A Retro CD-based Console is being made.

General and high profile video game topics.
Crummylion

A Retro CD-based Console is being made.

Postby Crummylion » September 8th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I just found out about this today. There's apparently a retro console, like the Retron 5, where it plays Nes and Snes games. However, this plays CD based games either physical OR downloaded games REGION-FREE (safe to say it'll be downloading the disc to work like the Retron 5.) There's an add-on to this that lets you play specific cartridge based games for each add-on, like the Sega CD or Turbografx-16 CD but the other way around. Some of the controllers are based the controllers of 5th generation while some are more modern or based on other retro controllers. Here's link to the website so you guys can come up with your own opinion. I think it's interesting and am optimistic about it, it sounds a little too good to be true.

https://www.polymega.com

lynchie137

Re: A Retro CD-based Console is being made.

Postby lynchie137 » October 2nd, 2018, 4:37 pm

I like the idea. But one thing I don't like is that you have to buy each of the cartridge modules seperately. Why not have one base console with three cartridge slots and a disc drive?

Also, where are the Atari games from each console they put out?

ActRaiser

Re: A Retro CD-based Console is being made.

Postby ActRaiser » October 2nd, 2018, 5:16 pm

It seems pretty slick. I could play my old CD-I games!

A super long time ago I bought a CD-I with a bunch of games. For whatever reason it arrived broken and never worked but I didn't want to send it back as it had a Zelda game with it. I always figured I'd get a replacement at some point. Eh, maybe, in retirement.

Although, now that I look at it - no CD-I support. Booo! <kidding> I'd be curious how good the Saturn support actually is. That's got to be tough to pull off.

Return to “Video Games General”