Halloween Games Suggestions

General and high profile video game topics.
User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 973
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby ptdebate » September 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Hah! Prior to a kid, yard, dog, etc I loved taking on a challenge and mastering a game fully. Now...give me the easy mode and let me experience as much of a rush as I can in under 30 minute increments. This crap of instant death, wait a couple of minutes for it to re-load, try again - No, thank you.


I think that's one area where a lot of us take issue with the review. It's not instant death - far from it. You have a health meter that decreases proportionately to the damage taken. And the load times are much over-exaggerated. By the way, don't you lose progress in a Zelda Dungeon when you die and have to reload?

The lack of a difficulty selection doesn't have anything do do with online multiplayer. It's because difficulty sliders are built into the game's mechanics. It's an RPG. Want to best those early-game challenges and breeze through the game? Just level up your character and gear until you can hold your own. Want to test your action gaming skill? Try to play through without leveling up at all. It's much more flexible and interesting than a toggle that globally nerfs enemy stats. There's nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy a game on your own terms, but traditional "Easy Mode" settings are just boring.

mediamike
Posts: 4
Joined: September 10th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby mediamike » September 11th, 2018, 10:26 am

Here's a good pick for the Master System (although sadly no U.S. release.) Master of Darkness. It's the Master System's answer to Castlevania.

Not exactly original, but it actually controls better than the NES inspiration. Game gear version too, but I am not familiar with it.

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 13th, 2018, 2:52 am

If you're looking for games you've already reviewed we think should be added go the list, then I'm surprised none of the Doom games are on there, seeing as how they're some if the original "scary" games.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 973
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby ptdebate » September 13th, 2018, 9:18 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:If you're looking for games you've already reviewed we think should be added go the list, then I'm surprised none of the Doom games are on there, seeing as how they're some if the original "scary" games.


I dont think Doom really leaned into the scare factor until Doom 3, and new Doom largely eschews it by returning to the franchise's roots. The protagonist is just too powerful for the game to feel scary.

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 13th, 2018, 10:47 am

ptdebate wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:If you're looking for games you've already reviewed we think should be added go the list, then I'm surprised none of the Doom games are on there, seeing as how they're some if the original "scary" games.


I dont think Doom really leaned into the scare factor until Doom 3, and new Doom largely eschews it by returning to the franchise's roots. The protagonist is just too powerful for the game to feel scary.


Even so, he has games on the list that he describes as Doom clones.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 353
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby Gentlegamer » September 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

A game with demons should count for Halloween, even if it gets few tombstones for not being scary.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 793
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby Stalvern » September 13th, 2018, 11:51 am

ptdebate wrote:I dont think Doom really leaned into the scare factor until Doom 3, and new Doom largely eschews it by returning to the franchise's roots. The protagonist is just too powerful for the game to feel scary.

The macabre visual theming is more than enough to put any of the Doom games on a list with such frighteners as Jersey Devil and Muppet Monster Adventure. It's not a list of horror games; it's a list of games to play around Halloween.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 973
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby ptdebate » September 13th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Stalvern wrote:
ptdebate wrote:I dont think Doom really leaned into the scare factor until Doom 3, and new Doom largely eschews it by returning to the franchise's roots. The protagonist is just too powerful for the game to feel scary.

The macabre visual theming is more than enough to put any of the Doom games on a list with such frighteners as Jersey Devil and Muppet Monster Adventure. It's not a list of horror games; it's a list of games to play around Halloween.


Yeah, you're right...I just took another look at the list and there are plenty of non-scary but Halloween-appropriate games represented.

I'd be interested to see a true "Scariest Games" feature from the Critic.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 12057
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 14th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I ordered Halloween 85 and 86 for the NES. I was looking for Obscure on Ebay but it's over $100!
What's the deal? Is it a great game, or just rare?

noah98
Posts: 79
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Re: Halloween Games Suggestions

Postby noah98 » September 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I ordered Halloween 85 and 86 for the NES. I was looking for Obscure on Ebay but it's over $100!
What's the deal? Is it a great game, or just rare?


Both good games, though two is definitely an improvement over one. In the first game, the hopping pumpkins drive me insane! At the very least, they have the Halloween vibe down perfect. Did you get the grey ones or the green/orange translucent shells? I went with the colorful ones since it was the same price. The manuals and boxes were both a nice surprise as well.

I think you should add Batman: Arkham Knight to the Halloween special list. The whole game takes place during Halloween with some really cool decorations.


Return to “Video Games General”