbed individual with a documented history of mental health issues who got hold of a gun.

eSports are no different from professional chess. They require skill and dedication, and, at the upper levels of competition, showcase a high degree of professionalism and intellectual ability. The disappointment of losing a pro gaming match does not cause someone to go on a murder spree. The combination of mental problems and access to weapons does.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 28th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Retro STrife wrote:One theme I've seen after this tragedy is people complaining about the security at the event. I'm not sure how many participants were involved in this event, but if it's a small event I imagine it presents logistical and cost issues to get have security there -- especially armed security. I mean, this tourney was just inside of a restaurant. But for big events and conventions, I do hope this encourages more security than they've used in the past.

Yeah, following that logic we should have security checkpoints at every large public establishment - every school, mall, movie theater, etc.

I don't know the statistics on this but whenever we're in the Philippines you don't enter a single major establishment without having your person and any bags or purses scanned through a metal detector. Couldn't hurt to have the same setup here.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 28th, 2018, 1:46 pm

ptdebate wrote:The gaming aspect doesn't make this story any different from other recent shootings. The shooter was a disturbed individual with a documented history of mental health issues who got hold of a gun.

eSports are no different from professional chess. They require skill and dedication, and, at the upper levels of competition, showcase a high degree of professionalism and intellectual ability. The disappointment of losing a pro gaming match does not cause someone to go on a murder spree. The combination of mental problems and access to weapons does.

Yeah. There are people who compete at a high level in Scrabble, Rubiks Cube, crossword puzzles, etc. Nothing wrong with being passionate about your hobby as long as you don't take it _too_ far.

Steve

Postby Steve » August 28th, 2018, 3:35 pm

There are two aspects of this particular incident that I find disturbing as opposed to other recent tragedies. First, while shootings have occurred in public places before (including restaurants), this one just strikes me as being a little more vulnerable to specific targeting. It's hard to put in words but I almost feel we are at the point where if someone is angry at a specific business or person (which one may never know), it's not safe to go into that business or be around that person. Someone doesn't get their order correct at Taco Bell, they can come back to shoot up the place. Even if not a direct shooting victim, I can only imagine how traumatizing just being present would be. Past shootings, at least superficially and certainly not all, seem to be the result of someone who just intends to kill and while anger may be directed at someone, something, or just an optimal target, this one seems to be a result of "If I am wronged, I'm going to kill someone". I can't help but wonder if this person won the competition, would there have been no shooting? The second aspect of this episode, although I've been leaning towards this for other reasons, is that this just makes me want to avoid people as much as possible. When I was younger, I found myself easily giving someone 'the eye' if they bumped into me in line, said, or did something that I found mildly annoying, or even just because I wasn't in the mood to deal with a situation. To a certain extent, I still find myself doing similar things. For example, if someone is making a scene at an establishment, even if it doesn't remotely involve me, I find myself just wanting to distance myself. I don't want to find myself in front of a hostile person saying "what are you looking at?" and taking some kind of action.

I'm sad for society, including people that can't get the help they so desperately need.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2018, 4:56 pm

What bothers me is this guy had a long history of mental illness - including the need for anti-psychotic drugs and he had to be sent to a special place in Utah. And yet he was legally able to purchase multiple weapons?

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 28th, 2018, 7:41 pm

This thread can only go in one direction and that’s down.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 28th, 2018, 8:17 pm

The purchase of a gun is based on a person’s criminal history, not their mental health. If you start evaluating every potential gun owner’s mental health, you’re gonna run into a bunch of HIPPA issues. And where do you draw the line? Still, I agree that this issue regarding mental health needs to be addressed immediately.

I have family who are big into guns and are constantly telling me that I need to get a concealed weapon. Honestly, I hate guns and would rather move to another country than pack one around for protection.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Voor wrote:The purchase of a gun is based on a person’s criminal history, not their mental health. If you start evaluating every potential gun owner’s mental health, you’re gonna run into a bunch of HIPPA issues. And where do you draw the line? Still, I agree that this issue regarding mental health needs to be addressed immediately.

I have family who are big into guns and are constantly telling me that I need to get a concealed weapon. Honestly, I hate guns and would rather move to another country than pack one around for protection.

Thanks Voor. This was informative. I never even considered the HIPPA aspect.

Return to “Video Games General”