Video Game Culture in the NHL

General and high profile video game topics.
bluenote

Video Game Culture in the NHL

Postby bluenote » August 30th, 2018, 9:42 am

Here's an interesting article on how popular video gaming is with younger NHL hockey players:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl ... nite-rage/

The article is showing how much video gaming is the main off ice obsession with players, and has replaced playing cards or going to the bars. One thing I noticed: there was no mention of these players playing action/adventure or rpg games. They all seem to be multiplayer shooters (mostly Fortnight) or sports games.

Any thoughts on this? Back in the 80s and 90s, I can't imagine many hockey players admitting to playing video games, as the perception back then was they are childish/nerdy. Now, it seems that gaming is the big thing with NHLers.

Retro STrife

Re: Video Game Culture in the NHL

Postby Retro STrife » August 30th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I think this applies to most of the other major sports too. I don't follow the NHL too closely, but I've noticed it a lot with the NFL and NBA, going back at least a decade now. Series like Madden and NBA 2K have made players comfortable talking about playing games in the locker room. There doesn't seem to be any stigma among players when they discuss it -- most openly admit to enjoying games, if they play them. In fact, earlier this season, MLB pitcher David Price of the Red Sox ran into controversy over his Fornite addiction and whether it was the cause of his decreased performance and a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome. Here's that story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

Most of the time though, there's a positive spin on gaming among players, often as a way of building bonds in the clubhouse by playing competitive games against each other. It's not surprising to me that sports and shooters are the most common genres. Two main reasons... #1, if you're going to play with teammates, you need multiplayer games. And #2, most professional athlete are usually very very competitive by their nature.. they have to be to get to where they are in life..so, the qualities that make you capable of being a professional athlete are the same ones that make you prefer games that provide a competitive outlet.

David

Postby David » August 30th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I feel like there’s a persecution complex with some people who enjoy gaming. Like gamers are so desperate to point out “see look, athletes play games too!” It’s pretty common I feel with everyone, 40 years and younger especially, because those are the people who grew up with gaming. Look how many people play fantasy football, which is just a bunch of dorks getting together and drafting men who play football onto their fake teams and talk about said players’ statistics. Every hobby is pretty much fair game at this point.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2018, 11:46 am

I was watching the show Last Chance U on Netflix, and noticed that while the young players were poor and didn't have many possessions, having a decent TV and Madden football was a priority.

I guess if a particular sport is your life, video games let you immense yourself in it even when you're not on the field. Makes sense.

Return to “Video Games General”