Halloween Games Suggestions

General and high profile video game topics.
Gentlegamer

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby Gentlegamer » September 9th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Even though you've posted another's reviews, play the Souls games, especially Demon's Souls and redeem yourself for your terrible Bloodborne review.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 10th, 2018, 10:28 am

I think it's time you track down the Famicom Splatterhouse game: Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti

It's a very strange entry in the Splatterhouse franchise, but very playable. Plus it's perfect for this time of year.

You might also want to track down Kid Dracula for the original Gameboy. It's technically part of the Castlevania series (it's a spinoff). I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 10th, 2018, 11:47 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Even though you've posted another's reviews, play the Souls games, especially Demon's Souls and redeem yourself for your terrible Bloodborne review.

My review of Demon's Souls for the site was deliberately modest, tailored to the Critic's approach. I'm afraid that if he tries it, he might dock the score because it comes off as very hostile to the casual player. Persevere, of course, and that hostility is the key to unlocking the game's extremely high entertainment value.

For me personally it will always be an A+ game. I rank it above any Zelda, Mario, or Final Fantasy.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 10th, 2018, 11:47 am

Haunted House on the 2600 and Dracula on the INTV.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 10th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Even though you've posted another's reviews, play the Souls games, especially Demon's Souls and redeem yourself for your terrible Bloodborne review.

Passive-aggressive much?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 10th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:

Passive-aggressive much?

It's certainly something, but I'm not detecting any passivity there... ;)

You can certainly count on Gentlegamer to say it straight.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 10th, 2018, 2:00 pm

ptdebate wrote:

My review of Demon's Souls for the site was deliberately modest, tailored to the Critic's approach. I'm afraid that if he tries it, he might dock the score because it comes off as very hostile to the casual player.

It's no more difficult or hostile in the modern context than Castlevania or Ghouls n' Ghosts are for the classic context.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 10th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

My review of Demon's Souls for the site was deliberately modest, tailored to the Critic's approach. I'm afraid that if he tries it, he might dock the score because it comes off as very hostile to the casual player.

It's no more difficult or hostile in the modern context than Castlevania or Ghouls n' Ghosts are for the classic context.

Oh - totally - I agree with you. I think the Critic has come to expect the kind of guided, easily approachable style many modern games adopt. If you look at what modern single-player experiences rate the highest for him - Call of Duty campaigns, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc. you'll see that even though he is very much a retro gamer who has mastered those old classics, when it comes to modern games the standards have shifted a bit. I really think if he took the time to get into a Dark Souls-type game, it might change his mind about this once he sees how brilliant they really are. But admittedly, I didn't like Demon's Souls the very first time I played it, until a couple hours in and I beat the first boss and suddenly "got" it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 10th, 2018, 3:09 pm

His Bloodborne review is actually what convinced me to join the rpg review team and take care if the Dark Souls games before he gave them bad reviews too, lol

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 10th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hah! Prior to a kid, yard, dog, etc I loved taking on a challenge and mastering a game fully. Now...give me the easy mode and let me experience as much of a rush as I can in under 30 minute increments. This crap of instant death, wait a couple of minutes for it to re-load, try again - No, thank you.

Return to “Video Games General”